Collections

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level Collection Remove constraint Level: Collection Year 2002 Remove constraint Year: <span class="single" data-blrl-single="2002">2002</span>

Search Results

100th Infantry Battalion (Separate) collection, 1947-2022

36 Items Collection ID: KIBS
The 100th Infantry Battalion (Separate) was a racially segregated U.S. Army unit comprised of Americans of Japanese ancestry (AJA) from Hawaii, except for Caucasian officers. The unit's outstanding training records and demonstrated loyalty lifted the "4-C Unsuitable for Service" classification for other AJA and led to the formation of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, who later joined the 100th overseas. These American soldiers, simultaneously fighting the Axis Powers overseas and racism at home, are survived by their descendants, The Sons & Daughters, who work to share their parents' stories. This collection is made possible by 100th Infantry Battalion Veterans, formerly known as Club 100, and consists of donations made by veterans' Bernard Akamine and Ray Nosaka's children, Drusilla Tanaka and Ann Kabasawa, respectively, as well as by IU Kokomo faculty and students who visited Club 100 on class trips in 2006, 2008, and 2014.

26th Amendment Collection, 1946-2021

2.5 linear feet (8 document cartons, 1 small document carton, and 423 GB of digital files.) Collection ID: MPP26 (VAE3704)
Consists of documentation of the movement to lower the voting age to 18 culminating in ratification of the 26th Amendment to the Constitution in 1971 and of retrospective interviews and discussions of the movement by those who participated in it.

Adelaide Hall Collection, 1928-2003

1 document case (0.21 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 134
The collection contains photographic materials, articles, programs and ephemera related to Hall's performance career.

African American Contributions to Film Collection, 1934-2003

11 Boxes Collection ID: COL 24
The African American Contribution to Film Collection contains advertising materials, photographs, pressbooks, press kits, and Japanese programs for films and several television series dating from 1934 to 2003 featuring African Americans.

African American Film Script Collection, 1929-2002

814 Volumes Collection ID: LMC 33000
The collection consists of typescripts of films written by, directed by, or starring African Americans. The typescripts are in various states of revision and various formats.

Agee mss., 1957-2019

6 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2922
The Agee mss., 2002-2014, consist of the manuscripts, books, and correspondence of translator Joel Agee.

Agency for Instructional Technology papers, 1966-2012

131 Boxes Collection ID: VAE1281
The Agency for Instructional Technology (formally 1973-2015) was a non-profit organization based in Bloomington, Indiana that produced and distributed educational television and multimedia programs to schools in the United States and Canada. This collection contains the organization's administrative records, publications, and production files.

Alan Rabinowitz Bibliography and Philanthropy Publications, 1961-2008

.8 cubic feet (2 letter-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS141

Alfred Diamant papers, 1950-2010, bulk 1960-1996

6.4 cubic feet (7 boxes) Collection ID: C565
Alfred Diamant was a professor of Political Science at Indiana University from 1967 to 1988 and served as the Chair of Political Science and West European Studies. He taught all levels of political science from introductory to doctoral courses with a special interest in comparative government. This collection consists of Diamant's academic papers including class material, student correspondence, and personal publications.

Allen D. Grimshaw papers, 1917-2008, bulk 1960-1995

50.2 cubic feet (51 boxes) Collection ID: C480
Allen Day Grimshaw was a Professor of Sociology at IU from 1959-1994. The collection consists primarily of his research, published works, and teaching files as they relate to IU.

Allen, Woody mss., 1980-2004

2 Folders Collection ID: LMC 2898
The Allen, Woody mss., 1980-2004, consist of the correspondence and ephemera of director Woody Allen.

Alpha Lambda Delta, Indiana University Chapter records, 1924-2009, bulk 1931-1959

0.6 Cubic feet (2 boxes) Collection ID: C639
The Alpha Lambda Delta fraternity was founded in 1924 at the University of Illinois as an honor society for freshmen women. The chapter at Indiana University was established in 1931. This collection consists of membership information, rules, awards, and the history of the organization.

Alpha Phi Omega Mu Chapter records, 1927-2008, bulk 1988-2000

12.8 cubic feet (14 boxes) Collection ID: C355
Alpha Phi Omega is a national service fraternity founded on leadership, friendship, and service. The Mu Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega was established at Indiana University on December 15, 1929. The collection consists of correspondence, minutes, pledge records, newsletters, awards, videotapes, photographs, and scrapbooks.

American Association of University Professors, Indiana University chapter records, 1929-2010, bulk 1983-2003

1 cubic feet (1 rc) Collection ID: C394
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is a nationwide organization established in 1915, and is open to membership by faculty, librarians, and academic professionals at accredited public and private colleges and universities. Its mission is to advance academic freedom and shared governance, to define professional values and standards within higher education, and to ensure higher education's contribution to the common good. There is evidence that the Indiana University Bloomington Chapter of the American Association of University Professors was active on campus as early as 1916 and remains active to the present. The collection consists of group publications, minutes, notes, correspondence, and other related materials.

American Forum for Global Education records, 1963-2005, bulk 1975-1982

7 cubic feet (7 boxes) Collection ID: C350
The American Forum for Global Education (1986-2008) was a nonprofit organization created through the merger of Global Perspectives in Education, Inc. (1976-1986), which was a former branch of the Center for War/Peace Studies of the New York Friends Group, and the National Council on Foreign Language and International Studies. The American Forum for Global Education provided professional development, curriculum materials, lesson plans, and resources to educators for teaching students about global/international history, culture and sociopolitical issues. This collection is predominantly comprised of publications of the American Forum for Global Education and its predecessor organizations.

American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016

10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS038
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

American Turners Records, 1853-2017

33.1 cubic feet (29 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS030
Immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century founded organizations that served as social centers, maintained cultural identity, and promoted the ideals and the interests of the immigrants and their American-born descendants. The American Turners is an example of such an organization. Established by German immigrants in 1850, the American Turners advocated a liberal political philosophy and fought to protect both the political rights and the German heritage of the immigrants. The Turners encouraged the practice of exercise and physical fitness, and they convinced school boards in many cities to make physical education a part of the educational curriculum. The American Turner records include annual reports, minutes and correspondence relating to the national officers, correspondence with local societies, national convention minutes and materials, financial and membership records, national committee records, records and materials from national sporting events sponsored by the American Turners, records of the Turner Pioneers and the Women's Auxiliary, Turner publications, and materials from the German Turner movement and other organizations related to the American Turners.

America's Promise Alliance Records, 1992-2019

40 cubic feet (37 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes) Collection ID: MSS164
America's Promise - The Alliance for Youth was founded at the Presidents' Summit for America's Future in 1997. The Five Promises to children are at the core of America's Promise and are as follows: Caring Adults; Safe Places; a Healthy Start; Marketable Skills; and Opportunities to Serve.

Anderson mss., 1967-2004

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2499
The Anderson mss., 1967-2004, consist of the correspondence, catalogs, and ephemera of Frank John Anderson related to private press publishing, miniature books, and book collecting.

Antioch Review mss., 1940-2007

38 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2665
The Antioch Review mss., 1940-2007, consists of the records of the literary publication Antioch Review of Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio.

A. Peter Brown papers, 1944-2003, bulk 1973-2000

43 cubic feet (43 boxes) Collection ID: C336
A. Peter Brown served as a member of the musicology faculty at the Indiana University School of Music from 1974 until his death in 2003. Brown's name is most closely associated with that of the composer Josef Haydn, on whom Brown wrote and co-authored no less than four books, as well as the critical score for Haydn's Die Schöpfung. Representing the whole of his scholarly career, this collection includes materials from Brown's time as a doctoral student, and as a scholar and teacher, comprised of correspondence, teaching files, grants materials, and research and writing files. Brown's research files make up the bulk of the collection.

Archipelago Books mss., 1981-2016

1 folio (oversize) Collection ID: LMC 2542
The Archipelago Books mss., 1981-2016, consists of the records of Archipelago Books, founded by Jill Schoolman in 2003.

Ardizzone, Anthony V. mss., 1969-2012

13 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2818
The Ardizzone, Anthony V. mss. consists of the papers of author and English professor Tony Ardizzone, 1949-.

Arikha, Avigdor mss., 1933-2011

2 Boxes (2 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2764
The Arikha mss., 1933-2011, consists of correspondence from writer Samuel Beckett, 1906-1989, to Avigdor Arikha, 1929-2010, and Arikha's wife, poet Anne Atik, 1932-. Arikha's various collected periodicals, catalogues, theatre ephemera, criticisms of Beckett, and other related items.

Arizona Dranes Okeh Records Correspondence, 1926-2004, bulk 1926-1929

1 document case (0.21 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 135
The collection consists primarily of contracts and correspondence between Arizona Dranes and the Consolidated Music Publishing House (owner of the Chicago OKeh Records franchise) from 1926-1929. Contracts for Nov. 15, 1926, include one song not commercially released (and possibly not recorded), "He's Got Better Things for You." Also included are articles about Dranes and this collection by the donor, Malcolm Shaw, and gospel historian Dr. Daniel E. Walker.

Arthur R. Metz papers, 1853-2018

6.6 cubic feet (10 boxes) Collection ID: C718
Arthur R. Metz was a student at Indiana University from 1904-1909 and one of the first recipients of the IU Distinguished Alumni Service Award. He was a doctor who served in multiple capacities including for hospitals, railroads, the military, corporations, and universities and also was a member of many medical organizations. The collection consists of Metz's family records, school materials, personal and professional correspondence, personal photographs, military and travel materials and photographs, magazine and newspaper clippings, medical and organizational publications, and professional certificates. There are also papers and photographs documenting the Metz Foundation and Metz Suite.

Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) Records, 1970-2010

51.4 cubic feet (49 record cartons, 1 document box, 5 pamphlet boxes, 3 flat boxes, and 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS003
The Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) was founded in 1971 by David Horton Smith and Bill Ready as the Association for Voluntary Action Scholars (AVAS). Their vision was to create an independent and impartial forum for researchers in the fledgling field of voluntary action and citizen participation. Major activities have included an annual conference and the publication of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (NVSQ), formerly the Journal of Voluntary Action Research (JVAR); Citizen Participation and Voluntary Action Abstracts (CPVAA); and a newsletter. The organization's name change in 1991 signified diversification of the original mission, which now includes expanded outreach to researchers on nonprofit organizations and from previously neglected academic disciplines. The records consist of board and committee materials, correspondence, financial and administrative records, journals and newsletters, journal manuscript submissions, conference programs and proceedings, and grant proposals.

Athenaeum Damenverein and Women's Auxiliary Records, 1876-2007

4.4 cubic feet (3 cartons, 1 document box, 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS039
This women's organization was founded by the Socialer Turnverein (Social Athletic Club) in 1876 as the Indianapolis Turn-Schwestern Verein. It was initially intended to support the activities of the Turnverein, and especially to promote and oversee the girls' athletic classes, and to help enlarge and preserve the Turner library. Within a few years the Turn Sisters became known as the Damenverein (Women's Club) des Socialer Turnverein and began to undertake broader responsibilities in the community. As with most German societies, membership declined during World War I and use of the German language was dropped. The organization revived with the merging of several societies during the 1930s and becomes known as the Women's Auxiliary. Membership increased again after World War II as their focus drifted away from a wartime role as a service organization and more towards social activities. The gradual decline of the Athenaeum Turners through the 1970s and 1980s also affected the Women's Auxiliary. In the 1990s the Damenverein name was restored to recognize the earlier German connections, and in recent years the very limited activities of the group have become more closely linked with their German-American cultural identity. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, minutes, correspondence, financial records, committee reports, membership lists and directories, event advertisements and photographs.

Athenaeum Foundation Records, 1894-2011

8.6 cubic feet (8 cartons, 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS076
The Athenaeum Foundation was organized in 1991 and incorporated as a not-for-profit foundation operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The foundation's purposes was to acquire title to the Athenaeum, located at 401 East Michigan Street in Indianapolis; to raise funds for and supervise and direct the rehabilitation of building to maintain its architectural and aesthetic integrity as a historic structure; to educate the public about the history and significance of the Athenaeum; to foster the use of the building by the foundation itself, the building's tenants, and other organizations; and to oversee the management of the building.

Athenaeum Turners Records, 1876-2005

14.7 cubic feet (10 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS032
The Athenaeum Turner organization was founded in 1851 as the Indianapolis Turngemeinde. This athletic and social organization was patterned on German clubs that had supported the 1848 revolutions that attempted to form Liberal republics in several European kingdoms. The men who established the Indianapolis Turngemeinde and the competing Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnverein (merged in 1852 to form the Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnegemiende) tried to create a community focus for the rapidly expanding immigrant population. The activist political backgrounds of many German immigrants led to a strong emphasis on the Turner idea of developing both a strong mind and strong body in order to better serve society. After the American Civil War, for which many Turners volunteered due to anti-slavery beliefs and a desire to demonstrate loyalty to their adopted nation, the reorganized and renamed Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein became the primary focus for German business and culture in the city. Certainly the German House (das Deutsches Haus), built between 1894 and 1898, was designed to serve as more than just a center for physical training since it contained a restaurant, theaters, and a number of meeting rooms. From the 1890s, the leaders of the Turner organization were also directors or important officers in dozens of prominent businesses and cultural organizations. This led to some overlap in the interaction between public, private, and political affairs in the German community of Indianapolis - and this is reflected in the collection. The outbreak of World War I and the anti-German sentiment which followed led to a renaming of the building (as the Athenaeum) and contributed to a decline in the importance of the Turnverein. The organization, now known as the Athenaeum Turners, experienced a revival during the 1950s and remained active into the 1960s, though its activities gradually became more social and less athletic. By the 1970s American acculturation and suburbanization resulted in a rapid decline in membership and financial stability and the near collapse of the Turner society. It currently exists solely as a German cultural organization. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, board and committee minutes, correspondence, officer and committee reports, financial records, membership lists, event advertisements, brochures, newsletters and photographs.

Baatz mss., 1940-2010

2 Boxes (1 standard, 1 custom) Collection ID: LMC 1043
The Baatz mss., 1940-2010, consists of correspondence from prominent literary and political figures to librarian Wilmer Henry Baatz, 1915-1991.

Bai T. Moore Papers, 1919-2004

23 cubic feet; (22 records cartons; 1 oversized materials box.) Collection ID: LCP2005/008
Bai T. Moore was a renowned poet and author whose work was greatly influenced by his experiences growing up in Liberia. In addition to Moore's career as a writer, he served as a government official for several years, first as Chief of the Liberian Bureau of Agriculture, and later, as Deputy Minister of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism. This collection consists of government papers, ethnographic materials, published works, manuscripts, and drafts of his writings.

Baker, E. mss., 1958-2003

5 Boxes (5 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2386
The Baker, E. mss., 1958-2003, consists primarily of the correspondence and writings of screenwriter and novelist Elliott Baker, 1922-2007.

Baker Street Irregulars mss., 1923-2021

72 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2936
The Baker Street Irregulars mss., 1923-2007, consists of correspondence, business files, and publications of the Baker Street Irregulars, a Sherlock Holmes literary society founded in 1934.

Bala Baptiste Collection, 1946-2013

1 document case (0.42 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 138
The collection consists primarily of interviews and articles regarding radio stations and music in New Orleans, including information about the first African American deejays in New Orleans and the Poppa Stoppa radio program.

Baraka mss., 1981-2003

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2516
The Baraka mss., 1981-2003, consists of the notebooks and unpublished works of poet Amiri Baraka, 1934-2014, previously known as LeRoi Jones.

Barbara and Charles Jelavich papers, 1870-2006, bulk 1962-1991

10.4 cubic feet (11 boxes) Collection ID: C584
Both graduates of the University of California, Berkeley, Barbara and Charles Jelavich were hired at Indiana University in 1962 as specialists in Eastern European History by then Chair of the History Department Robert Byrnes. The majority of the collection reflects the work of Barbara while a small portion of the work of Charles is included with publications.

Barbara Gomez's Learn and Serve America Collection, 1991-2002

1 Cubic Feet (1 record carton) Collection ID: MSS161
Barbara Gomez's Learn and Serve America Collection contains publications about the Learn and Serve America and service learning from various institutions.

Barnhart Dictionary mss., 1929-2005

450 Cubic Feet Collection ID: LMC 2876
The Barnhart Dictionary mss., 1929-2005, consists of the correspondence, business records, project files, reference books, notes, and proofs of lexicographer Clarence L. Barnhart, 1900-1993, and the dictionaries he edited.

Barnstone, A. mss., 1968-2010

2 Boxes (2 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2344
The Barnstone, A. mss., 1968-, consists of the poems and correspondence of poet Aliki Dora Barnstone, 1956-.

Barnstone mss., 1948-2015

65 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2343
The Barnstone mss., 1948-2015, consists of the papers of poet and translator Willis Barnstone, 1927-.

Barron, Cecelia mss., 1965-1974

5 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2878
The Barron, Cecelia mss., 1965-2015, consists of the papers and brass rubbings of artist Cecelia Barron.

Beldon Fund Records, 1954-2015

102 cubic feet (101 cartons, 1 document case, 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS085
The Beldon Fund was created in 1978 by environmental philanthropist John R. Hunting as a national foundation focused on advocating for environmental policy. From 1982 to 1998, the Beldon Fund provided grants to organizations like American Environment Inc., the Clean Water Fund, the Ohio Environmental Council, and the Idaho Conservation League. In 1998, John Hunting sold his stock in Steelcase Inc. and endowed Beldon with $100 million, prompting him to rethink the direction of the foundation. Hunting believed that increasing global warming and environmental destruction required immediate attention, and so he planned a ten-year spend-out of the Beldon Fund. Initially, Beldon made grants in five program areas, but in 2001, feedback indicated their scope was too broad for their spend-out timeframe. Beldon refocused into two program areas—the Key States program and the Human Health and the Environment program. The Beldon Fund made its last grants in June 2008 and closed its doors in 2009, after the completion of the spend-out. Over the last ten years of the fund, Beldon spent $120 million in grants and projects. The Beldon Fund Records consist of grant proposals, grant reports, notification of grants, board minutes, executive director records, financial and administrative records, and correspondence.

Bellevue Gallery mss., 1976-2014

3 linear feet Collection ID: LMC 2948
The Bellevue Gallery mss., 1976-2014, consist of promotional material and artwork from the Bellevue Gallery in Bloomington, Indiana.

Bell mss., 1942-2006

19 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2572
The Bell mss., 1942-2006, consists of the correspondence, writings, and printer's proofs of the works of author Charles Greenleaf Bell, 1916-2010.

Bellos mss., 1954-2014

10 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2533
The Bellos mss., 1954-2014, consists of correspondence, notes, manuscript drafts, and research files of literary translator and writer David Bellos, 1945-.

Belton, Don mss., 1960-2009

37 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2761
The Belton, Don mss., 1907-2009, consists of the papers, writings, and correspondence of Indiana University Assistant Professor of English Don Belton, 1956-2009.

Bernofsky mss., 1993-2014

5 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2577
The Bernofsky mss., 1993-2007, consists of correspondence, manuscripts, and proofs of translator Susan Bernofsky, 1966-.

Beta Phi Mu Chi Chapter records, 1973-2010, bulk 1995-2002

2 cubic feet (2 boxes) Collection ID: C325
The Chi Chapter of Beta Phi Mu, the international honor society for library and information studies, was established at Indiana University in 1971. Collection consists of administrative files that were created by various officers of the Chi Chapter from the first years of the group's existence through 2010.