Search

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level File Remove constraint Level: File Year Unknown Remove constraint Year: Unknown

Search Results

Phil Moore Collection, Series 17.7. Music manuscripts, approximately 1940s-1987

71 Boxes Collection ID: COL 6 (VAD8333)
Music manuscripts composed and arranged by Phil Moore including scores and parts for full orchestra, small ensembles, vocalist with keyboard accompaniment, lead sheets, and initial sketches. Moore composed in a wide range of genres, but works in various jazz styles popular during the early 1940s through the 1960s are particularly well represented. His musical manuscripts include arrangements for night club acts, musicals, and studio recordings; soundtrack material for films, television productions, cartoons, and commercials; and various forms of Western art music. When known, the name of the artist a specific arrangement was made for has been provided.

Allen mss., 800-1972

150 Items Collection ID: LMC 2454
The Allen mss., 800-1972, consists of manuscript pieces collected by William Edward David Allen, 1901-1973, foreign service officer, businessman, and author, and his own writings about Georgian history.

Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies records, 1965-2000 and undated

5.8 cubic feet Collection ID: C715
The Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies (RCLSS) was initially founded by Herman B Wells in 1955 as the Research Center for Anthropology, Folklore, and Linguistics; it was renamed the Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies in 1975. RCLSS evolved and grew rapidly under the direction of Thomas A. Sebeok, who served as Chairperson from 1956 through his retirement in 1991. The Center's primary functions included research, publishing, teaching, and the advancement of institutional connections in the interdisciplinary field of semiotics. This collection contains administrative records, student files, undergraduate and graduate curriculum development materials, committee reports and records, course files, and issues of the RCLSS in-house periodical Language Sciences.

Lamb, H. mss., 1917-1919

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2564
The Lamb, H. mss., 1917-1919, consist primarily of letters, diaries, and photographs by and relating to Harley Lamb, 1895-1972, while serving in the American Expeditionary Force during World War I.

Maugham mss., 1904-1973

1696 Items (2 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 1724 (VAD6730) (VAD6730)
The Maugham mss., 1904-1973, consist of the contracts and correspondence about those contracts for works by William Somerset Maugham, 1874-1965, English novelist and playwright.

Winston mss., 1998-2008

30 Items (2 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 2656 (VAD7199) (VAD7199)
The Winston mss., ca. 1998 - 2011, consist of drafts of German literature translations by Krishna Winston, a professor in the German Studies Department at Wesleyan University.

James, C. L. R. mss., ca. 1942-1974

78 Items Collection ID: LMC 1552 (VAD8296) (VAD8296)
The James, C.L.R. mss., ca. 1942-1974, consist of correspondence and writings of West Indian writer and political activist Cyril Lionel Robert James, 1901-1989.

Krueger mss., 1988-1993

5 Boxes (5 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2262 (VAD8303) (VAD8303)
The Krueger mss., 1988-1993, consist of translations from English into German of literary works by British authors Julian Barnes and William Boyd. The translator is Gertraude Krueger of Berlin and the translations were published by Haffmans Verlag in Zurich in the case of Barnes and by Rowohlt Verlag in Hamburg for Boyd.

Lockhart, R. mss., 1906-1969

3500 Items Collection ID: LMC 1674 (VAD8307) (VAD8307)
The Lockhart, R. mss., 1906-1969, consist of the correspondence, writings and memorabilia of Sir Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart, 1887-1970, diplomat and writer.

McWhirter, Mrs. FT mss., 1840-1979

2315 Items (7 boxes; 2 oversize folios) Collection ID: LMC 2183
The McWhirter, Mrs. F.T. mss., 1840-1979, are papers of Luella Frances (Smith) McWhirter (Mrs. Felix Tony McWhirter), 1859-1952, clubwoman.

Graves mss., 1914-1994

225 Items Collection ID: LMC 2220 (VAD8291) (VAD8291)
The Graves mss., 1914-1994, consist of correspondence and research materials collected by Richard Perceval Graves, 1945- , in preparation for writing his biography of Welsh author, Richard Arthur Warren Hughes, 1900-1976.

Binkley, Raglind mss., 1450-1842

3 Items Collection ID: LMC 2873 (VAE0927) (VAE0927)
The Binkley, Raglind mss., ca. 1450-1842, consist of medieval fragments collected by Thomas and Raglind Binkley.

Joris, Pierre mss., 1960-2010

30000 Items (15 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 2808 (VAD7271) (VAD7271)
The Joris, Pierre mss., ca. 1960-2010, consist of the papers of the noted poet, translator and essayist, Pierre Joris, 1946-.

Bicknell, E. mss., 1897-1963

99 Items Collection ID: LMC 1085 (VAD8230) (VAD8230)
The Bicknell, E. mss, 1897-1963, consist primarily of family letters, papers, and photographs of Ernest Percy Bicknell, 1862-1935, vice-chairman of the American Red Cross.

Leiber, F. mss. II, ca. 1932-1970

1 folio (oversize) Collection ID: LMC 2164 (VAD8306) (VAD8306)
The Leiber, F. mss. II, ca. 1932-1970, consist of correspondence, writings, drawings, and photographs of science fiction writer Fritz Leiber, 1910-1992.

Landers mss., ca. 1990-2007

4 Boxes (4 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2263 (VAD8305) (VAD8305)
The Landers mss., ca. 1990s-2008, consist of the manuscripts and papers of Clifford E. Landers, Professor Emeritus of Political Science.

Vincent McGee Papers, 1960-2010

39 cubic feet (39 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS102

Jay mss., 1864-2005

5 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2976
The Jay mss., 1864-2005, consist of approximately 325 spirit photographs and related correspondence and printed materials collected by magician Ricky Jay, 1946-2018.

Mamet mss., 1947-2005

3 Boxes Collection ID: KS
Mamet mss., 1947-2005, consists of the correspondence, typescript drafts, and personal items of screenwriter, director, and playwright David Mamet.

Jay mss. II, 1940-2018

73 linear feet Collection ID: LMC 2991
The Jay mss. II, 1940s-2018, consist of the correspondence, research files, and manuscripts of magician Ricky Jay (1946-2018).

Black Radio : Telling It Like It Was, circa 1920s-1997, bulk 1991-1995

10 document cases (4 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 39
Production materials documenting Smithsonian's thirteen-part program on the role of radio in transforming the African American community in the twentieth century. The program was produced in 1996 by Jacquie Gales Webb for Smithsonian Productions, with assistance from the AAAMC. The collection contains over 400 hours of interviews and historical aircheck tapes in addition to articles, research files, program scripts, and transcripts. The audio interviews feature conversations with over 150 well-known disc jockeys, radio professionals, record company executives, journalists, and scholars. The historical airchecks include station identifications and jingles, radio interviews with prominent Black figures, coverage of historical events, and programs highlighting or influenced by the contributions of Black performers, disc jockeys, and other important persons in radio.

Heather Augustyn Collection, 1944-2018, bulk 1997-2018

3 document cases (1.26 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 172
The collection consists primarily of interviews regarding ska music and musicians conducted by Heather Augustyn. Also included in the collection are interview summaries, research files and ephemera, published books and recordings, and photographic prints and slides.

Carl Tancredi Collection, 1950-2011

3 document cases (1.71 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 140
Periodicals covering popular and rhythm & blues musicians and recordings, but primarily collected for their articles focusing on vocal harmony groups and quartettes of the 1950s-1960s. Also included are articles by Tancredi and airchecks from his internet radio program, "Work With Me Annie."

Mickey Tucker Collection, 1948-2021

6 document cases (6.3 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 174
Papers, photographs, music manuscripts of original jazz and classical compositions, sound recordings and videos documenting the career of jazz pianist Mickey Tucker.

Undine Smith Moore Collection of Original Music and Manuscripts by Black Composers, 1940-2022

5 document cases (4 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 1
Manuscript and printed scores, photographs, biographical material, and recordings by Black composers active from 1950 to present.

Calloway Collection, 1966-2014

10 document cases (5.11 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 169
This collection documents the careers of the Calloway family including brothers Reggie, Vincent, and Gregory and their mother Gloria Calloway Larson, who variously formed and/or managed the groups Sunchild, Midnight Star, Calloway and Sharp. Included are personal papers, correspondence, business and financial records, tour itineraries, publicity materials, press clippings, programs, photographs, and time-based media in both published and unpublished audio and video formats.

Richard E. Norman and Race Filmmaking Collection, 1912-1997

26 Boxes Collection ID: COL 16
Consists of distribution records, correspondence, film publicity, posters, photographs, censorship materials, and fiscal statements of film producer and distributor Richard Edward Norman.

Mary Perry Smith Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame Archives collection, Series 5. Sidney Poitier Fellowship Competition, 1985-1993, bulk 1992-1993

2 Boxes Collection ID: COL 5
This series contains papers, application packets, and audiovisual materials related to the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame's 1993 Sidney Poitier Fellowship competition. Applications to the program include written film proposals, scripts, sample works on videocassette, and other materials submitted by film and video makers competing for fellowship awards.

Hatch-Billops Collection, 1937-1995

3 Boxes Collection ID: COL 22
Papers and related material documenting the careers of Camille Billops and James Hatch.

In Touch with the Spirit Collection, 1989-1994

3 Boxes Collection ID: Special Collection ITS
Papers and related material documenting the In Touch with the Spirit conference, held on July 9-12, 1992 in Indianapolis, IN.

Kiwanis International Records, 1914-2015

153 cubic feet (197 boxes, 343 video cassettes) Collection ID: MSS078
Kiwanis International, briefly called the Supreme Lodge Benevolent Order Brothers, was officially chartered in 1915 as a club for businessmen that also had social and commercial benefits. That original intent evolved quickly into a club for businessmen who wanted to improve their communities, hence the 1920 motto "we build." Today, Kiwanis International is a global organization, with numerous projects dedicated primarily to their current motto of "serving the children of the world." Through community-based, volunteer efforts, Kiwanians work toward improving the lives of children worldwide through projects such as The Worldwide Service Project for Iodine Deficiency Disorder, Young Children: Priority One, and their current global campaign, The Eliminate Project: Kiwanis eliminating maternal/neonatal tetanus. Kiwanis International membership includes clubs for ages six through adults, with approximately 600,000 total active members. This collection contains minutes, correspondence, newsletters, supply catalogs, publications, scrapbooks, photographs, negatives, slides, and audio/visual materials.

Social Health Association of Central Indiana Records, 1919-2014

20.4 cubic feet (20 cartons, 1 document case, 27 reel-to-reel tapes, and 2 VHS) Collection ID: MSS050
The Social Health Association of Central Indiana began as the Anti-Syphilis League of Indiana in 1938. Its purpose was to eradicate venereal diseases, particularly syphilis and gonorrhea, and the conditions which contributed to its proliferation. In 1939, the name was changed to the Indiana Social Hygiene Association. In 1943, their mission included the eradication of venereal diseases; the battle against prostitution and sexual delinquency; the promotion of sex education and appropriate sexual behavior; and the support of family and marriage relations. As the organization's focus evolved, it underwent a name change to the Social Health Association of Indianapolis and Marion County, and in the 1960s, became more involved in sex education, developing materials for elementary and secondary schools and education professionals. In 1976, the name changed to the Social Health Association of Central Indiana as it began to develop programs for areas outside of Marion County. In the 1980s, the organization added AIDS education to its curriculum and in the 1990s it added "Life Skills" education. The agency changed its name to Social Health Association of Indiana in 2000; in the 2000s its focus shifted to puberty education, internet safety, and bullying prevention. In 2018, it became LifeSmart Youth, Inc. and focused on health and behavior education. The collection consists of board of directors and committee minutes, administrative records, publications, program materials, sex education plans, teaching materials, and audio materials including class instruction, advertisements and radio broadcasts.

Robert E. Nelson Papers, 1950-2008

18 cubic feet (18 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS093
Robert Eddinger Nelson, a pioneer in the field of higher education fund raising and development, was born in Rochester, Indiana on March 2, 1928. In 1969 he founded Robert E. Nelson Associates, Inc. as a consulting firm to advise colleges and universities in development and fund raising. He remained active in the field as a consultant, a speaker, a board member, and as a member of several university development associations until his retirement. Robert Nelson died in 2012. The Robert E. Nelson Papers consist mainly of Robert Nelson's correspondence and speech files. The collection also includes administrative files from Robert E. Nelson Associates and correspondence and administrative files from the Pith Helmet Society and the Have A Heart Foundation.

Wheeler Mission Ministries Records, 1904-1992

23.0 cubic feet (19 cartons, 2 document boxes, 439 photographs, 48 cassette tapes, 2 films, and 2 filmstrips) Collection ID: MSS016
Wheeler Mission Ministries is a charitable organization serving the material and spiritual needs of poor individuals and families in Indianapolis, Indiana through Christian evangelism and conversion. Begun in 1893 as a home for unwed mothers by the Meridian Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, it was expanded by William Vincent Wheeler later that year to include a Rescue Mission. Coupling its charitable work with programs to develop a sense of self-sufficiency among the poor, Wheeler Mission was among the city's first charitable operations of its kind and continues to serve the needy of Indianapolis. The records, 1904-1992, consist of the administrative files which contain the correspondence and subject files of superintendents Herbert E. Eberhardt and Leonard C. Hunt, financial files, documentation of Wheeler Mission Associated Groups, printed materials, some research materials from the Door of Hope publication, photographs and audio/visual materials.

National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy Records, 1976-2012

6 cubic feet (6 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS096
The National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy is a progressive organization formed in 1976 to monitor private philanthropy in the United States. The records consist of board and committee records, meeting minutes and agendas, correspondence, subject files, reports and publications, and photographs.

National Network of Grantmakers (NNG) Records, 1982-2006

5.4 cubic feet (5 record cartons and 1 document case) Collection ID: MSS064
The National Network of Grantmakers (NNG) is an organization formed in 1980 to bring together individuals committed to the idea that a "fully functioning democracy depends upon involved and empowered citizens who share both the responsibilities and benefits of society." It was a progressive-minded organization committed to social, economic, and environmental justice. Records include board and committee records, program files, correspondence, financial records, and publications.

Maurice G. Gurin Papers, 1945-1990

1.8 cubic feet (1 record carton and 2 document cases) Collection ID: MSS034
Maurice Gilbert Gurin (1911-1990), was nearly 50 years old in 1959 when he made the career change from public relations to fund raising. Gurin incorporated new and innovative fund raising methods with more traditional techniques and in only 12 years rose from free-lancer fund raising to president of a fund raising firm with offices in New York, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. He continued over the next 30 years to seek creative new answers to old questions, using imaginative new approaches to fund raising focused on individual client needs and making the fund raising plan fit the client rather than the client fit the fund raising plan. The papers consist of correspondence, speeches, published materials, client feasibility studies, and client files.

Oscar McCulloch Papers, 1888-1976

.2 cubic feet (1 half-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS043
Oscar McCulloch was a minister, leader, and an advocate of community betterment through charity and social betterment. Born in Ohio in 1843, McCulloch attended seminary and later settled in Indianapolis as minister at the Plymouth Church on Monument Circle. McCulloch's work with the Charity Organization Society and on the Tribe of Ishmael continued until his death in 1891. The collection contains articles written by and about McCulloch, information about Plymouth Church when McCulloch served as minister, and obituaries.

Beldon Fund Records, 1954-2015

102 cubic feet (101 cartons, 1 document case, 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS085
The Beldon Fund was created in 1978 by environmental philanthropist John R. Hunting as a national foundation focused on advocating for environmental policy. From 1982 to 1998, the Beldon Fund provided grants to organizations like American Environment Inc., the Clean Water Fund, the Ohio Environmental Council, and the Idaho Conservation League. In 1998, John Hunting sold his stock in Steelcase Inc. and endowed Beldon with $100 million, prompting him to rethink the direction of the foundation. Hunting believed that increasing global warming and environmental destruction required immediate attention, and so he planned a ten-year spend-out of the Beldon Fund. Initially, Beldon made grants in five program areas, but in 2001, feedback indicated their scope was too broad for their spend-out timeframe. Beldon refocused into two program areas—the Key States program and the Human Health and the Environment program. The Beldon Fund made its last grants in June 2008 and closed its doors in 2009, after the completion of the spend-out. Over the last ten years of the fund, Beldon spent $120 million in grants and projects. The Beldon Fund Records consist of grant proposals, grant reports, notification of grants, board minutes, executive director records, financial and administrative records, and correspondence.

Leslie Lenkowsky Papers, 1982-2004

18.0 cubic feet (18 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS022
Leslie Lenkowsky is the former CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and professor emeritus of the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU Bloomington and of the Lilly School of Philanthropy at IUPUI. Lenkowsky taught on topics including nonprofit organizations, philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, civil society, and public policy. He has written articles for national publications like The Wall Street Journal and has spoken worldwide about philanthropy. The Leslie Lenkowsky Papers consist of Lenkowsky's records from his involvement with the Corporation for National and Community Service, both before and during his time as CEO. It includes board meeting minutes, reports on CNCS and its programs, congressional and legislative records, correspondence, articles, and programs records.

Quixote Foundation Records, 1997-2018

12 cubic feet (10 record cartons, 1 oversized box, 1 oversized folder in a drawer, 4 tubes/spools of oversized papers) Collection ID: MSS117
The Quixote Foundation was established by Arthur Stuart Hanisch as a family foundation in 1997, and after his death in 2002 the organization adopted a limited-life strategy that resulted in full expenditure of all philanthropic funds by 2017. The foundation espoused a progressive world view, with a majority of grantees working for media reform, election integrity, reproductive rights, environmental equity, and social equality. The records consist predominantly of grant files, with other materials including board meeting minutes, Forms 990-PF, publications, and other materials created by or for the organization.

Indiana AIDS Fund Records, 1986-2005

11 cubic feet (11 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS047
The Indiana AIDS Fund (IAF) was founded in 1994 as a private, philanthropic fund-raising and grant-making institution with the goal of supporting HIV/AIDS prevention, education, and services in Indiana. It began as a joint fund-raising and distribution initiative jointly convened by The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis and the Indiana State Department of Health. Their efforts spanned the state geographically, and funding priorities centered on HIV prevention programs, harm reduction programs and advocacy, secondary HIV prevention programs (i.e., slowing disease progress), and at-risk populations including youth, injection drug users, and adults belonging to a range of gender, race, and ethnic groups.

John H. Boner Community Center Records, 1950-2018, bulk 1971-2017

21.5 cubic feet (15 cartons, 6 oversized boxes, 1 oversized folder in a drawer) Collection ID: MSS137
The Near Eastside Multi-Service Center (NEMSC) was founded in 1971 as a nonprofit, community-based agency designed to coordinate and provide social services and programs for the diverse population of the near eastside of Indianapolis. In 1994, NEMSC officially changed its name to the John H. Boner Community Center (JHBCC) in order to honor John H. Boner, a long-time active member and director of the organization. Historically, the JHBCC's services have shifted based on funding and community needs, but they largely focus on cooperating with other neighborhood and Indianapolis organizations to provide social services, housing, and community programming to inhabitants of the near eastside community.

Indiana Literacy Foundation Records, 1989-2005

11 cubic feet (10 cartons, 1 oversized box containing 1 photograph album and 2 audio reels) Collection ID: MSS062
The Indiana Literacy Foundation (ILF) was established in February of 1993, in Indianapolis, Indiana and operated for twelve years until it shut down in January of 2005, citing lack of financial sustainability. The organization, consisting primarily of its board members, worked to provide funds for voluntary literacy programs throughout the state of Indiana while simultaneously operating programs designed to increase awareness of adult literacy concerns and directly provide training for literacy tutors.

Alan Rabinowitz Bibliography and Philanthropy Publications, 1961-2008

.8 cubic feet (2 letter-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS141

Bruner Foundation Records, 1980-1995

22.8 cubic feet (22 cartons, 2 document boxes) Collection ID: MSS018
The Bruner Foundation was founded in 1963 using funds donated by Rudy and Martha Bruner. The foundation began with the purpose of aiding programs in health care and preventive medicine, and programs focused on Jewish concerns. Since the 1980s, the Bruner Foundation has broadened its purpose to include educational programs, evaluation of grant programs, and urban renovation. Today, the main activity of the foundation is the Rudy Bruner Award for Excellence in the Urban Environment, given every two years. The records consist mainly of the Bruner Foundation's activities since 1965. These documents include board minutes, grant records, educational programs, correspondence, conference proceedings, and the records of the Rudy Bruner Award for Excellence in the Urban Environment.

George A. Brakeley, Jr. Papers, 1928-1995

31.4 cubic feet (30 cartons, 1 document box, and 1 oversized box) Collection ID: MSS013
George A. Brakeley, Jr., has been involved in the business of providing counsel to fund raising entities since 1934. In that year, he joined the firm for which his father was Senior Vice-President, the John Price Jones Company, Inc. (JPJ). Brakeley and JPJ developed "Survey, Analysis and Plan" reports for groups seeking to begin a fund raising campaign. In the 1940's, Brakeley began developing a campaign for a Canadian client, McGill University, which led to the creation of John Price Jones Company (Canada), Ltd., headed by Brakeley. A few years later, in the mid-1950's, he started a firm, G. A. Brakeley Company (GABCO). This company was extremely successful, and by the late 1960's had offices on both U.S. coasts and in Canada. Brakeley continued his association with JPJ during this period, however, as well as developing smaller ventures such as Brakeley and Roberts Ltd. (a public relations firm in Canada), and the Robert Johnston Company (headed by an associate of Brakeley). In 1972, GABCO and JPJ officially merged to become Brakeley, John Price Jones, Inc. (BJPJ), with Brakeley as Chairman of the Board. In 1983, George A. Brakeley III and other senior officers of BJPJ bought the controlling interest of the company, although Brakeley Jr. stayed on as Chairman until 1986. A year later he was named Senior Consultant, a title he still holds. The Brakeley papers consist of client files of seven companies associated with Brakeley, staff training materials, publications and marketing materials, manuscripts, study reports, magazine and journal articles, speech transcriptions, and staff memoranda.

Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis Records, 1895-2002

7.5 cubic feet (7 cartons and 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS037
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis is a social service organization focusing on youth in Indianapolis. The organization started in 1893 as the Newsboy's Home. Founders of the home were Thomas C. Day; Caleb S. Denny, three term mayor of Indianapolis; Carrie Lowe Denny, his wife; and M.V. McGilliard, a local philanthropist. Today the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis operate ten clubs: five in clubhouse facilities and five clubs based at Indianapolis Public Schools. These clubs are strategically located in the city to serve the most at-risk youth. Programs offered by the organization's professional staff and volunteers include counseling, career development, cultural enrichment, social recreation, citizenship and leadership development, and individual and team sports. The records consist of association and individual club materials and include board of director's minutes, events and activities, fundraising and publicity, annual reports, individual club files, record books, photographs, and videos.

Hugh N. Brown Papers, 1940-1991

10.4 cubic feet (11 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS011
Hugh N. Brown is a freelance fund-raising consultant and retired high school teacher. He spent the majority of his life teaching during the school year and consulting during summer vacation. His consulting work focused in the fields of education, religion, and health. The collection consists of personal and work papers, 1940-1991, documenting a 50-year career as a consultant in the fundraising profession. Included are the fundraising campaign files outlining the development of a program.

Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs Records (Filer Commission), 1964-1980

5.0 cubic feet (5 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS024
The Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was founded in November 1973 through the efforts of John D. Rockefeller, III, House Ways and Means Chairman Wilbur D. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz, and Under Secretary William E. Simon. The Commission was formed to study the role of philanthropic giving in the United States and to make recommendations regarding ways to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the voluntary sector. Composed of religious and labor leaders, former cabinet members, executives of foundations and corporations, federal judges, and representatives of several minority groups, the Commission sought to reach its goal through research and debate. The findings and recommendations of the Commission were published in a final report entitled, Giving in America: Toward a Stronger Voluntary Sector. This collection contains board and advisory records including meeting minutes and correspondence, committee recommendations, and research materials that include surveys, conferences, reports, foundation annual reports, and Senate Finance Hearings.

Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy Records (Peterson Commission), 1949-1970

6.4 cubic feet (6 cartons, 1 pamphlet box, 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS023
The Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy was formed by John D. Rockefeller, III, in 1969, and chaired by Peter Peterson, to objectively investigate foundations and their role in society. The Peterson Commission, as it was known, was designed to be influenced by neither the government nor the foundations they investigated. An objective appraisal of foundation activities was necessary to give the Commission the credibility it needed to influence Congress' decisions on foundation activities. By researching the roles of foundations in society, the members hoped to construct policy recommendations that made foundations more accountable while allowing them to maintain their independence from outside interference. This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, the House of Representatives and Senate Hearings on the Tax Reform Law, and the foundation research collected by the commission that includes annual reports, surveys, articles, and correspondence.

Carol Bernstein Ferry and W. H. Ferry Papers, 1971-1997

22.8 cubic feet (22 cartons,1 document box, and 2 card file boxes) Collection ID: MSS006
Carol Bernstein Ferry and the late W. H. (Ping) Ferry were social change philanthropists who gave away a substantial part of their personal wealth to progressive social change groups, activities, and activists concentrating generally in the areas of war, racism, poverty, and injustice. The Ferrys were also board members of the DJB Foundation, established by Carol's first husband, Daniel J. Bernstein, which focused its giving in similar areas. The papers, 1971-1996, document the individuals, organizations, and activities the Ferrys supported with their donations.

Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Records, 1913-2002

43.0 cubic feet (39 cartons, 4 cassette boxes, 2 flat boxes, 13 video cassettes, and 64 audio cassettes) Collection ID: MSS002
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) is an organization formed by the 1975 merger of the American Alumni Council (AAC) and the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA). Constituents of both groups believed their goal of increasing the professional competence of those individuals involved in all phases of alumni work including, alumni administration, educational fund raising, public relations and publications in order to promote the cause of education could be better achieved as a single entity. The collection contains the records of CASE and its predecessor institutions covering the development of the early organizations and their merger to form the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.

JEHT Foundation Records, 1974-2019, bulk 2002-2008

59 cubic feet (59 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS089
The JEHT Foundation was established in 2000 by its trustees based on the core values behind its proposed mission: "justice, equality, human dignity, and tolerance." Most of their efforts focused on grant making and advocacy in support of community justice, and by 2008, JEHT advertised its primary areas of interest as: 1) criminal justice; 2) juvenile justice; 3) international justice; and 4) fair and participatory elections. The Foundation was forced to cease operations in December of 2008 when Bernie Madoff was arrested for securities fraud, resulting in the loss of most of JEHT's financial assets, invested with Madoff for more than 30 years.

Mailman Foundation Records, 1980-2009

60.5 cubic feet (61 containers - 60 record cartons, 1 oversized box, plus 1 AV (MDPI) box) Collection ID: MSS097
The A.L. Mailman Family Foundation was established in 1980 as a private, successor organization to the Mailman Foundation, which was founded by Abraham and Joseph Mailman in 1943. The foundation, named for Abe Mailman and originally chaired by his daughter, Dr. Marilyn Mailman Segal, provides grant funding for projects and programs concerning early childhood education and development. Initially, the Foundation's early grants supported applied research and model programs, but based on feedback and replication issues, the Foundation began to focus on products and practices intended to inform public policy. In 1993, the Directors of the Foundation decided to proactively address larger societal issues, such as racism, violence, and poverty, in addition to their continued support for early childhood education and family care. The Mailman Foundation Records contain board meeting minutes, symposia memorabilia, annual reports and administrative files, grant files and related publications, records of contributions, and correspondence.

Indiana Campus Compact Records, 1988-2019

12 cubic feet (9 cartons, 1 document box, 1 flat box, 1 oversized box) Collection ID: MSS157
Indiana Campus Compact is a 501(c)(3) non-profit partnership of Indiana's public, private, and community college higher education institutions focused on advocating, implementing, and improving community engagement efforts so that students graduate as well-informed, engaged, and productive members of society who are fully enabled to provide leadership and service that advances the public good in their communities. Indiana Campus Compact is a state affiliate of Campus Compact.

David Reingold Papers, 1991-2009

2.5 cubic feet (2 record cartons, 1 document box) Collection ID: MSS148
David Reingold is the current Justin S. Morrill Dean of Liberal Arts and Professor of Sociology at Purdue University. This collection primarily focuses on his time working with the Corporation for National and Community Service as Director of Research and Policy Development where he was responsible for managing the agencies research and evaluation portfolio, providing consultation to the CEO on policy development, and working with the White House on the President's USA Freedom Corps initiative. This collection includes paper records as well as digital records.

John Gomperts Papers, 1965-1966, 1991-2012, bulk 1994-2001

2 cubic feet (2 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS149
John Gomperts is the current President and CEO of America's Promise Alliance. This collection primarily focuses on his time working with the Corporation for National and Community Service, first as Chief of Staff and later as the Director of AmeriCorps.

Vivian B. Allen Foundation Records, 1946-1972

3.8 cubic feet (3 record cartons and 2 document cases) Collection ID: MSS007
Vivian B. Allen (VBA) Foundation was created in 1938 in New York State by Vivian Beaumont Allen with the stated purpose, "to promote the well-being of mankind in the United States of America and elsewhere in the world, including as a means to that end research, publication, the establishment and maintenance of charitable, benevolent, religious and educational activities, agencies and institutions already established." Upon Mrs. Allen's death in 1962, VBA Foundation began to liquidate itself and was dissolved in 1971. The records consist of correspondence between VBA Foundation and grant applicants, including notification of awards or rejections, and descriptions of projects under consideration for grants; and administrative records and correspondence of the Board of Directors, including Board meeting agenda and minutes, and Memoranda distributed to the Board Members. The collection contains records dating back to 1946.

National Council of Jewish Women Indianapolis Section Records, 1906-1999

3.4 cubic feet (3 record cartons, 1 letter-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS025
The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), established in 1893, is the oldest volunteer Jewish women's organization in the United States. It is "dedicated in the spirit of Judaism to advancing human welfare and the democratic way of life" and focuses on five major areas of philanthropy: Women's Issues, Children and Youth, Israel, Jewish Life and Aging. The Indianapolis Section of NCJW was officially formed in 1903 by women of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation formalizing what had begun in 1896 as a primarily social and religious study group. Advocacy and community service remain the focus of the Indianapolis Section of the National Council of Jewish Women as it begins its second century of service. The records consist of meeting minutes, yearbooks which list membership and projects, financial records, newsletters, news clippings and two short videotapes.

New Farmers of America Records, 1929-1965

1.6 cubic feet (1 record carton, 2 document boxes) Collection ID: MSS059
The New Farmers of America (NFA) began as a national organization for African-American farm youth in 1935 to promote agricultural leadership, character, thrift, scholarship, cooperation, and citizenship. This organization served its members for 30 years providing experience in leadership and education in the agricultural field. Programs and contests designed for the organization awarded youth for achievement within the NFA and their community. In 1965 the NFA merged with the National FFA Organization. At the time of the merger, the NFA consisted of 1,004 chapters in 12 states and over 50,000 members.

William Vincent Wheeler Family Papers, 1863-1993

0.8 cubic feet (2 document boxes) Collection ID: MSS020
William Vincent Wheeler, founder of Wheeler Mission Ministries of Indianapolis, Indiana, was born in 1845 in Ohio and in 1853, his family moved to Indiana. After serving in the Civil War, Wheeler moved to Indianapolis where he was employed by Layman-Carey Hardware Company beginning as a delivery driver and eventually becoming head of the sales department. In 1868, Wheeler experienced a religious conversion and became active in the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church as well as becoming a lay-preacher. In 1893, the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) opened a home for unwed mothers. Wheeler volunteered his help and suggested the range of services offered be broadened to include men, women and children in the form of a rescue mission. He became part-time superintendent of the mission and in 1895, resigned from the hardware company to become a full-time salaried superintendent of the mission, one of the first charitable operations of its kind in Indianapolis. He remained in this position until his death in 1908. The papers consist of correspondence of members of the Wheeler family, family photographs, Wheeler's civil war diary and family history materials.

J. Warren McClure Papers, 1972-1999

1.2 cubic feet (1 record carton and 1 document box) Collection ID: MSS033
James Warren McClure, born in 1919, was a newspaper executive and publisher. In 1971 he sold the Burlington, VT Free Press and the Chambersburg, PA Public Opinion to Gannett Co., Inc., making him Gannett's largest individual stockholder, as well as their first vice president/marketing. McClure retired from Gannett in 1975 and created McClure Media Marketing Motivation Company, and later Ener/Gem Success Systems, Inc. McClure and his wife Lois began making substantial financial donations to major educational, health, and community organization projects in the early 1970s, and have continued to do so to the present. The collection consists primarily of their Donation Files regarding most of their major gifts.

Malcolm Richardson's Philanthropy Conference Records, 1994-2013

.5 cubic feet (1 archival box, 3 VHS tapes) Collection ID: MSS103
Malcolm Richardson's records contain the planning documents and proceedings from the White House Conference on Philanthropy, as well as materials from the President's Council on the Arts and Humanities, the White House Millennium Council, and the 3rd annual Expanding Philanthropy through the Internet conference.

Peter Dobkin Hall Papers, 1970-2014

27.3 cubic feet (27 cubic foot record cartons and one legal-sized document case.) Collection ID: MSS086
Peter Dobkin Hall was a historian of American philanthropy, who held appointments at Wesleyan (1974-1982), Yale (1973-1999), and Harvard (2000 until death), and was Scholar in Residence at the Rockefeller Archive Center in 1989. He was extensively published in philanthropy but it probably best known for his book "'Inventing the Nonprofit Sector' and Other Essays on Philanthropy, Voluntarism, and Nonprofit Organizations."

Women & Philanthropy, 1975-2008

39.4 cubic feet (38 cartons, 2 document boxes, 1 pamphlet box, 5 cassette boxes, and 2 video cassettes) Collection ID: MSS066
Women & Philanthropy incorporated in 1977 with the purpose of elevating the status of women as decision makers in philanthropy and increasing the amount of funding for women and girls' programs. The organization's research-based advocacy served as the foundation for its agenda. Providing evidence that women were under-represented in a variety of key areas in the field of philanthropy, Women & Philanthropy developed ways to combat the problem and while providing a resource for women in the field to become educators and advocates for their gender. In 2007 Women & Philanthropy ceased as a separate organization and became a special project of the Council on Foundations. Materials in this collection cover the whole of the organization's history from its beginning until its incorporation into the Council on Foundations and provide an excellent resource for understanding the role of women as leaders in the foundation world.

Cheswick Center Records, 1971-2009

1 cubic feet (1 record carton) Collection ID: MSS095

Henry A. Rosso Papers, 1956-1998

1.4 cubic feet (1 record carton, 1 document case) Collection ID: MSS099

World Fundraising Council Records, 1990-1998

1 cubic feet (1 record carton and one oversized folder) Collection ID: MSS098

Pan American Games X - Indianapolis (PAX-I) Records, 1951-2001, bulk 1985-1987

90 cubic feet (85 record cartons, 1 document case, 2 oversized boxes, and 1 oversized folder in a drawer) Collection ID: MSS081
The 1987 Pan American Games were held in Indianapolis between August 7 and August 23, involving 38 countries and 31 different sports. It was planned and hosted by an offshoot of the Indiana Sports Corporation, PAX/Indianapolis (PAX-I). While preparing for the upcoming games, PAX-I researched how previous organizations had handled similar events. They arranged for corporate licensing and in-kind donations and worked with Disney to design the opening and closing ceremonies. PAX-I security staff cooperated with the Indianapolis Police Department and the U.S. Department of Defense to provide security for residents and visitors. The Language and Meeting Services Division organized bilingual interpreters and translation services, and the Games and Venues Division determined sites and schedules for sporting events and practices. Human Resources coordinated a large team of volunteers, and the Communications Division arranged publicity, speeches, tours, and the "look" of the games. Support staff established an athlete's village at Fort Benjamin Harrison with the permission of the U. S. Army and handled the many logistical details necessary for the influx of athletes, dignitaries, and spectators for the 1987 games. Some political problems accompanied the games because of tensions between the United States and Communist Cuba.

America's Promise Alliance Records, 1992-2019

40 cubic feet (37 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes) Collection ID: MSS164
America's Promise - The Alliance for Youth was founded at the Presidents' Summit for America's Future in 1997. The Five Promises to children are at the core of America's Promise and are as follows: Caring Adults; Safe Places; a Healthy Start; Marketable Skills; and Opportunities to Serve.

Shirley Sagawa Papers, 1978-2016

6 cubic feet (6 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS150
The Shirley Sagawa Papers contain a record of the development of the National and Community Service Act of 1990, the Commission on National and Community Service, and the early years of the Corporation for National and Commmunity Service.

David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection, 1830-1868

1.6 Cubic Feet (4 legal-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS183
The David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection contains mostly tract publications from the American Tract Society, the American Sunday School Union, the American Bible Society, and similar nonprofit organizations during the American Civil War. The tracts were used to promote moral and spiritual uplift for soldiers and sailors and to inspire patriotism.

Volunteer Center at RSVP Fort Wayne Records, 1973-2004

0.8 cubic feet (2 letter-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS167
Volunteer Center at the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Fort Wayne - Allen County was the first RSVP group in Indiana and started on August 1st, 1972. It began with the Older Americans Act and was funded by the federal volunteer agency, Agency for Volunteer Service (ACTION). The group committed to provide individuals with opportunities for meaningful volunteer experiences that benefit the community. Their program included not only volunteer works such as helping school children, rolling bandages for the hospital burn units and having community events, but also educationals opportunities like a presentation by the Police Department about identification theft and social activities like field trips and picnics.

Indiana Senior Corps Directors Association Records, 1994-2009

0.4 cubic feet (1 letter-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS168
Indiana Senior Corps Directors Association (ISCDA) was organized to unite all Senior Corps Directors into a state-wide organization. This association combines the three programs, Foster Grandparent Program (FGP), Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), and Senior Companion Program (SCP). The by-laws, New Director Handbook, RSVP Director's Manual for New RSVP Directors of Indiana, Words of Wisdom for RSVP Directors, two photographs of RSVP volunteer conference, and RSVP pins are included.

Junior Achievement Records, 1916-2016

230 cubic feet (222 cartons, 6 document boxes, 4 flat boxes, and 1 roll), 27 videotapes, 15 filmstrips, 38 cassette tapes) Collection ID: MSS048
Junior Achievement, Inc. (JA) was founded in 1919 as the Boys' and Girls' Bureau of the Eastern States League. Embracing the concept of "learning by doing," the leaders of the Bureau dedicated themselves to teaching urban youth proper business practice and methods. They accomplished this through hands-on training in management and production. For much of its history, JA used one program to teach business to high school students. Beginning in the 1970s, JA started to expand its programs to include Kindergarten, Middle School, and college students. Over the last 20 years, the programs of JA have changed immensely. While the face of JA has changed, the mission of teaching youth about business remains at the core of Junior Achievement. Today, JA continues to be one of the most influential business education organizations worldwide

National FFA Organization Records, 1916-2008

145.2 cubic feet (104 cartons, 20 flat boxes, 5 cassette boxes, 3 document boxes, 166 videotapes, 58 films) Collection ID: MSS035
The National FFA Organization, originally called the Future Farmers of America, was founded in 1928 as a national organization for boys in rural, farming communities. Its original purpose, the education of youth in agricultural fields of study, is still recognized through its current programs. Today, the mission of the National FFA Organization is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education. Through educational programs the FFA teaches students how to become active in their communities and successful in their occupation. FFA membership includes junior high, high school, and college students and totals approximately 450,000. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, newsletters, publications, reports, audio cassettes, video cassettes, and photographs.

Waldemar Nielsen Papers, 1930-2004

14.4 cubic feet (13 cartons, 1 oversized box, 7 audio cassettes, and 21 3.5" disks) Collection ID: MSS090
Waldemar A. Nielsen (1917-2005) was widely recognized for his expertise in and analysis of charitable foundations. Nielsen worked in government and the nonprofit sector before establishing a consulting agency, Waldemar A. Nielsen, Incorporated, which focused on corporate social policy. Nielsen is best known for his writing on the biggest foundations within the American philanthropic world. Through publications like The Big Foundations (1972) and The Golden Donors (1985), Nielsen examined the foundations' methods and their effectiveness. The Waldemar A. Nielsen Papers consists of Nielsen's research, notes, and drafts for the books and articles published over the course of his career. The collection also contains correspondence, reports, and publications from Nielsen's time working for the government, the Ford Foundation, the African-American Institute, and from his years as a consultant.

Earl and Carla Harris Papers, 1974-2000

.4 cubic feet (1 letter-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS123

Public Welfare Foundation Records, 1917-2007

408 cubic feet (403 cartons, 4 flat boxes, 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS063
In 1947 Charles Edward Marsh founded the Public Welfare Foundation to render direct financial assistance to the needy. His purpose, to offer the greatest good to the greatest number of people, symbolized the efforts of the foundation he created. His method of distributing money, called the agent system, dispersed financial assistance to provide for the immediate needs of individuals. As tax laws required more detailed reporting, the foundation began to phase out the agent system and created a more formal method of receiving proposals from organizations worldwide. With a commitment to supporting organizations that help people overcome barriers to full participation in society, the foundation had distributed more than $400 million in grants by 2007. Its purpose continues in the spirit of Charles Marsh to focus on "ensuring the fundamental rights and opportunities for people in need."

Ars Femina Archive, 1500-1800

75 Items (3 boxes) Collection ID: AF2019
Collection of musical scores and microfilm reels, of women composers between 1500 and 1800. Condition of the materials is good.

Logan H. Westbrooks Collection, 1936-2016

40 document cases (28.7 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 156
The collection of music industry professional Logan H. Westbrooks contains professional and personal papers, photographs, sound recordings, video recordings, digital files, posters, books, memorabilia, artifacts and other material documenting his life and work from the 1930s through the 2010s. Professional papers pertain to his employment at Capitol Records, Mercury Records, CBS Records, CBS International, Soul Train Records, Source Records, and his management firm Ascent Music Inc. Personal papers pertain to his upbringing in Memphis, TN, the Church of God in Christ, lectures at California State University and Indiana University, philanthropic activities, and civic service. Topics include African American music industry executives; record labels; recording industry in United States, Africa, and Jamaica; African American musicians; black churches; rhythm and blues, soul, jazz, and funk music; radio and African American disc jockeys.

Laura Boulton Collection, 1916-1992

170 Boxes Collection ID: ATM Manuscript Collection 1.(MC 1)
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, and other written materials related to Laura Boulton's career. The majority of the papers are from the 1920s-1970s. This collection also includes newspaper clippings and other ephemera, as well as descriptive notes for field recordings and photographs made by Boulton.

Gertrude Rivers Robinson Collection, 1938-2012

17 document cases Collection ID: SC 20
The papers of Gertrude Rivers Robinson contain music manuscripts and sketches, correspondence, press clippings, class notes and coursework, lecture materials, audio recordings, photographs, slides, films and videos documenting her life and career as a composer, ethnomusicologist and pedagogue, including her research on the Balinese gamelan tradition.

St. Clair Bourne Collection, 1965-2002

2 Boxes Collection ID: COL 26
Contains the creative printed works of, and clippings and articles pertaining to, St. Clair Bourne and his works.

Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc. Records, 1920-2016

161.5 cubic feet (135 cartons, 8 document boxes, 4 flat boxes, 3 microform boxes, 938 audio tapes, approx. 313 video tapes, 265 optical discs, 254 floppy disks, 77 zip disks, 3 flash drives, 3 artifacts) Collection ID: MSS051
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. The International Center for Nursing Scholarship, located on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the headquarters of STTI.

Organization of American Historians Records, 1906-2019

227 cubic feet (187 cartons, 34 document boxes, 13 flat boxes, 73 optical discs, 70 floppy disks, 36 rolls of microfilm, 15 audio cassettes, 2 videotapes) Collection ID: MSS027
The Organization of American Historians (OAH) was founded in 1907 under the name the Mississippi Valley Historical Association (MVHA). The founders created a historical organization that encouraged research and study of the area that made up the Mississippi Valley. In 1913 it began to sponsor a scholarly journal, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review. The organization eventually outgrew its brand name as a regional association by gaining members throughout the country. The organization officially changed its name to the Organization of American Historians in 1965. Today, the OAH is a national organization with a worldwide membership promoting American history research.

Trudy W. Banta Papers, 1970-2016

13 cubic feet (13 Cartons) Collection ID: MSS126
Trudy Banta is an educator and administrator in the field of higher education outcomes assessment. She retired from her position as Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs and the Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Academic Planning and Evaluation at IUPUI in 2016. Banta spent her career as a leader in higher education assessment, authoring numerous books and journal articles, consulting at campuses all over the country, and developing and coordinating 45 national and international conferences. The Trudy W. Banta Papers consists mainly of Banta's records from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and IUPUI. It includes reports, conference papers, and articles that Banta authored or co-authored; workbooks, brochures, and notes from conferences she attended or at which she presented; and records of her consulting work at campuses around the country.

American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016

10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS038
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Athenaeum Foundation Records, 1894-2011

8.6 cubic feet (8 cartons, 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS076
The Athenaeum Foundation was organized in 1991 and incorporated as a not-for-profit foundation operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The foundation's purposes was to acquire title to the Athenaeum, located at 401 East Michigan Street in Indianapolis; to raise funds for and supervise and direct the rehabilitation of building to maintain its architectural and aesthetic integrity as a historic structure; to educate the public about the history and significance of the Athenaeum; to foster the use of the building by the foundation itself, the building's tenants, and other organizations; and to oversee the management of the building.

Oscar F. Frenzel Collection, 1876-1904

14.4 cubic feet (4 boxes, 27 flat boxes) Collection ID: Mss070

Sachs-Bauer Family Letters and Documents, 1826-1903

0.57 cubic feet (2 oversized boxes) Collection ID: MSS120
In 1836 German immigrants Philip and Maria Sachs and their two children settled in Indianapolis. Over the years they received letters from family and friends in Germany and in other areas of the United States. These letters provide information about conditions in Germany and about the experiences of German immigrants in the United States.

Otto Stark Collection, 1887-1970

0.4 cubic feet (1 box) Collection ID: MSS075

Federation of German Societies Records, 1931-1988

0.8 cubic feet (1 box and 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS069