Collection ID: C341
Printable View Printable View

Collection context

Summary

Creator:
Y.W.C.A. Indiana U.
Abstract:
The Indiana University chapter of the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) was founded in 1886 by Mrs. Jenny Bryan, sister to future IU president William Lowe Bryan. Open to all interested women in the Bloomington community, the YWCA aimed to encourage the personal development, religious growth, social sensitivity, and civic responsibility of its members. It sought to provide leadership training in the many areas of life and to provide volunteer leaders for community service in Monroe County. This collection consists of various publications, administrative material and financial records created by the organization from 1929 through 1973.
Extent:
5.4 cubic feet (6 boxes)
Language:
Materials are in English
Preferred citation:

[Item], Indiana University Young Women's Christian Association records, Collection C341, Indiana University Archives, Bloomington.

Background

Biographical / Historical:

In 1886 the Indiana University chapter of the YWCA was founded by Mrs. Jenny Bryan for the purpose of encouraging the personal development, religious growth, social sensitivity, and civic responsibility of its members. A constitution was drafted and in it the organization's hierarchy was laid out with a five part leadership structure including the following: 1) student officers, who were the primary decision making body, 2) the Executive Council, which held ultimate responsibility for the organization's health, direction and finances, 3) a cabinet, responsible for final approval of executive council actions regarding policy, 4) an executive director and a secretary, who were employed to implement and manage organizational policy, and 5) a board of directors, which were elected from each of the following categories: faculty and staff, faculty and staff wives, town women, and unrestricted. Additionally, four voting ex-officio members were drawn from the wives or mothers of the president of the university, one woman from the university board of trustees, one woman from university administration and one more woman recommended by the advisory board to serve in a position of special assistance.

The organization's programming activities included both IU campus specific as well as wider community outreach efforts. For example, from 1932 until at least 1970 the organization was responsible for the campus musical revue IU Sing, and for several years the organization ran a campus orientation known as Freshman Camp. Community wide efforts included but were not limited to classes in karate, yoga and auto mechanics.

Since its origination, there was a continual increase in membership, reaching its height in 1964 with a total of 671 members. However, by May of 1970 (the last year for which data is present) membership had dwindled to only 492 members. There are no records to indicate what happened to the Indiana University YWCA or when it ceased to function. Many of the records from the 1970's seem to indicate a wide programming collaboration with the YMCA, and it is possible though undocumented that the YWCA was simply absorbed by the men's organization.

Scope and Content:

The Indiana University Young Women's Christian Association records are organized into only one series: Subject files (1929-1973) which is arranged alphabetically. Where multiple folders appear for one subject, such as I.U. Sing, the folders are filed chronologically. Within the IU Sing files are both programs from each year the program was produced as well as more general administrative files, including instructions for participants. The collection contains a wide variety of materials including administrative files such as budgets, meeting minutes, annual reports and correspondence and files representing particular Y.W.C.A. programs such as the Chimes of Christmas, International Bazaar and Freshman Camp. There are also several files containing information on current events and topics of interest such as abortion and the American Indian Movement. At the end of the collection there are several files pertaining to the Y.W.C.A. and Y.M.C.A combined programming. Several of the files include historical information that dates as far back as 1892. However, the bulk of the files were created between 1960 and 1972.

Acquisition information:
Accession numbers 7003, 7004, 7005, 7006, 7007, 7063, 7552, 7553, 7554.
Processing information:

Processed by Archives staff.

Completed in 2009

Arrangement:

Organized in a single series, Subject files.

Access

RESTRICTIONS:

Student Recommendations were restricted and placed at the end of the collection.

Advance notice is required for access.

TERMS OF ACCESS:

The donor(s) of this collection have not transferred their copyrights for the materials to the Trustees of Indiana University. For more information, please contact the Indiana University Archives staff.

The Indiana University Archives respects the intellectual property rights of others and does not claim any copyrights for non-university records, materials in the public domain, or materials for which we do not hold a Deed of Gift. Responsibility for the determination of the copyright status of these materials rests with those persons wishing to reuse the materials. Researchers are responsible for securing permission from copyright owners and any other rights holders for any reuse of these materials that extends beyond fair use or other statutory limitations.

Digital reproductions of archival materials from the Indiana University Archives are made available for noncommercial educational and research purposes only. If you are the copyright holder for any of the digitized materials and have questions about its inclusion on our site, please contact the Indiana University Archivist.

PREFERRED CITATION:

[Item], Indiana University Young Women's Christian Association records, Collection C341, Indiana University Archives, Bloomington.

CAMPUS:
Indiana University Bloomington
LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
Herman B Wells Library E460
1320 East Tenth Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-7000, United States
CAMPUS:
Indiana University Bloomington
CONTACT:
812-855-1127
archives@indiana.edu