Collections

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level Collection Remove constraint Level: Collection Year 2000 Remove constraint Year: <span class="single" data-blrl-single="2000">2000</span>
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

 
Juniper Von Phitzer Press
The Juniper Von Phitzer Press mss., 1719-2012, consists of correspondence, business papers, ephemera, printed materials, reprints of original materials, photographs, albums, and plaques related to the activities of the miniature book publisher Juniper Von Phitzer Press.
 

6. Boerner mss., 1779-2020 4 Boxes (3 standard; 1 custom)

Wolzogen, Caroline von, 1763-1847
The Boerner mss., 1779-1828, consist of manuscripts, journals, and correspondence by and relating to German writers Caroline von Wolzogen, Oskar Seidlin, and Friedrich von Schiller, along with related research material from German literary scholar and Goethe researcher Peter Boerner.
 

8. Translations mss., 1800-2010 2 Boxes (2 standard)

Translations mss., ca. 19th-21st centuries, consist primarily of manuscripts of literary translations, either from a foreign language into English or in some cases from English into another language. Also present are letters from authors to translators of their work or from the translators to the authors they translate.
 
Indiana University Folklore Archives
The Indiana University Folklore Archives was established in 1956 by Richard M. Dorson of the Indiana University Folklore Institute and grew to comprise 40,000 field collections gathered in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky, before closing in 1990. This collection contains the Folklore Archives' administrative files, special collections of prominent folklorists' research materials, reprints of journal articles, bibliographies, a collection of folksongs, and subject files and index cards on topics that include beliefs, customs, games, jokes, and legends.
 
Online
Wells, Herman B
Before becoming president of Indiana University, Herman B Wells served as an assistant cashier at the National Bank of Lebanon before going on to work for the Indiana Bankers Association, the Indiana Commission for Financial Institutions, and the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions. He was named dean of the Indiana University School of Business administration in 1935 by IU President William Lowe Bryan. In 1937 he was named acting president of the university and president the following year, a position he held until 1962. Upon his retirement, IU created the position of University Chancellor, which Dr. Wells held until his death in 2000. This collection consists of Wells' personal papers and includes papers pertaining to his family and personal finances, his activities in the banking profession, his work in Germany for the United States government after World War II, and to his research and teaching and professional activities as a member of the faculty of Indiana University.
 
Weaver, William Fense
The Weaver, W. mss. II, 1833-2006, consists of the correspondence, writings, research, photographs, and teaching materials pertaining to the life and work of literary critic and translator William Weaver, 1923-2013.
 
Online
Indiana University. Trustees
The Indiana University Trustees serve as the governing board of the university. Created in 1820, the current Board meets six times per year. Among the Board's powers are their capacity to possess all the real and personal property of the university; to expend the income of the university; and to all bylaws necessary to carry these powers into effect. The minutes in this collection include official acts, resolutions, policies, agreements, and other business pertaining to the governance of Indiana University between 1838-1859 and 1883-2017.
 

17. Jansen, Peter K. mss., 1836-2005 1 Box (1 standard)

Jansen, Peter K.
The Jansen, Peter K. mss., 1836–2005, consists primarily of manuscripts, drafts, correspondence and other material relating to translations into English from the German made by Peter K. Jansen (1934–2007) over the course of his career.
 
Jay, John, 1918-2008
This collection consists of the family papers of Indiana University alumni John and Hilda Jay. The collection primarily consists of correspondence between John, Hilda, and family or friends largely spanning 1939-2002; personal files containing educational materials, a journal, and a scrapbook; as well as several home movies from circa 1939-1946.
 

20. School of Medicine Records, 1848-2013 294 cubic feet (286 cartons, 5 flat boxes, 3 bound books, 2 manuscript boxes)

Online
Brater, D. Craig
The Indiana University School of Medicine emerged from a number of private, proprietary medical schools that existed in Indianapolis in the nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The most important of these private medical schools were the Medical College of Indiana and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, both of which operated in Indianapolis. In the first decade of the twentieth century efforts began to try to merge these private schools under the state universities then in Indiana, Purdue University and Indiana University. The merger of several medical schools under Purdue University was short-lived. In 1903 Indiana University established first year (classroom) medical studies at Bloomington, and in 1907 merged with the Medical College of Indiana and the remnant of the Purdue medical school to establish clinical instruction in Indianapolis. In subsequent years the School of Medicine was housed in Indianapolis on a large campus with several hospitals, clinical, and research facilities. First year medical studies were moved to Indianapolis by the 1950s.
 

21. American Turners Records, 1853-2017 33.1 cubic feet (29 cartons, 8 flat boxes)

Online
American Turners (Organization)
Immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century founded organizations that served as social centers, maintained cultural identity, and promoted the ideals and the interests of the immigrants and their American-born descendants. The American Turners is an example of such an organization. Established by German immigrants in 1850, the American Turners advocated a liberal political philosophy and fought to protect both the political rights and the German heritage of the immigrants. The Turners encouraged the practice of exercise and physical fitness, and they convinced school boards in many cities to make physical education a part of the educational curriculum. The American Turner records include annual reports, minutes and correspondence relating to the national officers, correspondence with local societies, national convention minutes and materials, financial and membership records, national committee records, records and materials from national sporting events sponsored by the American Turners, records of the Turner Pioneers and the Women's Auxiliary, Turner publications, and materials from the German Turner movement and other organizations related to the American Turners.
 

22. Arthur R. Metz papers, 1853-2018 6.6 cubic feet (10 boxes)

Metz, Arthur R., 1887-1963
Arthur R. Metz was a student at Indiana University from 1904-1909 and one of the first recipients of the IU Distinguished Alumni Service Award. He was a doctor who served in multiple capacities including for hospitals, railroads, the military, corporations, and universities and also was a member of many medical organizations. The collection consists of Metz's family records, school materials, personal and professional correspondence, personal photographs, military and travel materials and photographs, magazine and newspaper clippings, medical and organizational publications, and professional certificates. There are also papers and photographs documenting the Metz Foundation and Metz Suite.
 
Online
Indiana University. Alumni Association
The Indiana University Alumni Association was founded in 1854 as an organization through which graduates could contribute to the pursuit of university interests. Members of the Association held semi-annual meetings, first as the Alumni Association and later in separate branches, including the Alumni Council, established in 1913 (later called the Executive Council). This collection consists primarily of the minutes of the IU Alumni Association, Alumni Council, Executive Council, and Board of Managers meetings spanning 1854-2011.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Chemistry Library
With a history dating back to 1895, the Chemistry library was initially housed in Wylie Hall, however with the completion of the Chemistry building in the 1930s it relocated and remains in that location to this day. The collection consists primarily of administrative files such as handbook, notes and memos.
 

25. J. Chester and Elizabeth Fletcher Allen papers (Civil Rights Heritage Center), 1860, 1928-2005 8.15 cubic feet (One full-size records case, one letter-size documents case, twenty-six shelved books, and oversize material in flat storage.)

Allen, J. Chester, 1900-1980
Mr. J. Chester Allen and his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Fletcher Allen, were prominent African American attorneys in the South Bend, Indiana area. The Allens lived a relatively privileged lifestyle; however, they were very aware that their privilege necessitated a responsibility to help other African Americans who suffered injustices – social, economical, and educational. As lawyers, they worked within the system and with such groups as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and Urban League (among others) to bring about positive social change. Their efforts brought an end to the Engman Natatorium's exclusion of African Americans, and they helped bring equity to war contracts in Michiana industries for both African Americans and women during World War II. Their family law practice often took on pro-bono cases for those who could not afford lawyers of their caliber.
 

26. Jay mss., 1864-2005 5 Boxes

Jay, Ricky
The Jay mss., 1864-2005, consist of approximately 325 spirit photographs and related correspondence and printed materials collected by magician Ricky Jay, 1946-2018.
 

27. American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016 10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes)

American Turners Northwest Chicago (Chicago, Ill.)
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
 
Campbell, Robert W. (Robert Wellington), 1926-2015
Robert Campbell was a professor of economics at Indiana University from 1961 until his retirement in 1993, during which he held the positions of chairperson for the Department of Economics and Director of the Russian and East European Institute. He was a scholar of centrally planned economies, especially of the former Soviet Union. The collection consists of materials used for his publication A Biobibliographical Dictionary of Russian and Soviet Economists, records related to his consultations and conferences, documents related to his distinguished professor nomination, and correspondence.
 
Jelavich, Barbara, 1923-1995
Both graduates of the University of California, Berkeley, Barbara and Charles Jelavich were hired at Indiana University in 1962 as specialists in Eastern European History by then Chair of the History Department Robert Byrnes. The majority of the collection reflects the work of Barbara while a small portion of the work of Charles is included with publications.
 

31. School of Physical Education and Tourism Management Records, 1873-2009 11 cubic feet (10 record cartons, 1 document case, and 1 flat box)

IUPUI (Campus). Department of Tourism, Conventions & Event Management
The Indiana University School of Physical Education opened in 1866 as a private school for the instruction of gymnastic teachers and is the oldest continuously operated school of physical education in the country. The school's faculty and graduates have played a major role in the introduction of physical education into the public school curriculum and in the development of physical education as a discipline. The school, first known as the Turnlehrerseminar (Gymnastic Teachers' Seminary) and then as the Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union, was started by the American Turners, an athletic, cultural, and social organization founded by German immigrants in 1850. The school originally trained instructors for the athletic programs run by Turner societies, but by the late nineteenth century many of the school's graduates were teaching in public schools as school systems began adding physical education to their curriculum. The Normal College, which moved to Indianapolis in 1907, merged with Indiana University in 1941. In 1946 the school became a department within the Indiana University School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, then in 1971 became an autonomous school under its current name. Records include correspondence, minutes, faculty and student records, financial records, alumni records, publications, and other records.
 

32. Athenaeum Turners Records, 1876-2005 14.7 cubic feet (10 cartons, 8 flat boxes)

Online
Athenaeum Turners
The Athenaeum Turner organization was founded in 1851 as the Indianapolis Turngemeinde. This athletic and social organization was patterned on German clubs that had supported the 1848 revolutions that attempted to form Liberal republics in several European kingdoms. The men who established the Indianapolis Turngemeinde and the competing Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnverein (merged in 1852 to form the Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnegemiende) tried to create a community focus for the rapidly expanding immigrant population. The activist political backgrounds of many German immigrants led to a strong emphasis on the Turner idea of developing both a strong mind and strong body in order to better serve society. After the American Civil War, for which many Turners volunteered due to anti-slavery beliefs and a desire to demonstrate loyalty to their adopted nation, the reorganized and renamed Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein became the primary focus for German business and culture in the city. Certainly the German House (das Deutsches Haus), built between 1894 and 1898, was designed to serve as more than just a center for physical training since it contained a restaurant, theaters, and a number of meeting rooms. From the 1890s, the leaders of the Turner organization were also directors or important officers in dozens of prominent businesses and cultural organizations. This led to some overlap in the interaction between public, private, and political affairs in the German community of Indianapolis - and this is reflected in the collection. The outbreak of World War I and the anti-German sentiment which followed led to a renaming of the building (as the Athenaeum) and contributed to a decline in the importance of the Turnverein. The organization, now known as the Athenaeum Turners, experienced a revival during the 1950s and remained active into the 1960s, though its activities gradually became more social and less athletic. By the 1970s American acculturation and suburbanization resulted in a rapid decline in membership and financial stability and the near collapse of the Turner society. It currently exists solely as a German cultural organization. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, board and committee minutes, correspondence, officer and committee reports, financial records, membership lists, event advertisements, brochures, newsletters and photographs.
 

33. Athenaeum Damenverein and Women's Auxiliary Records, 1876-2007 4.4 cubic feet (3 cartons, 1 document box, 2 flat boxes)

Indianapolis Turn-Schwestern Verein
This women's organization was founded by the Socialer Turnverein (Social Athletic Club) in 1876 as the Indianapolis Turn-Schwestern Verein. It was initially intended to support the activities of the Turnverein, and especially to promote and oversee the girls' athletic classes, and to help enlarge and preserve the Turner library. Within a few years the Turn Sisters became known as the Damenverein (Women's Club) des Socialer Turnverein and began to undertake broader responsibilities in the community. As with most German societies, membership declined during World War I and use of the German language was dropped. The organization revived with the merging of several societies during the 1930s and becomes known as the Women's Auxiliary. Membership increased again after World War II as their focus drifted away from a wartime role as a service organization and more towards social activities. The gradual decline of the Athenaeum Turners through the 1970s and 1980s also affected the Women's Auxiliary. In the 1990s the Damenverein name was restored to recognize the earlier German connections, and in recent years the very limited activities of the group have become more closely linked with their German-American cultural identity. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, minutes, correspondence, financial records, committee reports, membership lists and directories, event advertisements and photographs.
 
Frey, David G. (David Grover), 1915-1992
David G. Frey was a professor of zoology at Indiana University who specialized in limnology (aquatic ecology) and Cladocera (water flea). The collection consists of Frey's personal correspondence, reprints of most of his publications, as well as extensive research files encompassing his years as a limnologist.
 

36. Streets family papers (Civil Rights Heritage Center), 1880-2006 3.4 cubic feet (Two standard-size records cases and one oversize flat storage case, plus digital files.)

Streets, Bernard, Sr., 1906-2000
The Streets family papers document the life of South Bend, Indiana residents Dr. Bernard and Odie Mae Streets, and their families in previous and subsequent generations. Both Dr. Bernard and Odie Mae Streets were life-long community activists in South Bend and beyond, and Dr. Streets was the first African American dentist in the city. This collection of personal papers and photographs documents both their service to and activities in the South Bend community over several decades. The Streets were key figures in community activism on many levels, bettering South Bend's underserved populations and neighborhoods. The Streets family also was active in national non-profit and religious-based organizations.
 

38. J. Gus Liebenow Collection, 1882-2011 18 cubic feet (18 records cartons)

J. Gus Liebenow was a professor emeritus of political science at Indiana University. Starting his tenure in 1958, Liebenow also served as the dean for Research and Advanced Studies as well as vice president and dean of Academic Affairs. In 1961, he also found the University's African Studies Program. This collections consists of lecture notes, personal files, department records, Liebenow's writings, and materials from numerous organizations he was affiliated with.
 
Online
Caldwell, Lynton K. (Lynton Keith), 1913-2006
Lynton K. Caldwell was an assistant professor of government at Indiana University South Bend from 1939-1944 and returned to Indiana University Bloomington in 1965, where he taught political science as well as public and environmental affairs until his retirement in 1984 as the Arthur F. Bentley Professor Emeritus of Political Science and Professor Emeritus of Public and Environmental Affairs. Caldwell was a recognized authority on environmental policy. His papers include a large amount of published works, but also contain correspondence and material related to conferences and professional organizations.
 
Online
Spulber, Nicolas
Nicolas Spulber was a Distinguished Professor of Economics at Indiana University. Born in Romania in 1915, he immigrated to the United States in 1948 and began teaching at IU in 1954. His research interests focused primarily on the Soviet and post-Soviet economy and the functions of states in economic frameworks including centrally planned, developing, and market economies. Spulber continued researching and writing until his death in 2004. The collection consists of his research materials, reports, conference presentations, correspondence, and manuscripts and reviews of his published works.
 
The Hill, A. mss., ca. 1886-2004, consist of correspondence, journal fragments, legal and financial documents, clippings, photos, and account books of Lady Anne Hill (1911–2006), author, public figure, and wife of prominent bookseller G. Heywood Hill.
 

43. Solley mss., 1888-2006 35 Boxes

Solley, Thomas T.
The Solley mss., 1888-2006, consists of the automobile and coachbuilder catalogs, photographs, and related automobile literature of architect Thomas T. Solley, 1924–2006.
 
Ostrom, Elinor
The Ostrom, Elinor mss., ca. 1889-2012, consist of the research, papers, correspondence, publications, manuscripts, proposals, photographs, audio tapes, and realia of Vincent and Elinor Ostrom, their colleagues and families, and the Vincent and Elinor Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis.
 
Eastman, Eliena Krylenko, 1895-1956
The Eastman mss. IV, 1890-2009, consist of the photographs, correspondence, personal papers, writings, and artwork of Max Eastman, 1883-1969; Yvette Szekely Eastman, 1912-2014; and Eliena Krylenko Eastman, 1895-1956.
 

46. Harry A. and Lois Davis Papers, 1891-2012 7 cubic feet (7 record cartons and 2 oversized folders)

Davis, Harry A., 1914-2006
Harry Allen Davis, Jr., Indiana artist and Herron School of Art professor, was born in Hillsboro, Indiana in 1914 and moved to Brownsburg, Indiana in 1920. In 1938, he graduated from the John Herron Art Institute and won the Prix de Rome in Painting. After studying at the American Academy in Rome and briefly teaching at Beloit College, he joined the Army in 1942 and was a combat artist in Europe in World War II. When the war was over, Davis took a position teaching drawing and painting at the Herron School of Art. There, he met Lois Irene Peterson from LaPorte, Indiana and the two married in 1947. They had two children together. Harry Davis was a professor at the Herron School of Art until his retirement in 1983. As an artist, he was known for his series of paintings featuring older American and more specifically, Hoosier, buildings and structures. Harry Davis died in 2006. The Harry and Lois Davis Papers consist mainly of Harry Davis's correspondence and exhibition files, as well as scrapbooks and news clippings about Harry and Lois Davis and about Herron faculty and alumni. Also included are a journal and travel documents from his time at the American Academy and a memoir from the war.
 
Indiana University. Trustees
The Indiana University Board of Trustees serve as the governing board of the University. Created in 1820, its powers include the capacity to possess all the real and personal property of the university, to allocate the income of the university, and to create or approve all rules necessary to carry these powers into effect. This collection contains agendas, correspondence and reports which support the discussion generated at the official Trustee meetings.
 

48. George List papers, 1894-2008, bulk 1958-1990 16 cubic feet (18 boxes)

Online
List, George, 1911-2008
Collection consists of the papers of George List (1911-2008), Professor of Folklore, Director of the Inter-American Program in Ethnomusicology (1966-1976), and Director of the Archives of Traditional Music (1954-1976) at Indiana University. His primary research interests included folk music, the traditional music of the Hopi tribes of Northern Arizona, and the music of indigenous tribes in the Caribbean regions of Colombia and the Andes and Amazon regions of Ecuador. This collection includes personal and professional correspondence, publications, research, subject files, audiovisual content, and many of his musical compositions.
 

49. Athenaeum Foundation Records, 1894-2011 8.6 cubic feet (8 cartons, 1 flat box)

Athenaeum Foundation (Indianapolis, Ind.)
The Athenaeum Foundation was organized in 1991 and incorporated as a not-for-profit foundation operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The foundation's purposes was to acquire title to the Athenaeum, located at 401 East Michigan Street in Indianapolis; to raise funds for and supervise and direct the rehabilitation of building to maintain its architectural and aesthetic integrity as a historic structure; to educate the public about the history and significance of the Athenaeum; to foster the use of the building by the foundation itself, the building's tenants, and other organizations; and to oversee the management of the building.
 

50. Warren d'Azevedo Collection, 1895-2001 35 cubic feet; (35 records cartons, 3 being oversized, 1 being restricted materials)

D'Azevedo, Warren L.
Warren d'Azevedo is a retired ethnographer, renowned for his work in anthropology and African studies. D'Azevedo began his research in the 1950s, focusing primarily on African cultures, including the Gola ethnic group of Liberia and the Native American Washoe culture of the Great Basin. This collection consists of d'Azevedo's writings, photographs, memorabilia, and U.S. and Liberian government documents and teaching materials.
 

51. Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis Records, 1895-2002 7.5 cubic feet (7 cartons and 2 flat boxes)

Online
Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis is a social service organization focusing on youth in Indianapolis. The organization started in 1893 as the Newsboy's Home. Founders of the home were Thomas C. Day; Caleb S. Denny, three term mayor of Indianapolis; Carrie Lowe Denny, his wife; and M.V. McGilliard, a local philanthropist. Today the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis operate ten clubs: five in clubhouse facilities and five clubs based at Indianapolis Public Schools. These clubs are strategically located in the city to serve the most at-risk youth. Programs offered by the organization's professional staff and volunteers include counseling, career development, cultural enrichment, social recreation, citizenship and leadership development, and individual and team sports. The records consist of association and individual club materials and include board of director's minutes, events and activities, fundraising and publicity, annual reports, individual club files, record books, photographs, and videos.
 
Indiana University. University Graduate School. Graduate Council
In 1894, Indiana University instituted a standing Committee on Advanced Degrees charged with directing the growing number of students undertaking graduate studies. Formal organization of the Graduate School was authorized by the faculty in 1904, with the continued governance of the Committee until the office of the dean within the IU Graduate School was created in 1908. At that time, the committee emerged as the Administrative Committee and in 1909 became the Graduate Council. As the school's faculty took over the duties of the council in the 1930s, the council was deemed unnecessary and disbanded. However, in the 1950s the Graduate School underwent a reorganization and the Graduate Council was reestablished. The council is still active, meeting monthly during the academic year. Collection consists of memos, proposals, reports, and minutes of the Indiana University Graduate Council.
 

56. Czech mss., 1900-2010 1 bound

Nezval, Vitězslav, 1900-1958
The Czech mss., ca. 1900-2010, consists of individual items by Czech writers, artists, etc., written in the Czech language and acquired from a variety of sources.
 
Madison, James H.
James Madison is the Thomas and Kathryn Miller Professor Emeritus of History at Indiana University. He graduated from Indiana University and has spent nearly his entire career teaching at IU. The collection largely consists of materials relating to his written works and extensive service activities both at IU and within the state. Of particular interest are the notes and drafts for his books Eli Lilly: A Life, 1885-1977 (1989), Indiana Through Tradition and Change (1982), and The Indiana Way: A State History (1986). The collection also contains correspondence, class syllabi, various committee materials, and materials related to his activities within the History Department.
 
Local Council of Women (Bloomington, Ind.)
The Local Council of Women mss., 1902-2010, consists of the papers, financial records, and publications by and about the Local Council of Women service organization in Bloomington, Indiana, as well as of the Bloomington Hospital.
 

61. Herron School of Art and Design Records, 1902-2014 89.4 cubic feet (87 cartons, 1 document box, and 10 flat boxes)

Online
IU Herron School of Art and Design
The Herron School of Art and Design has provided instruction in both fine and commercial art since 1902. Founded by the Art Association of Indianapolis as part of the John Herron Art Institute, the school became part of the Indiana University system in 1967 and one of the schools of IUPUI in 1969. The school's faculty, students, and alumni have won several prestigious awards and gained national recognition for their work. The school was located in buildings at 16th and Pennsylvania Streets until 2005, when it moved into Eskenazi Hall on the IUPUI campus. Records include correspondence, minutes, reports, newsletters, exhibition programs and promotional material, publications, videotapes, and glass slides.
 

62. Frank K. Edmondson papers, 1904-2003 95 cubic feet (95 boxes)

Edmondson, Frank K. (Frank Kelly), 1912-2008
Consists of the personal papers of Edmondson and includes correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, research files, publications, records related to the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), teaching files, and departmental files.
 

63. Indiana University Department of Astronomy records, 1904-2018, bulk 1940-1988 2.8 Cubic Feet (1 rc, 2 dc, 1 legal dc, slide storage)

Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Astronomy
This collection largely reflects the results of research conducted by the Indiana University Department of Astronomy at the Goethe Link Observatory and the Daniel Kirkwood Observatory. The collection discusses equipment and instruments relevant to their work, topics related to the observatories, papers related to the Conference on Red Giant Stars/Cool Star Conference, publications, record books containing collected data, and files about select faculty.
 
Townsend, E. Reginald,
E. Reginald Townsend (1917-1980) is best known as the man who built Liberia's Information Service. He served as Press Secretary and Chief of the Bureau (now the Department of Information, Culture and Tourism) to William V.S. Tubman, President of Liberia from 1944 to 1971, and as Minister of State for Presidential Affairs to William R. Tolbert, President of Liberia from 1971 to 1980. Townsend's wife, Evelyn Diggs Townsend (1932-2004), was involved in and led several church and women's organizations. After a coup brought down the Tolbert government and resulted in her husband's execution in 1980, she worked to attain peace in Liberia. The materials in this collection include papers from the years of Reginald Townsend's service during the Tubman and Tolbert presidencies and those from Evelyn Townsend's work in many service organizations, as well as personal correspondence and memorabilia from the Townsend family
 

68. Organization of American Historians Records, 1906-2019 227 cubic feet (187 cartons, 34 document boxes, 13 flat boxes, 73 optical discs, 70 floppy disks, 36 rolls of microfilm, 15 audio cassettes, 2 videotapes)

Organization of American Historians
The Organization of American Historians (OAH) was founded in 1907 under the name the Mississippi Valley Historical Association (MVHA). The founders created a historical organization that encouraged research and study of the area that made up the Mississippi Valley. In 1913 it began to sponsor a scholarly journal, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review. The organization eventually outgrew its brand name as a regional association by gaining members throughout the country. The organization officially changed its name to the Organization of American Historians in 1965. Today, the OAH is a national organization with a worldwide membership promoting American history research.
 

71. George C. Hale papers, 1907-2011 0.2 cubic feet (1 box)

Hale, George C., 1891-1948
Dr. George C. Hale, 1891-1948, was an Indiana native and chemist for the Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, New Jersey. His research concentrated on ordnance both for military and commercial applications. The collection consists of biographical materials, correspondence, and photographs relating to Dr. Hale's education, career, and accomplishments.
 

72. Indiana FFA Association Records, 1910s-2006 25.0 cubic feet (18 cartons, 2 document boxes, 9 flat boxes, 7 audio cassettes, 14 video cassettes)

Online
Indiana FFA
The Indiana FFA Association, formed in 1929, was the 19th state association chartered by the National FFA Organization, an agricultural education organization consisting of 52 chartered state associations including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Each state association is governed by its own constitution approved by the National FFA Organization and is comprised of chapters within secondary schools throughout the state. In 1968 the Indiana FFA Leadership Center was established in Trafalgar, Indiana, to house leadership activities, the State FFA Officers, and state staff. By 2004, the Indiana FFA Association included 9,000 members in 188 chapters statewide.
 

73. Frank Anton Hoffmann papers, 1911-2004, bulk 1955-1976 3 Cubic Feet (2 rc, 1 small legal dc, 1 letter dc, 1 small letter dc, 1 custom box for photo album )

Hoffmann, Frank Anton, 1926-
Dr. Frank Anton Hoffmann was a PhD student in Folklore at Indiana University Bloomington from 1958 to 1968. He became a professor of English and Folklore at the State University of New York at Buffalo. This collection features Hoffmann's personal papers including correspondence, collected folklore society publications, and a photo album from the 1958 Folklore Institute.
 
Online
Indiana University, Bloomington. School of Journalism
The School of Journalism had its beginnings at Indiana University when the first journalism course was offered in 1891. A Department of Journalism was established in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1911, and in 1974 the department became the School of Journalism. The School of Journalism has had many well-known and successful graduates, including the famous World War II journalist Ernie Pyle. This collection consists of records of the Department/School of Journalism collected and compiled by Marjorie Blewett, an administrative assistant in Journalism from 1965-1980 and placement director from 1980-1990. The records within the collection consist largely of the correspondence and other administrative files generated by the directors or deans of the Department/School of Journalism. The majority of the records were generated by or sent to John Stempel and Richard Gray during the years 1938-1984, but Marjorie Blewett also contributes some her own personal records.
 
Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
This collection consists of maps, audio recordings, news reports, advertisements, committee notes, photographs, and story transcripts for the campus ghost walks organized by the Indiana University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology. The ghost walks are annual tours that feature ghost legends tied to well-known places on campus and the Bloomington, Indiana, area.
 

77. Union Board records, 1912-2021, bulk 1922-2010 38.4 cubic feet (39 boxes)

Online
Indiana Memorial Union. Union Board
The Union Board serves as the governing body for the Indiana Memorial Union, which organizes various events and activities for students on the Indiana University Bloomington campus. Established in 1909, the Union Board has since developed into the largest student programming body at Indiana University. The Collection consists of minutes of Union Board meetings and a variety of administrative documents and materials related to past programs, activities, and events.
 

78. Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Records, 1913-2002 43.0 cubic feet (39 cartons, 4 cassette boxes, 2 flat boxes, 13 video cassettes, and 64 audio cassettes)

Online
Council for Advancement and Support of Education
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) is an organization formed by the 1975 merger of the American Alumni Council (AAC) and the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA). Constituents of both groups believed their goal of increasing the professional competence of those individuals involved in all phases of alumni work including, alumni administration, educational fund raising, public relations and publications in order to promote the cause of education could be better achieved as a single entity. The collection contains the records of CASE and its predecessor institutions covering the development of the early organizations and their merger to form the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
 

79. Indiana University Women's Club records, 1913-2004, bulk 1940-1975 8 cubic feet(Approximately) (8 boxes)

University Women's Club (Indiana University, Bloomington)
The University Women's Club was established at Indiana University on April 24, 1913, under the name of the Faculty Women's Club. The goal of the club was to hold social gatherings for members. In 1959 the group changed its name to the University Women's Club to avoid further confusion with the Women's Faculty Club. The collection consists of meeting minutes and reports, subject files and scrapbooks.
 
Coughlan, Robert, 1914-1992
John Robert Coughlan was a journalist and author, notably publishing articles in LIFE and Fortune magazines prior to ghostwriting Rose Kennedy's memoir, Times to Remember. Coughlan was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by Indiana University in 1988. His papers, gathered and annotated by his wife, Patricia Coughlan, include correspondence, notebooks, manuscripts, photographs, ephemera, and publications.
 
Bowie, Theodore Robert
Theodore Bowie was a prominent faculty member at Indiana University, whose contributions to the field of the history of Asian Art made him a pivotal figure in the development of both the University's Art History Program and the University's Art Museum. This collection contains materials from both Bowie's professional and personal career. Professional documents from his time spent as professor and curator include lecture notes, travel itineraries, copies of scholarly publications, departmental memos and correspondence, loan agreements for exhibitions, and exhibition catalogues. A large number of exhibition materials pertain to "The Arts of Thailand", a traveling exhibition organized by Bowie that showcased previously unrecognized Thai art in the West. Accompanying these professional documents are Bowie's personal correspondence, drafts of his memoir, and a large number of photos and exhibition scrapbooks.
 

83. Henry H. H. Remak papers, 1914-2010, bulk 1965-1998 72 cubic feet(Approximately) (73 boxes)

Remak, Henry H. H. (Henry Heymann Herman), 1916-
Henry H. H. Remak was hired at Indiana University-Bloomington as a full-time professor for the Department of German in 1948. He also taught for the Department of Comparative Literature, West European Studies and the Honors Division. Additionally, Remak chaired the Department of German in 1962, the Department of Comparative Literature intermittently between 1954 and 1963, as well as West European Studies from 1966-1969. He was also Vice Chancellor and Dean of the Faculties from 1969-1974 and Director of the Institute for Advanced Study from 1988-1994 and 1997-1998. This collection consists of papers related to Remak's teaching, administrative positions, university and disciplinary service, and academic scholarship.
 

84. Kiwanis International Records, 1914-2015 153 cubic feet (197 boxes, 343 video cassettes)

Online
Kiwanis International
Kiwanis International, briefly called the Supreme Lodge Benevolent Order Brothers, was officially chartered in 1915 as a club for businessmen that also had social and commercial benefits. That original intent evolved quickly into a club for businessmen who wanted to improve their communities, hence the 1920 motto "we build." Today, Kiwanis International is a global organization, with numerous projects dedicated primarily to their current motto of "serving the children of the world." Through community-based, volunteer efforts, Kiwanians work toward improving the lives of children worldwide through projects such as The Worldwide Service Project for Iodine Deficiency Disorder, Young Children: Priority One, and their current global campaign, The Eliminate Project: Kiwanis eliminating maternal/neonatal tetanus. Kiwanis International membership includes clubs for ages six through adults, with approximately 600,000 total active members. This collection contains minutes, correspondence, newsletters, supply catalogs, publications, scrapbooks, photographs, negatives, slides, and audio/visual materials.
 

85. Office of the Chancellor Records, 1914-2017 371 cubic feet (371 cartons, 1 document box, 1 flat box)

Online
Hine, Maynard K.,1907-1996
This collection contains the records of the Office of the Chancellor. The chancellor is the chief executive officer of IUPUI and oversees the development and the operation of the campus. In 1974 the chancellor received the additional title of vice president of Indiana University and in the title was changed to executive vice president of Indiana University. The chancellor is also IUPUI's principal representative to the general community.
 

86. George T. Engelman Jr. papers, 1915-2008, bulk 1941-1968 0.4 cubic feet (1 box; 1 oversize folder)

Engelman, George T., Jr., 1919-2008
George T. Engelman Jr. was a graduate from Indiana University, attending IU from 1937-1941. He worked and raised his family for a few years in Bloomington while studying for his master's degree in education in the 40s and 50s and working for RCA. He was also a WWII veteran. This collection contains his army records from 1942-1968, biographical documents from 1915-2008, correspondence, family home videos, teaching documents, and materials from his time serving in WWII such as ration stamps and Pearl Harbor Officers' Club cards.
 

87. Campus Bulletin collection, 1915-2021 4.4 cubic feet (11 letter-size documents cases)

Indiana University South Bend
This collection contains academic campus bulletins outlining degrees and classes offered at Indiana University South Bend, as well as early Indiana University extension courses offered in the South Bend-Mishawaka area before the establishment of IU South Bend as a stand-alone university, from 1915 to the present day. Campus bulletins contain information about the curriculum at Indiana University South Bend, as well as administrative leadership, academic policies, and general information about the campus. Campus bulletins are an excellent resource for tracing the history of degrees and classes offered at the university over time.
 

88. Indianapolis Foundation Records, 1916-2000 60 cubic feet (25 cartons, 50 document boxes, 20 flat boxes, 1 videocassette)

Online
Indianapolis Foundation
The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would "be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable uses as well in its judgment promote the welfare of persons now or hereafter residing in Indianapolis, Indiana." The foundation began making grants in 1924 and today continues to give to Indianapolis organizations to help improve the quality of life in the city.
 

89. John Gay Collection, 1916-2002 12 cubic feet (12 records cartons)

Gay, John
John Gay is a former professor and current scholar of Liberian and African studies. He began his career as a missionary for the Episcopal Church, teaching at Cuttington College in Liberia. John also had a number of fellowships that allowed him to develop his research and publish several works covering the civil war conflicts, culture, and social issues in Liberia. Though retired, John continues to have an active role in Liberian studies and currently serves on the Advisory Committee of the International Institute for Justice and Development. This collection contains his research, student publications, and other scholarly works.
 

90. National FFA Organization Records, 1916-2008 145.2 cubic feet (104 cartons, 20 flat boxes, 5 cassette boxes, 3 document boxes, 166 videotapes, 58 films)

Online
National FFA Organization
The National FFA Organization, originally called the Future Farmers of America, was founded in 1928 as a national organization for boys in rural, farming communities. Its original purpose, the education of youth in agricultural fields of study, is still recognized through its current programs. Today, the mission of the National FFA Organization is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education. Through educational programs the FFA teaches students how to become active in their communities and successful in their occupation. FFA membership includes junior high, high school, and college students and totals approximately 450,000. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, newsletters, publications, reports, audio cassettes, video cassettes, and photographs.
 

91. Kiwanis Club of Indianapolis Records, 1916-2011 20.2 cubic feet (19 cartons, 4 document boxes)

Kiwanis International
Kiwanis International, briefly called the Supreme Lodge Benevolent Order Brothers, was officially chartered in 1915 as a club for businessmen that also had social and commercial benefits. That original intent evolved quickly into a club for businessmen who wanted to improve their communities, hence the 1920 motto "we build." Today, Kiwanis International is a global organization, with numerous projects dedicated primarily to their current motto of "serving the children of the world." The Downtown Kiwanis Club of Indianapolis was the first Kiwanis club in Indiana, founded in 1916, and currently has more than 250 members, making it the largest Kiwanis Club in Indiana. This collection contains by-laws, minutes, correspondence, newsletters, club rosters, tax information, yearbooks, scrapbooks, and brochures.
 
Online
Ringer, William Raimond, 1898-1973
William R. Ringer graduated from Indiana University in 1920. After earning his JD at the University of Michigan, he went on to have a successful legal career. This small collection consists primarily of diaries and journals maintained while Ringer was an Indiana University student.
 

94. Junior Achievement Records, 1916-2016 230 cubic feet (222 cartons, 6 document boxes, 4 flat boxes, and 1 roll), 27 videotapes, 15 filmstrips, 38 cassette tapes)

Online
Junior Achievement
Junior Achievement, Inc. (JA) was founded in 1919 as the Boys' and Girls' Bureau of the Eastern States League. Embracing the concept of "learning by doing," the leaders of the Bureau dedicated themselves to teaching urban youth proper business practice and methods. They accomplished this through hands-on training in management and production. For much of its history, JA used one program to teach business to high school students. Beginning in the 1970s, JA started to expand its programs to include Kindergarten, Middle School, and college students. Over the last 20 years, the programs of JA have changed immensely. While the face of JA has changed, the mission of teaching youth about business remains at the core of Junior Achievement. Today, JA continues to be one of the most influential business education organizations worldwide
 

96. Public Welfare Foundation Records, 1917-2007 408 cubic feet (403 cartons, 4 flat boxes, 1 cassette box)

Online
Public Welfare Foundation (Washington, D.C.)
In 1947 Charles Edward Marsh founded the Public Welfare Foundation to render direct financial assistance to the needy. His purpose, to offer the greatest good to the greatest number of people, symbolized the efforts of the foundation he created. His method of distributing money, called the agent system, dispersed financial assistance to provide for the immediate needs of individuals. As tax laws required more detailed reporting, the foundation began to phase out the agent system and created a more formal method of receiving proposals from organizations worldwide. With a commitment to supporting organizations that help people overcome barriers to full participation in society, the foundation had distributed more than $400 million in grants by 2007. Its purpose continues in the spirit of Charles Marsh to focus on "ensuring the fundamental rights and opportunities for people in need."
 
Diamant, Alfred, 1917-2012
The Diamant, Alfred mss., 1917-2012, consists of the personal correspondence, emails, school records, military papers, birth and marriage certificates, and family trees of Alfred Diamant. It also includes various drafts and pre-publication copies of his and his wife's co-authored memoir Worlds Apart, Worlds United: A European-American Story.
 
Online
Indiana University, Bloomington. Department of Military Sciences
Although military training has a long history at Indiana University, the Department of Military Science and Tactics was established in 1917. The Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) fell under the auspices of the department and was a compulsory program for all male students at IU until 1964. The Department of Military Science (Reserve Officers Training Corps) records span the years 1918-2000. These records are organized into seven series: Correspondence, Historical information, ROTC organizations, Publications, Subject files, Realia, and Photos and scrapbooks. The bulk of the collection consists of the Organizations and Subject files series. All series except Correspondence are arranged alphabetically.
 

100. The Gerald Currens Collection, 1918-2002 4 cubic feet; (4 records cartons)

Currens, Gerald Elwin, 1928-
Gerald Currens' experience with Liberia began in 1951 as a Lutheran missionary. In 1968 he began his graduate studies in anthropology at the University of Oregon, which had a strong program focused on Liberia. In December 1971, Currens began his abroad research in Liberia for his PhD dissertation study on upland rice cultivation and other features of subsistence based economies in rural Liberia. His main area of study was Lawalazu which is a Loma speaking town several miles from Voinjama, the capital for Lofa County. The collection consists of his field notes, data, questionnaires, personal research documents, personal and nonpersonal published and unpublished papers, copies of "The Loma Weekly," and a great variety of small educational readers produced by the Loma Literacy Center.