Search

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Campus Indiana University Bloomington Remove constraint Campus: Indiana University Bloomington Year 2001 Remove constraint Year: <span class="single" data-blrl-single="2001">2001</span>
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

 
Juniper Von Phitzer Press
The Juniper Von Phitzer Press mss., 1719-2012, consists of correspondence, business papers, ephemera, printed materials, reprints of original materials, photographs, albums, and plaques related to the activities of the miniature book publisher Juniper Von Phitzer Press.
 

6. Boerner mss., 1779-2020 4 Boxes (3 standard; 1 custom)

Wolzogen, Caroline von, 1763-1847
The Boerner mss., 1779-1828, consist of manuscripts, journals, and correspondence by and relating to German writers Caroline von Wolzogen, Oskar Seidlin, and Friedrich von Schiller, along with related research material from German literary scholar and Goethe researcher Peter Boerner.
 

7. Translations mss., 1800-2010 2 Boxes (2 standard)

Translations mss., ca. 19th-21st centuries, consist primarily of manuscripts of literary translations, either from a foreign language into English or in some cases from English into another language. Also present are letters from authors to translators of their work or from the translators to the authors they translate.
 
Indiana University Folklore Archives
The Indiana University Folklore Archives was established in 1956 by Richard M. Dorson of the Indiana University Folklore Institute and grew to comprise 40,000 field collections gathered in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky, before closing in 1990. This collection contains the Folklore Archives' administrative files, special collections of prominent folklorists' research materials, reprints of journal articles, bibliographies, a collection of folksongs, and subject files and index cards on topics that include beliefs, customs, games, jokes, and legends.
 
Online
Wells, Herman B
Before becoming president of Indiana University, Herman B Wells served as an assistant cashier at the National Bank of Lebanon before going on to work for the Indiana Bankers Association, the Indiana Commission for Financial Institutions, and the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions. He was named dean of the Indiana University School of Business administration in 1935 by IU President William Lowe Bryan. In 1937 he was named acting president of the university and president the following year, a position he held until 1962. Upon his retirement, IU created the position of University Chancellor, which Dr. Wells held until his death in 2000. This collection consists of Wells' personal papers and includes papers pertaining to his family and personal finances, his activities in the banking profession, his work in Germany for the United States government after World War II, and to his research and teaching and professional activities as a member of the faculty of Indiana University.
 
Weaver, William Fense
The Weaver, W. mss. II, 1833-2006, consists of the correspondence, writings, research, photographs, and teaching materials pertaining to the life and work of literary critic and translator William Weaver, 1923-2013.
 
Online
Indiana University. Trustees
The Indiana University Trustees serve as the governing board of the university. Created in 1820, the current Board meets six times per year. Among the Board's powers are their capacity to possess all the real and personal property of the university; to expend the income of the university; and to all bylaws necessary to carry these powers into effect. The minutes in this collection include official acts, resolutions, policies, agreements, and other business pertaining to the governance of Indiana University between 1838-1859 and 1883-2017.
 

14. Jansen, Peter K. mss., 1836-2005 1 Box (1 standard)

Jansen, Peter K.
The Jansen, Peter K. mss., 1836–2005, consists primarily of manuscripts, drafts, correspondence and other material relating to translations into English from the German made by Peter K. Jansen (1934–2007) over the course of his career.
 
Jay, John, 1918-2008
This collection consists of the family papers of Indiana University alumni John and Hilda Jay. The collection primarily consists of correspondence between John, Hilda, and family or friends largely spanning 1939-2002; personal files containing educational materials, a journal, and a scrapbook; as well as several home movies from circa 1939-1946.
 

17. Arthur R. Metz papers, 1853-2018 6.6 cubic feet (10 boxes)

Metz, Arthur R., 1887-1963
Arthur R. Metz was a student at Indiana University from 1904-1909 and one of the first recipients of the IU Distinguished Alumni Service Award. He was a doctor who served in multiple capacities including for hospitals, railroads, the military, corporations, and universities and also was a member of many medical organizations. The collection consists of Metz's family records, school materials, personal and professional correspondence, personal photographs, military and travel materials and photographs, magazine and newspaper clippings, medical and organizational publications, and professional certificates. There are also papers and photographs documenting the Metz Foundation and Metz Suite.
 
Online
Indiana University. Alumni Association
The Indiana University Alumni Association was founded in 1854 as an organization through which graduates could contribute to the pursuit of university interests. Members of the Association held semi-annual meetings, first as the Alumni Association and later in separate branches, including the Alumni Council, established in 1913 (later called the Executive Council). This collection consists primarily of the minutes of the IU Alumni Association, Alumni Council, Executive Council, and Board of Managers meetings spanning 1854-2011.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Chemistry Library
With a history dating back to 1895, the Chemistry library was initially housed in Wylie Hall, however with the completion of the Chemistry building in the 1930s it relocated and remains in that location to this day. The collection consists primarily of administrative files such as handbook, notes and memos.
 

20. Jay mss., 1864-2005 5 Boxes

Jay, Ricky
The Jay mss., 1864-2005, consist of approximately 325 spirit photographs and related correspondence and printed materials collected by magician Ricky Jay, 1946-2018.
 
Campbell, Robert W. (Robert Wellington), 1926-2015
Robert Campbell was a professor of economics at Indiana University from 1961 until his retirement in 1993, during which he held the positions of chairperson for the Department of Economics and Director of the Russian and East European Institute. He was a scholar of centrally planned economies, especially of the former Soviet Union. The collection consists of materials used for his publication A Biobibliographical Dictionary of Russian and Soviet Economists, records related to his consultations and conferences, documents related to his distinguished professor nomination, and correspondence.
 
Jelavich, Barbara, 1923-1995
Both graduates of the University of California, Berkeley, Barbara and Charles Jelavich were hired at Indiana University in 1962 as specialists in Eastern European History by then Chair of the History Department Robert Byrnes. The majority of the collection reflects the work of Barbara while a small portion of the work of Charles is included with publications.
 

26. J. Gus Liebenow Collection, 1882-2011 18 cubic feet (18 records cartons)

J. Gus Liebenow was a professor emeritus of political science at Indiana University. Starting his tenure in 1958, Liebenow also served as the dean for Research and Advanced Studies as well as vice president and dean of Academic Affairs. In 1961, he also found the University's African Studies Program. This collections consists of lecture notes, personal files, department records, Liebenow's writings, and materials from numerous organizations he was affiliated with.
 
Online
Caldwell, Lynton K. (Lynton Keith), 1913-2006
Lynton K. Caldwell was an assistant professor of government at Indiana University South Bend from 1939-1944 and returned to Indiana University Bloomington in 1965, where he taught political science as well as public and environmental affairs until his retirement in 1984 as the Arthur F. Bentley Professor Emeritus of Political Science and Professor Emeritus of Public and Environmental Affairs. Caldwell was a recognized authority on environmental policy. His papers include a large amount of published works, but also contain correspondence and material related to conferences and professional organizations.
 
Online
Spulber, Nicolas
Nicolas Spulber was a Distinguished Professor of Economics at Indiana University. Born in Romania in 1915, he immigrated to the United States in 1948 and began teaching at IU in 1954. His research interests focused primarily on the Soviet and post-Soviet economy and the functions of states in economic frameworks including centrally planned, developing, and market economies. Spulber continued researching and writing until his death in 2004. The collection consists of his research materials, reports, conference presentations, correspondence, and manuscripts and reviews of his published works.
 
The Hill, A. mss., ca. 1886-2004, consist of correspondence, journal fragments, legal and financial documents, clippings, photos, and account books of Lady Anne Hill (1911–2006), author, public figure, and wife of prominent bookseller G. Heywood Hill.
 

31. Solley mss., 1888-2006 35 Boxes

Solley, Thomas T.
The Solley mss., 1888-2006, consists of the automobile and coachbuilder catalogs, photographs, and related automobile literature of architect Thomas T. Solley, 1924–2006.
 
Ostrom, Elinor
The Ostrom, Elinor mss., ca. 1889-2012, consist of the research, papers, correspondence, publications, manuscripts, proposals, photographs, audio tapes, and realia of Vincent and Elinor Ostrom, their colleagues and families, and the Vincent and Elinor Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis.
 
Eastman, Eliena Krylenko, 1895-1956
The Eastman mss. IV, 1890-2009, consist of the photographs, correspondence, personal papers, writings, and artwork of Max Eastman, 1883-1969; Yvette Szekely Eastman, 1912-2014; and Eliena Krylenko Eastman, 1895-1956.
 
Indiana University. Trustees
The Indiana University Board of Trustees serve as the governing board of the University. Created in 1820, its powers include the capacity to possess all the real and personal property of the university, to allocate the income of the university, and to create or approve all rules necessary to carry these powers into effect. This collection contains agendas, correspondence and reports which support the discussion generated at the official Trustee meetings.
 

35. George List papers, 1894-2008, bulk 1958-1990 16 cubic feet (18 boxes)

Online
List, George, 1911-2008
Collection consists of the papers of George List (1911-2008), Professor of Folklore, Director of the Inter-American Program in Ethnomusicology (1966-1976), and Director of the Archives of Traditional Music (1954-1976) at Indiana University. His primary research interests included folk music, the traditional music of the Hopi tribes of Northern Arizona, and the music of indigenous tribes in the Caribbean regions of Colombia and the Andes and Amazon regions of Ecuador. This collection includes personal and professional correspondence, publications, research, subject files, audiovisual content, and many of his musical compositions.
 

36. Warren d'Azevedo Collection, 1895-2001 35 cubic feet; (35 records cartons, 3 being oversized, 1 being restricted materials)

D'Azevedo, Warren L.
Warren d'Azevedo is a retired ethnographer, renowned for his work in anthropology and African studies. D'Azevedo began his research in the 1950s, focusing primarily on African cultures, including the Gola ethnic group of Liberia and the Native American Washoe culture of the Great Basin. This collection consists of d'Azevedo's writings, photographs, memorabilia, and U.S. and Liberian government documents and teaching materials.
 
Indiana University. University Graduate School. Graduate Council
In 1894, Indiana University instituted a standing Committee on Advanced Degrees charged with directing the growing number of students undertaking graduate studies. Formal organization of the Graduate School was authorized by the faculty in 1904, with the continued governance of the Committee until the office of the dean within the IU Graduate School was created in 1908. At that time, the committee emerged as the Administrative Committee and in 1909 became the Graduate Council. As the school's faculty took over the duties of the council in the 1930s, the council was deemed unnecessary and disbanded. However, in the 1950s the Graduate School underwent a reorganization and the Graduate Council was reestablished. The council is still active, meeting monthly during the academic year. Collection consists of memos, proposals, reports, and minutes of the Indiana University Graduate Council.
 

40. Czech mss., 1900-2010 1 bound

Nezval, Vitězslav, 1900-1958
The Czech mss., ca. 1900-2010, consists of individual items by Czech writers, artists, etc., written in the Czech language and acquired from a variety of sources.
 
Madison, James H.
James Madison is the Thomas and Kathryn Miller Professor Emeritus of History at Indiana University. He graduated from Indiana University and has spent nearly his entire career teaching at IU. The collection largely consists of materials relating to his written works and extensive service activities both at IU and within the state. Of particular interest are the notes and drafts for his books Eli Lilly: A Life, 1885-1977 (1989), Indiana Through Tradition and Change (1982), and The Indiana Way: A State History (1986). The collection also contains correspondence, class syllabi, various committee materials, and materials related to his activities within the History Department.
 
Local Council of Women (Bloomington, Ind.)
The Local Council of Women mss., 1902-2010, consists of the papers, financial records, and publications by and about the Local Council of Women service organization in Bloomington, Indiana, as well as of the Bloomington Hospital.
 

46. Frank K. Edmondson papers, 1904-2003 95 cubic feet (95 boxes)

Edmondson, Frank K. (Frank Kelly), 1912-2008
Consists of the personal papers of Edmondson and includes correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, research files, publications, records related to the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), teaching files, and departmental files.
 

47. Indiana University Department of Astronomy records, 1904-2018, bulk 1940-1988 2.8 Cubic Feet (1 rc, 2 dc, 1 legal dc, slide storage)

Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Astronomy
This collection largely reflects the results of research conducted by the Indiana University Department of Astronomy at the Goethe Link Observatory and the Daniel Kirkwood Observatory. The collection discusses equipment and instruments relevant to their work, topics related to the observatories, papers related to the Conference on Red Giant Stars/Cool Star Conference, publications, record books containing collected data, and files about select faculty.
 
Townsend, E. Reginald,
E. Reginald Townsend (1917-1980) is best known as the man who built Liberia's Information Service. He served as Press Secretary and Chief of the Bureau (now the Department of Information, Culture and Tourism) to William V.S. Tubman, President of Liberia from 1944 to 1971, and as Minister of State for Presidential Affairs to William R. Tolbert, President of Liberia from 1971 to 1980. Townsend's wife, Evelyn Diggs Townsend (1932-2004), was involved in and led several church and women's organizations. After a coup brought down the Tolbert government and resulted in her husband's execution in 1980, she worked to attain peace in Liberia. The materials in this collection include papers from the years of Reginald Townsend's service during the Tubman and Tolbert presidencies and those from Evelyn Townsend's work in many service organizations, as well as personal correspondence and memorabilia from the Townsend family
 

53. George C. Hale papers, 1907-2011 0.2 cubic feet (1 box)

Hale, George C., 1891-1948
Dr. George C. Hale, 1891-1948, was an Indiana native and chemist for the Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, New Jersey. His research concentrated on ordnance both for military and commercial applications. The collection consists of biographical materials, correspondence, and photographs relating to Dr. Hale's education, career, and accomplishments.
 

54. Frank Anton Hoffmann papers, 1911-2004, bulk 1955-1976 3 Cubic Feet (2 rc, 1 small legal dc, 1 letter dc, 1 small letter dc, 1 custom box for photo album )

Hoffmann, Frank Anton, 1926-
Dr. Frank Anton Hoffmann was a PhD student in Folklore at Indiana University Bloomington from 1958 to 1968. He became a professor of English and Folklore at the State University of New York at Buffalo. This collection features Hoffmann's personal papers including correspondence, collected folklore society publications, and a photo album from the 1958 Folklore Institute.
 
Online
Indiana University, Bloomington. School of Journalism
The School of Journalism had its beginnings at Indiana University when the first journalism course was offered in 1891. A Department of Journalism was established in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1911, and in 1974 the department became the School of Journalism. The School of Journalism has had many well-known and successful graduates, including the famous World War II journalist Ernie Pyle. This collection consists of records of the Department/School of Journalism collected and compiled by Marjorie Blewett, an administrative assistant in Journalism from 1965-1980 and placement director from 1980-1990. The records within the collection consist largely of the correspondence and other administrative files generated by the directors or deans of the Department/School of Journalism. The majority of the records were generated by or sent to John Stempel and Richard Gray during the years 1938-1984, but Marjorie Blewett also contributes some her own personal records.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
This collection consists of maps, audio recordings, news reports, advertisements, committee notes, photographs, and story transcripts for the campus ghost walks organized by the Indiana University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology. The ghost walks are annual tours that feature ghost legends tied to well-known places on campus and the Bloomington, Indiana, area.
 

58. Union Board records, 1912-2021, bulk 1922-2010 38.4 cubic feet (39 boxes)

Online
Indiana Memorial Union. Union Board
The Union Board serves as the governing body for the Indiana Memorial Union, which organizes various events and activities for students on the Indiana University Bloomington campus. Established in 1909, the Union Board has since developed into the largest student programming body at Indiana University. The Collection consists of minutes of Union Board meetings and a variety of administrative documents and materials related to past programs, activities, and events.
 

59. Indiana University Women's Club records, 1913-2004, bulk 1940-1975 8 cubic feet(Approximately) (8 boxes)

University Women's Club (Indiana University, Bloomington)
The University Women's Club was established at Indiana University on April 24, 1913, under the name of the Faculty Women's Club. The goal of the club was to hold social gatherings for members. In 1959 the group changed its name to the University Women's Club to avoid further confusion with the Women's Faculty Club. The collection consists of meeting minutes and reports, subject files and scrapbooks.
 
Bowie, Theodore Robert
Theodore Bowie was a prominent faculty member at Indiana University, whose contributions to the field of the history of Asian Art made him a pivotal figure in the development of both the University's Art History Program and the University's Art Museum. This collection contains materials from both Bowie's professional and personal career. Professional documents from his time spent as professor and curator include lecture notes, travel itineraries, copies of scholarly publications, departmental memos and correspondence, loan agreements for exhibitions, and exhibition catalogues. A large number of exhibition materials pertain to "The Arts of Thailand", a traveling exhibition organized by Bowie that showcased previously unrecognized Thai art in the West. Accompanying these professional documents are Bowie's personal correspondence, drafts of his memoir, and a large number of photos and exhibition scrapbooks.
 

62. Henry H. H. Remak papers, 1914-2010, bulk 1965-1998 72 cubic feet(Approximately) (73 boxes)

Remak, Henry H. H. (Henry Heymann Herman), 1916-
Henry H. H. Remak was hired at Indiana University-Bloomington as a full-time professor for the Department of German in 1948. He also taught for the Department of Comparative Literature, West European Studies and the Honors Division. Additionally, Remak chaired the Department of German in 1962, the Department of Comparative Literature intermittently between 1954 and 1963, as well as West European Studies from 1966-1969. He was also Vice Chancellor and Dean of the Faculties from 1969-1974 and Director of the Institute for Advanced Study from 1988-1994 and 1997-1998. This collection consists of papers related to Remak's teaching, administrative positions, university and disciplinary service, and academic scholarship.
 

63. George T. Engelman Jr. papers, 1915-2008, bulk 1941-1968 0.4 cubic feet (1 box; 1 oversize folder)

Engelman, George T., Jr., 1919-2008
George T. Engelman Jr. was a graduate from Indiana University, attending IU from 1937-1941. He worked and raised his family for a few years in Bloomington while studying for his master's degree in education in the 40s and 50s and working for RCA. He was also a WWII veteran. This collection contains his army records from 1942-1968, biographical documents from 1915-2008, correspondence, family home videos, teaching documents, and materials from his time serving in WWII such as ration stamps and Pearl Harbor Officers' Club cards.
 

64. John Gay Collection, 1916-2002 12 cubic feet (12 records cartons)

Gay, John
John Gay is a former professor and current scholar of Liberian and African studies. He began his career as a missionary for the Episcopal Church, teaching at Cuttington College in Liberia. John also had a number of fellowships that allowed him to develop his research and publish several works covering the civil war conflicts, culture, and social issues in Liberia. Though retired, John continues to have an active role in Liberian studies and currently serves on the Advisory Committee of the International Institute for Justice and Development. This collection contains his research, student publications, and other scholarly works.
 
Online
Ringer, William Raimond, 1898-1973
William R. Ringer graduated from Indiana University in 1920. After earning his JD at the University of Michigan, he went on to have a successful legal career. This small collection consists primarily of diaries and journals maintained while Ringer was an Indiana University student.
 
Diamant, Alfred, 1917-2012
The Diamant, Alfred mss., 1917-2012, consists of the personal correspondence, emails, school records, military papers, birth and marriage certificates, and family trees of Alfred Diamant. It also includes various drafts and pre-publication copies of his and his wife's co-authored memoir Worlds Apart, Worlds United: A European-American Story.
 

69. The Gerald Currens Collection, 1918-2002 4 cubic feet; (4 records cartons)

Currens, Gerald Elwin, 1928-
Gerald Currens' experience with Liberia began in 1951 as a Lutheran missionary. In 1968 he began his graduate studies in anthropology at the University of Oregon, which had a strong program focused on Liberia. In December 1971, Currens began his abroad research in Liberia for his PhD dissertation study on upland rice cultivation and other features of subsistence based economies in rural Liberia. His main area of study was Lawalazu which is a Loma speaking town several miles from Voinjama, the capital for Lofa County. The collection consists of his field notes, data, questionnaires, personal research documents, personal and nonpersonal published and unpublished papers, copies of "The Loma Weekly," and a great variety of small educational readers produced by the Loma Literacy Center.
 

70. Bai T. Moore Papers, 1919-2004 23 cubic feet; (22 records cartons; 1 oversized materials box.)

Bai T. Moore was a renowned poet and author whose work was greatly influenced by his experiences growing up in Liberia. In addition to Moore's career as a writer, he served as a government official for several years, first as Chief of the Liberian Bureau of Agriculture, and later, as Deputy Minister of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism. This collection consists of government papers, ethnographic materials, published works, manuscripts, and drafts of his writings.
 

72. Marvin Carmack papers, 1920-2007, bulk 1936-1978 18.4 cubic feet (19 boxes)

Online
Carmack, Marvin, 1913-2010
Marvin Carmack was a professor of chemistry at Indiana University who specialized in organic chemistry and the study of lithospermum ruderale, among other research interests. The collection consists of Carmack's personal and professional correspondence, extensive research notes from his two university appointments and numerous private laboratory work, teaching materials from a variety of classes he taught as well as research notes from some of his students.
 
Online
Board of Aeons (Indiana University)
The Board of Aeons was established on March 29, 1921 to function as a link between the student body and the administration. It is composed of 8 to 12 students of at least junior standing and meets regularly but informally once or twice a week with the President, Vice-President, Chancellor or other administrative officials. The Board of Aeons records include minutes, agendas, reports, correspondence, and officers' notebooks.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Chemistry
Chemistry has a long history at Indiana University, first being added to the curriculum in 1829 by then-IU President Andrew Wylie. The majority of this collection is comprised of faculty publications, mostly dating from the 1950s to the late 1970s. It also contains a small number of departmental publications, such as the Association of Indiana University Chemists newsletters, and administrative files related to laboratory safety, chemistry departments at regional campuses, and other departmental affairs.
 

78. H. K. Banda Archive, 1924-2005, bulk 1950-1997 4500 items(Approximately) (25 boxes)

Online
Brody, Donald A.
This collection consists of the papers of Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda, former Life President of Malawi, and those of his official biographer, Dr. Donald Brody, dating mostly from the 1950s to the 1990s. Additional materials collected by Paula Brody were later added to the collection.
 
Halleck, Charles A. (Charles Abraham), 1900-1986
The Halleck mss. II, 1924-2010, consist of documents, photographs, and materials by and about congressman Charles A. Halleck acquired individually from various sources.
 

81. Indiana University Libraries' publications, 1924-2012, bulk 1960-2004 10.3 cubic feet (11 boxes; 10 rc, 1 sm legal dc)

Indiana University. Libraries
The Indiana University Libraries have existed for the length and tenure of the University itself. As the University has grown, so have the libraries, its holdings, and its staff, and this growth has resulted in the 8 campus and more than 10 million volume system that exists today. The Indiana University Libraries' publications consists of publications the Department has published during the period from 1924-2012 including Lilly Library publications.
 
Lugar, Richard
The collection contains items generated and received by the office of Senator Richard G. Lugar during his six terms as a United States Senator from Indiana (1977-2012). In particular, extensive documentation relates to his service as member and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry and as member and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. Also represented is his other legislative and committee work and his correspondence with constituents. In addition to the records generated during his tenure in the Senate, some materials were produced during his pre-Senate career and early life. One box of materials reflecting his post-Senate career with the Lugar Center was received in July 2021.
 
Online
Indiana University, Bloomington. Collins Living-Learning Center
Indiana University's Collins Living-Learning Center (LLC) was established in 1972 - one of the first in the country - in the Men's Residence Center (MRC). Eventually the LLC took over the entire MRC and was renamed after IU professor and administrator Ralph L. Collins. It has since expanded to include "The Hill," Brown and Greene, and Hillcrest (apartments for juniors and seniors). The Collins community is intentionally academically diverse, and students pursue majors across the university. Collins is host to a wide variety of programs and events planned through one of many student groups such as the Board of Education Programming (BOEP), Arts Council, Community Council, and the Board of Programmers (BOP), or as student Q projects through CLLC-Q 199: Residential Learning Workshop. The materials in the Collection represent both the administrative and student aspects of the Collins Living-Learning Center.
 
Online
Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance
The Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance originated in the Department of Speech beginning in 1945. The Department offers courses and degrees in theatre, drama, and contemporary dance. This collection contains administrative records from before and after the Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance had split from the Department of Speech. It also contains records and production materials from the University Theatre, Brown County Playhouse, Indiana Theatre Company, and IU Theatre Circle.
 
Collins, John W., 1912-2001
The Collins mss., ca. 1926-2001, consists of the correspondence, writings, photographs, albums and chess club records of influential American chess teacher John William (Jack) Collins, 1912-2001.
 
Dranes, Arizona
The collection consists primarily of contracts and correspondence between Arizona Dranes and the Consolidated Music Publishing House (owner of the Chicago OKeh Records franchise) from 1926-1929. Contracts for Nov. 15, 1926, include one song not commercially released (and possibly not recorded), "He's Got Better Things for You." Also included are articles about Dranes and this collection by the donor, Malcolm Shaw, and gospel historian Dr. Daniel E. Walker.
 
Online
Alpha Phi Omega. Mu Chapter (Indiana University)
Alpha Phi Omega is a national service fraternity founded on leadership, friendship, and service. The Mu Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega was established at Indiana University on December 15, 1929. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, pledge records, newsletters, awards, videotapes, photographs, and scrapbooks.
 

89. Meier mss., 1927-2010 32 Boxes

Online
Meier, Deborah
The Meier mss., 1927-2010, consists of the correspondence and papers of education reformer Deborah W. Meier (1931-), who is frequently credited with founding the modern small schools movement in the United States.
 
United World Federalists
The United World Federalists mss. IV, 1927-2011, consists of books, pamphlets, and research related to the United Nations, the environment, and generalized politics, as well as copies of World Federalist Association annual reports, the World Federalist News magazine, and miscellaneous related awards and conferences materials.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Dance program
Jane Fox, a dancer and faculty member of Indiana University, introduced the art of contemporary dance to the Bloomington campus in 1927 with the inception of the Contemporary Dance Program under the auspices of the Physical Education program (renamed Kinesiology in 1989). While it was first considered a women's extracurricular physical fitness program, it quickly evolved into a respected major and minor field. The program's objective was to teach students to use modern dance to convey ideas and feelings through natural movements. This collection includes scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, program booklets, photographs, film, sheet music, and miscellaneous records pertaining to the Program.
 

92. Eichler mss., 1928-2002 1 Box (1 standard)

Eichler, David Kemble, 1913-2003
​The Eichler mss., 1928-2002, consists primarily of letters between educator, journalist, and businessman David Kemble Eichler, 1913-2003, and actress Katharine Hepburn, 1907-2003.
 

94. Robert F. Borkenstein papers, 1928-2002, bulk 1940-2002 28 cubic feet(Approximately) (31 boxes)

Online
Borkenstein, Robert F. (Robert Frank), 1912-2002
Robert F. Borkenstein worked in various capacities with the Indiana State Police in collaboration with Indiana University before retiring in 1958 and coming to IU full time, serving as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Police Administration until his retirement in 1987. He played a major role in developing the department, which was renamed the Department of Forensic Studies in 1970 and again renamed the Department of Criminal Justice in 1985. Borkenstein was a prolific figure in the fields of forensic science and traffic safety; he is well known for inventing the Breathalyzer in 1954 and for research efforts into blood alcohol concentration through the Grand Rapids Study in the 1960s. This collection consists of biographical documents, research and professional materials, instruments, and subject files. Included are files and instruments related to Borkenstein's research and development of several of his breath test inventions, including the Breathalyzer.
 
Indiana University. Audio-Visual Center
The Indiana University Audio-Visual Center (IU-AVC) was a service of the Indiana University Extension Division that produced, collected and distributed educational films and videos to institutions and organizations throughout the United States. The films, videos and all paper documentation that made up this century old film distribution unit of Indiana University was transferred to the IU Libraries in the early 2000's. As part of what is now the core holdings of the IU Libraries Moving Image Archive, in addition to the films and videos that made up the early years of the Archive, the paper teacher's guides that correspond to instructional films and videos spanning the late 1920's into the early 2000's are an important historical record of this history.
 

98. The Fr. Christopher K. Kandakai Collection, 1928-2011 10 cubic feet; (10 records cartons)

Kandakai, Christopher K.
A student of Cuttington College, Fr. Christopher K. Kandakai became an ordained Epsicopal priest in 1951. He was Liberia's longest serving Episocpal priest and served as rector and priest-in-charge of many Episcopal churches in Liberia and trained many Episcopal theologians. Additionally, Kandakai was an avid linguist who translated the New Testament into both Gola and Vai languages. This collections contains materials pertaining to the Episcopal Church as well as to adult education and linguistics. A large selection of his materials are written in Vai, only one of two African languages with an original script, unrelated to Latin or Arabic.
 

99. Jeanette Carter Papers, 1928-2013 23 cubic feet; (23 records cartons)

The Jeanette Carter Papers spans the dates 1928-2014. Renowned anthropologist on West Africa and women, this collections includes her research on women in Liberia and the Gambia, personal accounts of the Liberian Civil War, her field notes, research on ethnic groups, and extensive reports, publications and news articles on Liberia.