- Banta, Trudy W. and Banta, Trudy W.
- Trudy Banta is an educator and administrator in the field of higher education outcomes assessment. She retired from her position as Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs and the Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Academic Planning and Evaluation at IUPUI in 2016. Banta spent her career as a leader in higher education assessment, authoring numerous books and journal articles, consulting at campuses all over the country, and developing and coordinating 45 national and international conferences. The Trudy W. Banta Papers consists mainly of Banta's records from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and IUPUI. It includes reports, conference papers, and articles that Banta authored or co-authored; workbooks, brochures, and notes from conferences she attended or at which she presented; and records of her consulting work at campuses around the country.
- 13 cubic feet (13 Cartons)
- English .
- Biographical / Historical:
Dr. Trudy W. Banta is an educator and administrator of university assessment programs who has published and presented nationally and internationally on how to improve university education through outcomes assessment programs. Banta graduated from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) with her doctorate in educational psychology in 1967 and in 1970 began working at the university as an assistant professor in the College of Education. By the time of her move to IUPUI in 1992, she was a professor and director of UTK's Center for Assessment Research and Development. At IUPUI, Dr. Banta was a Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs and the Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Academic Planning and Evaluation.
In 1989, Banta was the founding editor of Assessment Update. She continued as editor and wrote the "Editor's Notes" column until her retirement. While at IUPUI, Dr. Banta established the Office of Planning and Institutional Improvement and, beginning in 1992, she ran the annual Assessment Institute in Indianapolis—a national event that focuses on outcomes assessment in higher education.
Dr. Banta is the author or editor of 20 books and countless articles and reports on assessment. She presented at numerous conferences all over the world and developed and coordinated 45 national and international conferences. Dr. Banta received ten national awards and served as an advisor and consultant on national panels and at colleges across the country. She retired in 2016.
- Scope and Content:
The collection consists mostly of the papers of Dr. Trudy W. Banta from the period of 1970-2016. The bulk of the collection dates from 1979-2016 and is organized into six series: Research Reports, Conferences, Publications, Publications by Other People, Consultancies/Campus Visits, and Administrative Files.
The Research Reports series consists of reports, projects, and presentations of reports by Dr. Banta and her colleagues and contemporaries at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) and at IUPUI. The reports review the creation of assessment programs in higher education. Of particular interest are the materials related to the FIPSE proposals Banta and her colleagues submitted.
The Conferences series contains workbooks, brochures, correspondence, notes, and conference papers from or related to national and international conferences which Banta attended or addressed.
The Publications series features publications, articles, and papers authored, co-authored, or presented by Trudy Banta. Of interest are the "Editor's Notes" columns from volumes 1-15 of Assessment Update, the journal of which Banta was the founding editor. Several of the volumes have missing columns.
The Publications by Other People series consists of publications, articles, and papers by Banta's colleagues and contemporaries, as well as industry publications. The bulk of this series is from 1984-2014.
The Consultancies/Campus Visits series contains reports and correspondence relating to Banta's campus consultancy visits around the country, as well as correspondence and notes related to Banta's consultation work for colleagues and for industry publications.
The Administrative Files series features correspondence with administrators and colleagues as well as records from Banta's time at IUPUI, including clipping files and reference files.
- Acquisition information:
- Presented by Trudy W. Banta, Indianapolis, Indiana, February 23, 2010.
- Rules or conventions:
- DACS-Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- General note:
Rights Statement: The text of this webpage is available for modification and reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).
This collection is open to the public without restriction.
- TERMS OF ACCESS:
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
IUPUI University Library755 West Michigan StreetRoom 0133Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, United States