Search

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level File Remove constraint Level: File Year Unknown Remove constraint Year: Unknown
Number of results to display per page

Search Results

Sachs-Bauer Family Letters and Documents, 1826-1903

0.57 cubic feet (2 oversized boxes) Collection ID: MSS120
In 1836 German immigrants Philip and Maria Sachs and their two children settled in Indianapolis. Over the years they received letters from family and friends in Germany and in other areas of the United States. These letters provide information about conditions in Germany and about the experiences of German immigrants in the United States.

Otto Stark Collection, 1887-1970

0.4 cubic feet (1 box) Collection ID: MSS075

Polis (Project On-Line Indianapolis Study) Center Records, 1991-2001

50.2 cubic feet (49 record cartons, 3 document cases) Collection ID: UA023

Richard G. Lugar Senatorial Papers: Awards and Memorabilia Collection, 1948-2016, bulk 1968-2012

est. 300 linear feet (154 record cartons, 10 document cartons, 99 oversized boxes, and 1 oversize framed item) Collection ID: MPP 19.(VAE3071)
Richard G. Lugar (1932-2019) represented Indiana in the United States Senate from 1977 to 2012. Prior to being elected to the Senate, Lugar served two terms as Mayor of Indianapolis, from 1968 to 1976. The Awards and Memorabilia series contains two- and three-dimensional objects presented to or collected by Richard G. Lugar to commemorate his major activities and accomplishments from before, during, and after his tenure as a United States Senator. The collection contains items such as campaign memorabilia, political cartoons and posters, plaques, trophies, items of clothing, pieces of dismantled nuclear weapons, and other materials.

Delta Psi Kappa Records, 1916-1999

36 cubic feet (20 Cartons, 10 Flat Boxes , 2 Newspaper Storage Boxes, 1 Folio Box, and 2 Media Boxes (5 cassettes and 2 diskettes)) Collection ID: MSS155
Delta Psi Kappa was a "professional fraternity for women in the fields of health, physical education, and recreation". Founded in 1916 at the Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union, Delta Psi Kappa would eventually spread to a large number of other colleges and universities with programs in the aforementioned fields. Active into the 1990s, the organization remained focused on health and physical education and participated in numerous activities with other organizations who shared their goals.

Renoir mss., ca. 1913-1968

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2390
Consists primarily of the correspondence and papers of Claude Renoir, 1901-1969, film producer, together with some papers of his better-known filmmaker brother, Jean Renoir, 1894-1979. The correspondence includes letters between the brothers regarding both family and film matters, as well as other business correspondence relating to the various film projects in which Claude and Jean were involved from Nana in 1926 to Opera-Musette in 1942. There are also film scripts and synopses by Claude and by Jean Renoir, financial documents, a film distribution notebook, a notebook of Claude's notes for "Cezanne," and photographs of Claude and Jean Renoir from 1914-1968.

Liberian Government Archives II, 1911-1968

12 cubic feet; (1 document case) Collection ID: LCP2006/003
The collection consists of correspondence, reports, records, minutes, and other miscellaneous manuscript items. These materials are typically either photocopies of items from the Liberian Archives in Monrovia, Liberia, or are typescript copies/notes created by Dr. Holsoe in the course of his research. The collection also includes material from the research notebooks of Dr. Peter Murdza.

Campus Facility Services Records, 1969-2008

17.8 cubic feet (17 record cartons and 2 document cases) Collection ID: UA066

Vincent McGee Papers, 1960-2010

39 cubic feet (39 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS102

Indiana University Vice President for Graduate Development and Dean of the Graduate School records, 1957-1965, bulk 1959-1962

12 cubic feet (12 boxes) Collection ID: C212
Consists of the records of the Vice President for Graduate Development and Dean of the Graduate School organized in six series: Subject files, Committee files, Research, Fellowship files, Conferences, and Correspondence.

Latin American mss. --Mexico II, 1560-1940

7 folios Collection ID: LMC 1621
The Latin American mss. --Mexico II, 1560-1940, consists of individual items acquired separately either as a gift, purchase, transfer, or removal from a variety of sources, complementing the materials in the Latin American mss. Mexico collection. Additions continue to be made.

Bingham, W. mss., 1752-1891

9 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 oversize) Collection ID: LMC 2442
The Bingham, W. mss., 1752-1891, consist of the correspondence, writings, personal and business papers of American statesman William Bingham, 1752-1804.

Allen mss., 800-1972

150 Items Collection ID: LMC 2454
The Allen mss., 800-1972, consists of manuscript pieces collected by William Edward David Allen, 1901-1973, foreign service officer, businessman, and author, and his own writings about Georgian history.

American Turners Records, 1853-2017

33.1 cubic feet (29 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS030
Immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century founded organizations that served as social centers, maintained cultural identity, and promoted the ideals and the interests of the immigrants and their American-born descendants. The American Turners is an example of such an organization. Established by German immigrants in 1850, the American Turners advocated a liberal political philosophy and fought to protect both the political rights and the German heritage of the immigrants. The Turners encouraged the practice of exercise and physical fitness, and they convinced school boards in many cities to make physical education a part of the educational curriculum. The American Turner records include annual reports, minutes and correspondence relating to the national officers, correspondence with local societies, national convention minutes and materials, financial and membership records, national committee records, records and materials from national sporting events sponsored by the American Turners, records of the Turner Pioneers and the Women's Auxiliary, Turner publications, and materials from the German Turner movement and other organizations related to the American Turners.

David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection, 1830-1868

1.6 Cubic Feet (4 legal-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS183
The David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection contains mostly tract publications from the American Tract Society, the American Sunday School Union, the American Bible Society, and similar nonprofit organizations during the American Civil War. The tracts were used to promote moral and spiritual uplift for soldiers and sailors and to inspire patriotism.

Indianapolis Maennerchor Records, 1866-1991

5 cubic feet (5 cartons, 2 document boxes, 3 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS040
The Indianapolis Maennerchor (men's choir) emerged from a circle of young men who were part of a wave of immigration that followed the failed European revolutions of 1848. From its formal organization in June 1854 and first performance in May 1855, the Maennerchor provided a cultural focus for the 48ers that was as important as the Asound mind and body@ activities of the Turners. After the American Civil War the Maennerchor emerged as one of the most significant German organizations in Indianapolis. By 1900 the apparent cohesiveness of the German community began to fragment when the Maennerchor, and their main patron, John P. Frenzel, began to distance themselves from the new Deutches Haus (German House) constructed by the Socialer Turnverein. This split was emphasized by the construction of Maennerchor Hall in 1907. World War I hurt the German community as a whole, and in combination with the death of Frenzel, the Maennerchor began to struggle. The Depression forced the Maennerchor to leave their hall in the early 1930s and become affiliated with the Athenaeum (Deutches Haus). In 1943 the Maennerchor joined with the Knights of Columbus and Murat Shrine to present a mixed chorus performance known as the Triad Concert that helped to revive awareness and interest in the group. The decline of German societies in Indianapolis during the 1960s led to strains which prompted a break with the Athenaeum in 1973. An attempt to return to the Maennerchor Hall failed when the building was razed in 1974. Through the 1990s they have struggled with membership and financial constraints, but performed until 2018, when they performed for the last time, singing the national anthem at Victory Field.

Athenaeum Turners Records, 1876-2005

14.7 cubic feet (10 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS032
The Athenaeum Turner organization was founded in 1851 as the Indianapolis Turngemeinde. This athletic and social organization was patterned on German clubs that had supported the 1848 revolutions that attempted to form Liberal republics in several European kingdoms. The men who established the Indianapolis Turngemeinde and the competing Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnverein (merged in 1852 to form the Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnegemiende) tried to create a community focus for the rapidly expanding immigrant population. The activist political backgrounds of many German immigrants led to a strong emphasis on the Turner idea of developing both a strong mind and strong body in order to better serve society. After the American Civil War, for which many Turners volunteered due to anti-slavery beliefs and a desire to demonstrate loyalty to their adopted nation, the reorganized and renamed Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein became the primary focus for German business and culture in the city. Certainly the German House (das Deutsches Haus), built between 1894 and 1898, was designed to serve as more than just a center for physical training since it contained a restaurant, theaters, and a number of meeting rooms. From the 1890s, the leaders of the Turner organization were also directors or important officers in dozens of prominent businesses and cultural organizations. This led to some overlap in the interaction between public, private, and political affairs in the German community of Indianapolis - and this is reflected in the collection. The outbreak of World War I and the anti-German sentiment which followed led to a renaming of the building (as the Athenaeum) and contributed to a decline in the importance of the Turnverein. The organization, now known as the Athenaeum Turners, experienced a revival during the 1950s and remained active into the 1960s, though its activities gradually became more social and less athletic. By the 1970s American acculturation and suburbanization resulted in a rapid decline in membership and financial stability and the near collapse of the Turner society. It currently exists solely as a German cultural organization. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, board and committee minutes, correspondence, officer and committee reports, financial records, membership lists, event advertisements, brochures, newsletters and photographs.

Oscar F. Frenzel Collection, 1876-1904

14.4 cubic feet (4 boxes, 27 flat boxes) Collection ID: Mss070

Wiggs mss., 1874-1936

32 Items (1 box; 1 folio) Collection ID: LMC 2120
The Wiggs mss., 1874-1936, are the papers of George Washington Wiggs, 1853-1938, grain dealer on the Chicago Board of Trade, member of the Press Club of Chicago, and an Indiana University graduate of 1874.

Oscar McCulloch Papers, 1888-1976

.2 cubic feet (1 half-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS043
Oscar McCulloch was a minister, leader, and an advocate of community betterment through charity and social betterment. Born in Ohio in 1843, McCulloch attended seminary and later settled in Indianapolis as minister at the Plymouth Church on Monument Circle. McCulloch's work with the Charity Organization Society and on the Tribe of Ishmael continued until his death in 1891. The collection contains articles written by and about McCulloch, information about Plymouth Church when McCulloch served as minister, and obituaries.

Athenaeum Damenverein and Women's Auxiliary Records, 1876-2007

4.4 cubic feet (3 cartons, 1 document box, 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS039
This women's organization was founded by the Socialer Turnverein (Social Athletic Club) in 1876 as the Indianapolis Turn-Schwestern Verein. It was initially intended to support the activities of the Turnverein, and especially to promote and oversee the girls' athletic classes, and to help enlarge and preserve the Turner library. Within a few years the Turn Sisters became known as the Damenverein (Women's Club) des Socialer Turnverein and began to undertake broader responsibilities in the community. As with most German societies, membership declined during World War I and use of the German language was dropped. The organization revived with the merging of several societies during the 1930s and becomes known as the Women's Auxiliary. Membership increased again after World War II as their focus drifted away from a wartime role as a service organization and more towards social activities. The gradual decline of the Athenaeum Turners through the 1970s and 1980s also affected the Women's Auxiliary. In the 1990s the Damenverein name was restored to recognize the earlier German connections, and in recent years the very limited activities of the group have become more closely linked with their German-American cultural identity. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, minutes, correspondence, financial records, committee reports, membership lists and directories, event advertisements and photographs.

Indiana University President's Office records, 1893-1902

22.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C174
Joseph Swain was president of Indiana University from 1893-1902. Organized in two series, the collection primarily consists of incoming correspondence during Swain's tenure. Included are several prominent IU professors such as William Lowe Bryan, David Starr Jordan, and Carl H. Eigenmann as well as a number of well-known public figures.

Ars Femina Archive, 1500-1800

75 Items (3 boxes) Collection ID: AF2019
Collection of musical scores and microfilm reels, of women composers between 1500 and 1800. Condition of the materials is good.

School of Science Records, 1966-2016

58 cubic feet (58 record cartons) Collection ID: UA054

Indiana University College of Liberal Arts Dean's records, 1909-1915, bulk 1910-1913

1.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C189
During the early years of its existence, aside from a small Law School, Indiana University consisted solely of a College of Liberal Arts (became College of Arts and Sciences in 1921). Horace Hoffman, professor of Greek, served as the first Dean of the College 1894-1920. Collection consists primarily of incoming correspondence from former and proprospectivepective I.U. students. Most of the correspondence consists of inquiries about entrance to the university, transfers, and requests for transcripts or catalogs. The collection is not complete as it ends with the "M" correspondents.

American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016

10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS038
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Nutrition and Dietetics, Department of, 1920-2000

1.3 cubic feet (1 record carton, 1 flat box ) Collection ID: UA102
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at Indiana University Purdue University- Indianapolis (IUPUI) was founded in 1918. The department offered a graduate-level dietetic internship program where interns worked at Indiana University Medical Center and Riley Hospital for Children.

Department of Occupational Therapy Records, 1927-1976

2.4 cubic feet (3 document cases, 3 flat boxes) Collection ID: UA056

Sigma Theta Tau International, Alpha Chapter Records, 1920s - 2012

5 cubic feet (5 cartons) Collection ID: MSS112
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship, and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. Alpha Chapter, at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the founding chapter of STTI.

Laura Boulton Collection, 1916-1992

170 Boxes Collection ID: ATM Manuscript Collection 1.(MC 1)
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, and other written materials related to Laura Boulton's career. The majority of the papers are from the 1920s-1970s. This collection also includes newspaper clippings and other ephemera, as well as descriptive notes for field recordings and photographs made by Boulton.

Office of the Chancellor Records, 1914-2017

371 cubic feet (371 cartons, 1 document box, 1 flat box) Collection ID: UA041
This collection contains the records of the Office of the Chancellor. The chancellor is the chief executive officer of IUPUI and oversees the development and the operation of the campus. In 1974 the chancellor received the additional title of vice president of Indiana University and in the title was changed to executive vice president of Indiana University. The chancellor is also IUPUI's principal representative to the general community.

National FFA Organization Records, 1916-2008

145.2 cubic feet (104 cartons, 20 flat boxes, 5 cassette boxes, 3 document boxes, 166 videotapes, 58 films) Collection ID: MSS035
The National FFA Organization, originally called the Future Farmers of America, was founded in 1928 as a national organization for boys in rural, farming communities. Its original purpose, the education of youth in agricultural fields of study, is still recognized through its current programs. Today, the mission of the National FFA Organization is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education. Through educational programs the FFA teaches students how to become active in their communities and successful in their occupation. FFA membership includes junior high, high school, and college students and totals approximately 450,000. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, newsletters, publications, reports, audio cassettes, video cassettes, and photographs.

Kenneth P. Williams papers, 1772-1963, bulk 1934-1945

5.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C193
Williams taught mathematics at Indiana University for nearly 50 years however, he was best known for his multi-volume work, Lincoln Finds a General, 1949. Williams was also the first commander of the Student Army Training Corps, later to be known as The Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) at Indiana University.

Frasier mss., 1934-2014

22 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2962
The Frasier mss., 1934-2014, consist of David K. Frasier's research materials, drafts, and related correspondence for his encyclopedias of show-business homicide and suicide as well as his biography/bibliography of Russ Meyer. Also included is correspondence with and writings about serial killer John Wayne Gacy and filmmaker Kenneth Anger.

Organization of American Historians Records, 1906-2019

227 cubic feet (187 cartons, 34 document boxes, 13 flat boxes, 73 optical discs, 70 floppy disks, 36 rolls of microfilm, 15 audio cassettes, 2 videotapes) Collection ID: MSS027
The Organization of American Historians (OAH) was founded in 1907 under the name the Mississippi Valley Historical Association (MVHA). The founders created a historical organization that encouraged research and study of the area that made up the Mississippi Valley. In 1913 it began to sponsor a scholarly journal, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review. The organization eventually outgrew its brand name as a regional association by gaining members throughout the country. The organization officially changed its name to the Organization of American Historians in 1965. Today, the OAH is a national organization with a worldwide membership promoting American history research.

Rosenberg mss., 1938-1982

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 1931
The Rosenberg mss., ca. 1938-1982, consist of letters from film critic and reviewer Pauline Kael, 1919-2001, to longtime friend Violet Rosenberg.

Indiana University Department of Radio and Television Chair's records, 1939-1963, bulk 1945-1952

14.8 cubic feet (16 boxes) Collection ID: C104
In 1938, Indiana University began to engage in radio activities. A room was set aside for use as a studio and control room, and a radio director and program director were hired. For years, radio classes were taught through several already established departments such as Speech and Journalism. At the Board of Trustees September 20, 1945 meeting, they approved the establishment of a Dept. of Radio as an "unattached" department under the Dean of Faculties. In 1953 it became the Department of Radio and Television within the College of Arts and Sciences and in 1974 the Department of Telecommunications. This collection contains the department chair's records from 1939-1963 and is comprised of correspondence, budgetary information, annual reports, information on various radio and television stations, and subject files. Records span the tenures of chairs Harry Skornia (1942-1953) and Elmer Sulzer (1954-1964).

Barnstone mss., 1948-2015

65 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2343
The Barnstone mss., 1948-2015, consists of the papers of poet and translator Willis Barnstone, 1927-.

Wheeler Mission Ministries Records, 1904-1992

23.0 cubic feet (19 cartons, 2 document boxes, 439 photographs, 48 cassette tapes, 2 films, and 2 filmstrips) Collection ID: MSS016
Wheeler Mission Ministries is a charitable organization serving the material and spiritual needs of poor individuals and families in Indianapolis, Indiana through Christian evangelism and conversion. Begun in 1893 as a home for unwed mothers by the Meridian Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, it was expanded by William Vincent Wheeler later that year to include a Rescue Mission. Coupling its charitable work with programs to develop a sense of self-sufficiency among the poor, Wheeler Mission was among the city's first charitable operations of its kind and continues to serve the needy of Indianapolis. The records, 1904-1992, consist of the administrative files which contain the correspondence and subject files of superintendents Herbert E. Eberhardt and Leonard C. Hunt, financial files, documentation of Wheeler Mission Associated Groups, printed materials, some research materials from the Door of Hope publication, photographs and audio/visual materials.

Boxer mss. III, 1647-1999

26 Linear Feet (20 boxes, 3 oversize) Collection ID: LMC 3012
The Boxer mss. III, 1647-1999, consists of the correspondence, papers and memorabilia of historian Charles R. Boxer, 1904-2000.

Sonneborn mss., 1922-1981

67 Boxes (62 standard, 5 custom) Collection ID: LMC 2167
The Sonneborn mss., 1922-1981, consists of the papers of American biologist Tracy Morton Sonneborn, 1905-1981.

Robert E. Nelson Papers, 1950-2008

18 cubic feet (18 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS093
Robert Eddinger Nelson, a pioneer in the field of higher education fund raising and development, was born in Rochester, Indiana on March 2, 1928. In 1969 he founded Robert E. Nelson Associates, Inc. as a consulting firm to advise colleges and universities in development and fund raising. He remained active in the field as a consultant, a speaker, a board member, and as a member of several university development associations until his retirement. Robert Nelson died in 2012. The Robert E. Nelson Papers consist mainly of Robert Nelson's correspondence and speech files. The collection also includes administrative files from Robert E. Nelson Associates and correspondence and administrative files from the Pith Helmet Society and the Have A Heart Foundation.

Public Welfare Foundation Records, 1917-2007

408 cubic feet (403 cartons, 4 flat boxes, 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS063
In 1947 Charles Edward Marsh founded the Public Welfare Foundation to render direct financial assistance to the needy. His purpose, to offer the greatest good to the greatest number of people, symbolized the efforts of the foundation he created. His method of distributing money, called the agent system, dispersed financial assistance to provide for the immediate needs of individuals. As tax laws required more detailed reporting, the foundation began to phase out the agent system and created a more formal method of receiving proposals from organizations worldwide. With a commitment to supporting organizations that help people overcome barriers to full participation in society, the foundation had distributed more than $400 million in grants by 2007. Its purpose continues in the spirit of Charles Marsh to focus on "ensuring the fundamental rights and opportunities for people in need."

Indiana University School of Letters Director's records, 1947-1979

3.8 cubic feet (5 boxes) Collection ID: C36
The School of Letters was originally created by John Crowe Ransom, F.O. Matthiessen, and Lionel Trilling as a part of the School of English at Kenyon College. When support from the Rockefeller Foundation ended, the program moved to Indiana University in the summer of 1951. Collection consists of the records of the Director of the School of Letters 1947-1979, organized in four series. The bulk of the collection is comprised of office files and correspondence between director Newton P. Stallknecht and faculty and guest lecturers. Prominent correspondents include a number of famous American poets and critics such as Randall Jarrell and John Crowe Ransom, as well as noted foreign scholars including the French existentialist philosopher Jean Wahl. Also included in the collection are a sample of student files and files representing Stallknecht's general university activities in his role as director of the School of Letters.

Great Lakes-Ohio Valley Ethnohistorical Research Project records, 1869-1969, bulk 1953-1965

3 cubic feet Collection ID: C105
Collection consists of 3 cubic feet of records created by Charles F. Voegelin and Erminie Wheeler-Voegelin for their Great Lakes - Ohio Valley Ethnohistorical Research Project. Prominently featured in the collection are correspondence and reports prepared for the U.S. Dept. of Justice.

Edward and Naomi Feil paper collection, 1937-2011

15 Boxes Collection ID: VAE3471
The Edward and Naomi Feil collection, 1937-2011, consist of papers, scripts, correspondence, business records, production materials, ephemera, photographs, and films created by Edward and Naomi Feil. Contents are both of a personal nature as well as related to the business Edward Feil Productions and gerontological research of Naomi Feil.

Norvelle mss. II, 1920-1981

7 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2395
The Norvelle mss. II, 1920-1981, consist of the papers of Lee Roy Norvelle, 1892-1984, Professor Emeritus of Speech and Theatre at Indiana University. Present are correspondence, travel memorabilia, the typescript and galleys for Professor Norvelle's autobiography, The Road Taken (IU Foundation, 1980), and five reels of tape recordings.

Indianapolis Foundation Records, 1916-2000

60 cubic feet (25 cartons, 50 document boxes, 20 flat boxes, 1 videocassette) Collection ID: MSS049
The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would "be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable uses as well in its judgment promote the welfare of persons now or hereafter residing in Indianapolis, Indiana." The foundation began making grants in 1924 and today continues to give to Indianapolis organizations to help improve the quality of life in the city.

Office of University Architect Records, 1945-1983

23 cubic feet (23 cartons) Collection ID: UA065
The Office of University Architect is a separate unit, based at Indiana University Bloomington, with an office on the IUPUI campus. The office plans and coordinates building and infrastructure projects, and works closely with Campus Facilities Services and the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance. Architectural drawings for IUPUI campus buildings and facilities are housed separately. Records include building and construction specifications, manuals, and other materials.

Larry Allyn Conrad Papers, 1947-1993

15.5 cubic feet (21 document boxes, 3 flat boxes, and 5 cartons) Collection ID: MSS008
Larry Allyn Conrad, civic and political leader, was born in Laconia, Indiana in 1935, to Ruby Rooksby Conrad and Marshall Conrad. He graduated from Ball State University and married Mary Lou Hoover in 1957. He received an LL.B from Indiana University- Indianapolis School of Law in 1961. His political career began in 1962, when he successfully managed Birch Bayh's campaign for the United States Senate. Bayh subsequently hired Conrad first as his legislative assistant and later as Chief Counsel of the Senate Subcommittee on Constitutional Amendments. Conrad is considered the chief architect of the 25th Amendment. In 1969 Conrad moved back to Indiana, and campaigned successfully for the office of Secretary of State, a position he held from 1970 to 1978. Conrad campaigned twice, unsuccessfully, in Indiana's gubernatorial race. In 1972, he lost the Democratic nomination in the primary to former governor Matt Welsh. In 1976, he won the nomination but lost the race to Republican incumbent Otis "Doc" Bowen. In 1979 Conrad entered private practice with Raymond Hafsten, specializing in governmental affairs. In 1983 he became Vice-President of Corporate Affairs for Melvin Simon and Associates, Indianapolis based shopping center developers. Conrad promoted Indianapolis tirelessly. He planned the opening ceremonies for the National Sports Festival in 1982, and the opening and closing ceremonies of the Tenth Pan American Games in 1987. In addition, he was involved in a variety of civic and philanthropic endeavors. Conrad left the Simons in 1989 to form a political consulting firm, The Conrad Group. He died in Lyon, France, the following year. Conrad's papers consist mainly of scrapbooks, political campaign files and memorabilia, business files, files on his civic and philanthropic endeavors, and miscellaneous personal information. Also included are: reel to reel films, audio and video tapes, and limited information from his time spent working for Birch Bayh.

Indiana University Department of Uralic and Altaic Studies Chairman's records, 1964-1988

1 cubic foot (1 box) Collection ID: C182
This collection consists of records created by Denis Sinor during his tenure as Chairman of the Department of Uralic and Altaic Studies at Indiana University Bloomington and spans the years 1964-1988. The collection includes correspondence, reports, memoranda, and applications, the bulk of which relate to federal funding for the Department of Uralic and Altaic Studies and associated programs and research travel awards for graduate students.

Robert Coughlan Papers, 1914-2003, bulk 1940-1978

7 Linear Feet Collection ID: RCP
John Robert Coughlan was a journalist and author, notably publishing articles in LIFE and Fortune magazines prior to ghostwriting Rose Kennedy's memoir, Times to Remember. Coughlan was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by Indiana University in 1988. His papers, gathered and annotated by his wife, Patricia Coughlan, include correspondence, notebooks, manuscripts, photographs, ephemera, and publications.

Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis Records, 1895-2002

7.5 cubic feet (7 cartons and 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS037
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis is a social service organization focusing on youth in Indianapolis. The organization started in 1893 as the Newsboy's Home. Founders of the home were Thomas C. Day; Caleb S. Denny, three term mayor of Indianapolis; Carrie Lowe Denny, his wife; and M.V. McGilliard, a local philanthropist. Today the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis operate ten clubs: five in clubhouse facilities and five clubs based at Indianapolis Public Schools. These clubs are strategically located in the city to serve the most at-risk youth. Programs offered by the organization's professional staff and volunteers include counseling, career development, cultural enrichment, social recreation, citizenship and leadership development, and individual and team sports. The records consist of association and individual club materials and include board of director's minutes, events and activities, fundraising and publicity, annual reports, individual club files, record books, photographs, and videos.

di Giovanni, Norman Thomas mss., 1953-1994

39 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2806
The di Giovanni, Norman Thomas mss., ca. 1953-1994, consists of the correspondence and writings of the author and translator, Norman Thomas di Giovanni, who is known for his collaboration with Argentine author Jorge Luis Borges.

Indiana University Folklore Institute Jokes, 1968-1971

1.8 cubic feet (3 boxes; 1 record container, 2 document cases) Collection ID: C735
The Indiana University Folklore Institute has a long history of collecting the oral literature and arts of Indiana. This collection consists of jokes collected by students of Indiana University, taking classes in the Folklore Department from 1968-1971. Joke subject matter includes ethnicity, politics, sexuality, gender, and religion.

Institutional History Mss, 1966-1969, bulk 1962-1985

2.5 linear feet Collection ID: 2017.001
Prior to the Glenn A. Black Lab of Archeology, the Indiana Historical Society was the only institution in Indiana assuming the responsibility for local prehistory including: an active program of site survey, excavation, preservation, basic research, publication, and student training. In the 1960s, the Indiana Historical Society proposed transferring their material holdings to Indiana University, which included a monetary grant to construct and equip an archeological laboratory on the Bloomington campus. Materials included in the transfer from the Indiana Historical Society to the Glenn A. Black Lab of Archeology included: state archeological survey files, the Society's artifact collection, library, physical equipment, and the Angel Mounds State Memorial. The archeological lab was named in honor of Indiana's Historical Society archeologist, Glenn A. Black and dedicated in 1971.

Logan H. Westbrooks Collection, 1936-2016

40 document cases (28.7 linear feet) Collection ID: SC 156
The collection of music industry professional Logan H. Westbrooks contains professional and personal papers, photographs, sound recordings, video recordings, digital files, posters, books, memorabilia, artifacts and other material documenting his life and work from the 1930s through the 2010s. Professional papers pertain to his employment at Capitol Records, Mercury Records, CBS Records, CBS International, Soul Train Records, Source Records, and his management firm Ascent Music Inc. Personal papers pertain to his upbringing in Memphis, TN, the Church of God in Christ, lectures at California State University and Indiana University, philanthropic activities, and civic service. Topics include African American music industry executives; record labels; recording industry in United States, Africa, and Jamaica; African American musicians; black churches; rhythm and blues, soul, jazz, and funk music; radio and African American disc jockeys.

Bloomington and Monroe County historical collection, 1818-2006, bulk 1897-1914

1.8 cubic feet (3 boxes) Collection ID: C219
Collection contains various scrapbooks, publications, yearbooks, reports, and a small amount of correspondence relating to Bloomington, Indiana, and Monroe County.

Teaching Film Custodians records, 1938-1973

.6 cubic feet (2 boxes) Collection ID: C543
Teaching Film Custodians, Inc. (TFC) began in the 1920s and merged with Indiana University in 1973. The mission of the company was to provide educational films to schools, colleges and universities and to promote the value of the motion picture. Collection consists of Members and Board of Trustees meeting minutes, and administrative files.

Federation of German Societies Records, 1931-1988

0.8 cubic feet (1 box and 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS069

Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Records, 1913-2002

43.0 cubic feet (39 cartons, 4 cassette boxes, 2 flat boxes, 13 video cassettes, and 64 audio cassettes) Collection ID: MSS002
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) is an organization formed by the 1975 merger of the American Alumni Council (AAC) and the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA). Constituents of both groups believed their goal of increasing the professional competence of those individuals involved in all phases of alumni work including, alumni administration, educational fund raising, public relations and publications in order to promote the cause of education could be better achieved as a single entity. The collection contains the records of CASE and its predecessor institutions covering the development of the early organizations and their merger to form the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.

Herron School of Art and Design Records, 1902-2014

89.4 cubic feet (87 cartons, 1 document box, and 10 flat boxes) Collection ID: UA026
The Herron School of Art and Design has provided instruction in both fine and commercial art since 1902. Founded by the Art Association of Indianapolis as part of the John Herron Art Institute, the school became part of the Indiana University system in 1967 and one of the schools of IUPUI in 1969. The school's faculty, students, and alumni have won several prestigious awards and gained national recognition for their work. The school was located in buildings at 16th and Pennsylvania Streets until 2005, when it moved into Eskenazi Hall on the IUPUI campus. Records include correspondence, minutes, reports, newsletters, exhibition programs and promotional material, publications, videotapes, and glass slides.

The Svend Holsoe Collection: Edward James Roye Materials, 1811-1986

3 cubic feet; (3 records cartons) Collection ID: IULC035
The materials in The Svend Holsoe Collection: Edward James Roye Materials include research materials and manuscripts of Holsoe's work pertaining to Edward James Roye, Liberia's 5th president.

Athenaeum Foundation Records, 1894-2011

8.6 cubic feet (8 cartons, 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS076
The Athenaeum Foundation was organized in 1991 and incorporated as a not-for-profit foundation operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The foundation's purposes was to acquire title to the Athenaeum, located at 401 East Michigan Street in Indianapolis; to raise funds for and supervise and direct the rehabilitation of building to maintain its architectural and aesthetic integrity as a historic structure; to educate the public about the history and significance of the Athenaeum; to foster the use of the building by the foundation itself, the building's tenants, and other organizations; and to oversee the management of the building.

Institute for American Thought, 1971-1990

5.25 cubic feet (5 Cartons, 1 half-sized document box) Collection ID: UA016

Jan Shipps Papers, 1970-2005

3.25 cubic feet (3 cartons and 1 document box) Collection ID: UA101
This collection contains the papers of Professor Jan Shipps, a faculty member at IUPUI from 1973-1995. She taught in the Departments of History and Religious Studies and in the American Studies Program. She served as the director of the Center for American Studies and as a research associate for the POLIS Center. She is a nationally recognized expert on Mormonism and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This collection contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, and research materials relating to Shipps's work as a faculty member and administrator and to her research interests.

Lütgenhorst, Manuel mss., 1965-2007

20 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2840
The Lütgenhorst, Manuel mss., ca. 1965-2007, consists of the papers, artwork, photographs, and films of Manuel Lütgenhorst regarding his work as an award-winning set, costume, and lighting designer.

Preston, Robert mss., ca. 1930s-1990s

5 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2725
The Preston, Robert mss., ca. 1930s-1990s, consist of correspondence, photographs, and memorabilia of stage and screen actor Robert Preston.

Baker Street Irregulars mss., 1923-2021

72 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2936
The Baker Street Irregulars mss., 1923-2007, consists of correspondence, business files, and publications of the Baker Street Irregulars, a Sherlock Holmes literary society founded in 1934.

Steve Guback Collection, 1952-2008

58 Boxes Collection ID: MSA 2
Steve Guback Collection consist of publications, correspondence, photographs and audio video materials

Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies records, 1965-2000 and undated

5.8 cubic feet Collection ID: C715
The Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies (RCLSS) was initially founded by Herman B Wells in 1955 as the Research Center for Anthropology, Folklore, and Linguistics; it was renamed the Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies in 1975. RCLSS evolved and grew rapidly under the direction of Thomas A. Sebeok, who served as Chairperson from 1956 through his retirement in 1991. The Center's primary functions included research, publishing, teaching, and the advancement of institutional connections in the interdisciplinary field of semiotics. This collection contains administrative records, student files, undergraduate and graduate curriculum development materials, committee reports and records, course files, and issues of the RCLSS in-house periodical Language Sciences.

Henry H. H. Remak papers, 1914-2010, bulk 1965-1998

72 cubic feet(Approximately) (73 boxes) Collection ID: C442
Henry H. H. Remak was hired at Indiana University-Bloomington as a full-time professor for the Department of German in 1948. He also taught for the Department of Comparative Literature, West European Studies and the Honors Division. Additionally, Remak chaired the Department of German in 1962, the Department of Comparative Literature intermittently between 1954 and 1963, as well as West European Studies from 1966-1969. He was also Vice Chancellor and Dean of the Faculties from 1969-1974 and Director of the Institute for Advanced Study from 1988-1994 and 1997-1998. This collection consists of papers related to Remak's teaching, administrative positions, university and disciplinary service, and academic scholarship.

Robert F. Borkenstein papers, 1928-2002, bulk 1940-2002

28 cubic feet(Approximately) (31 boxes) Collection ID: C416
Robert F. Borkenstein worked in various capacities with the Indiana State Police in collaboration with Indiana University before retiring in 1958 and coming to IU full time, serving as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Police Administration until his retirement in 1987. He played a major role in developing the department, which was renamed the Department of Forensic Studies in 1970 and again renamed the Department of Criminal Justice in 1985. Borkenstein was a prolific figure in the fields of forensic science and traffic safety; he is well known for inventing the Breathalyzer in 1954 and for research efforts into blood alcohol concentration through the Grand Rapids Study in the 1960s. This collection consists of biographical documents, research and professional materials, instruments, and subject files. Included are files and instruments related to Borkenstein's research and development of several of his breath test inventions, including the Breathalyzer.

Lilly Family School of Philanthropy Records, 1959-2021

300 cubic feet Collection ID: UA018
The Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University (COP) was established at IUPUI in 1987.The Center began offering academic courses in 1988. The Center also conducted research in various aspects of philanthropy and worked with other academic centers around the country involved in Philanthropic Studies on projects designed to educate the public about philanthropy and to increase philanthropic activity. In 2012 the IU Board of Trustees voted to establish the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, and the school was formally inaugurated in 2013. The records in this collection detail the academic, research, and service activities of the school and document its relationship to other academic institutions and organizations involved in philanthropy and philanthropic studies. The records include correspondence, minutes, reports, and publications.

Indiana University Office of State Relations Assistant Director's Records, 1988-1998

1 cubic foot (1 box) Collection ID: C177
A system-wide administrative office, the Office of State Relations (OSR) monitors and reacts to state government activities that influence operations at Indiana University. Collection consists of one cubic foot of records created and/or saved by Malcolm M. Webb during his tenure as Assistant Director of the Office of State Relations. Within the folders researchers can find correspondence, faxes, memos, and reports sent and received by Webb. The most prominent subject of the collection, consisting of 11 folders, deal with the early development of the Theatre/Neal-Marshall Center.

Richard Bauman papers, 1953-2018

16.4 cubic feet (17 boxes) Collection ID: C342
Richard Bauman taught in the Indiana University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology from 1986 until his retirement in 2008. The Bauman papers consist of his teaching materials, awards, publications, conference contributions, research projects, fieldwork materials, correspondence, and student recommendations.

Indiana University Department of French and Italian records, 1935-2015, bulk 1946-2015

11 cubic feet (11 boxes) Collection ID: C115
The Department of French and Italian at Indiana University was established in 1934, when the Department of Romantic Languages split into French and Italian and the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. This collection covers the period 1935-2015 and consists of administrative files, such as annual reports, minutes, and newsletters, as well as faculty files that include articles, newspaper clippings, curricula vitae, correspondence, and other material.

Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus Records, 1950-2001

32.4 cubic feet (31 record cartons and 1 document case) Collection ID: UA051

Peter Dobkin Hall Papers, 1970-2014

27.3 cubic feet (27 cubic foot record cartons and one legal-sized document case.) Collection ID: MSS086
Peter Dobkin Hall was a historian of American philanthropy, who held appointments at Wesleyan (1974-1982), Yale (1973-1999), and Harvard (2000 until death), and was Scholar in Residence at the Rockefeller Archive Center in 1989. He was extensively published in philanthropy but it probably best known for his book "'Inventing the Nonprofit Sector' and Other Essays on Philanthropy, Voluntarism, and Nonprofit Organizations."

Sigma Theta Tau International, Inc. Records, 1920-2016

161.5 cubic feet (135 cartons, 8 document boxes, 4 flat boxes, 3 microform boxes, 938 audio tapes, approx. 313 video tapes, 265 optical discs, 254 floppy disks, 77 zip disks, 3 flash drives, 3 artifacts) Collection ID: MSS051
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. The International Center for Nursing Scholarship, located on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the headquarters of STTI.

J. Michael Dunn papers, 1959-2019 and undated

13 cubic feet Collection ID: C742
Jon Michael "Mike" Dunn (1941-2021) was an active faculty member and administrator at Indiana University, Bloomington from 1969-2007. Dunn started his career at IU in the Department of Philosophy and was additionally named a professor in the Department of Computer Science in 1989. He was also the first executive associate dean for the College of Arts and Sciences 1988-1993 and the founding dean of the School of Informatics 1999-2007. This collection represents Dunn's work across his career, including activities at IU and research and publishing activities related to relevance logics and algebraic approaches.

Indiana AIDS Fund Records, 1986-2005

11 cubic feet (11 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS047
The Indiana AIDS Fund (IAF) was founded in 1994 as a private, philanthropic fund-raising and grant-making institution with the goal of supporting HIV/AIDS prevention, education, and services in Indiana. It began as a joint fund-raising and distribution initiative jointly convened by The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis and the Indiana State Department of Health. Their efforts spanned the state geographically, and funding priorities centered on HIV prevention programs, harm reduction programs and advocacy, secondary HIV prevention programs (i.e., slowing disease progress), and at-risk populations including youth, injection drug users, and adults belonging to a range of gender, race, and ethnic groups.

Marsha Adler's America Reads Collection, 1997-2017

1 Cubic Feet (1 record carton, including 1 VHS tape) Collection ID: MSS171
This collection contains predominantly publications and reports of the America Reads Challenge program with correspondence, news clippings, posters, and a VHS. The America Reads Challenge, a national movement, was started to promote and ensure children's literacy in 1997 as part of President Clinton's Call to Action for Education. The publications are from the America Reads Challenge office creating teaching materials and guidebooks, and institutions that received grants for the program review by Marsha Adler, who was a director of Higher Education at the America Reads Challenge office.

Kenneth L. Gladish Papers, 1981-2008

4 Cubic Feet (4 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS135
Kenneth L. Gladish, born in 1952, was an executive director of Indiana Humanities Council from 1984 to 1991 and the president of the Central Indiana Community Foundation (including the Indianapolis Foundation) from 1993 to 2000. He contributed to several Indiana-based foundations and organizations such as Hanover College, the Rotary Foundation and IUPUI Board of Advisors and the Indiana Jewish Community Relations Council. This collection includes records of his work until he became a chief executive officer of the YMCA of the USA in 2000.

Pamela W. Freeman papers, 1996-2001

4.6 Cubic Feet (4 rc; 1 dc and 1 small dc) Collection ID: C675
Pamela W. Freeman was the Associate Dean of Students and former Director of the Office of Student Ethics and Anti-harassment Programs at Indiana University Bloomington (1985-2011). This collection holds papers relating exclusively to Freeman's involvement with the Lambda 10 Project National Clearinghouse for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Greek issues and two of its resulting publications.

Indiana Humanities Council Records, 1996-2005

1 Cubic Feet (1 document case) Collection ID: MSS172
Indiana Humanities Council (IHC) is a statewide nonprofit organization based in Indianapolis that was established in 1972. The purpose of the organization is to infuse the humanities into people's daily lives by providing grants and programs as one of 56 Humanities Councils affiliated with the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) in the United States. This collection contains documents from two programs related to IHC's work donated by Beth Kloote: Habits of the Heart and the Aspen Summit: Rethinking the Public Humanities conference.

Julia Carson Papers, 1978-2008

34.6 cubic feet (34 cartons, 1 document box, 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS079
Julia M. Carson (July 8, 1938-December 15, 2007) was the first woman and African-American to represent Indianapolis and the second African-American (after Katie Hall of Gary, Indiana) to represent Indiana in the United States House of Representatives, serving from 1997 until her death. Prior to entering Congress, Carson, a Democrat, served as a state representative and a state senator in the Indiana General Assembly and as Center Township trustee in Marion County, Indiana. The collection is composed primarily of Carson's records from her years in Congress, including biographical materials, committee records, legislative records, subject files, caucus records, meetings and events records, speeches, correspondence, press releases, newsletters, and flyers, office administration records, and audiovisual materials.

Warren E. Roberts papers, 1863-1999, bulk 1960-1990

33 Boxes (approximately 33 cubic feet) Collection ID: C322
In 1953, Warren Everett Roberts became the first person to earn a PhD in Folklore in the United States. He taught at Indiana University from 1949-1994 and was one of the founders of the study of American "folklife" and material culture. The collection represents Roberts' research of vernacular architecture and regional survey of material culture and craftsmanship, particularly in southern Indiana. Collection consists of research files, teaching files, photographs, photographic negatives and slides, publications, and correspondence.

Wakefield mss., 1950-2011

137 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2715
The Wakefield mss., 1950-2011, consists of the papers of novelist, journalist, and screenwriter Dan Wakefield, 1932- .

Copyright Management Center Records, 1993-2007

16 cubic feet (16 record cartons) Collection ID: UA089

Liberian Government Archives I, 1828-1911

6 cubic feet; (7 records cartons) Collection ID: LCP006
The collection consists of correspondence, reports, records, minutes, and other miscellaneous manuscript items. These materials are typically either photocopies of items from the Liberian Archives in Monrovia, Liberia, or are typescript copies/notes created by Dr. Holsoe in the course of his research. The collection also includes material from the research notebooks of Dr. Peter Murdza.

Lee H. Hamilton Congressional Papers, 1965-1998

292 linear feet (234 cartons) Collection ID: MPP 2
Consists of the papers of Congressman Lee Hamilton relating to his 34 years of service in the United States House of Representatives as Representative of the Ninth Congressional District of Indiana, including extensive files on Indiana projects and from his chairmanship of the Subcommittee on Europe and the Middle East of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Elder, Robert K. mss. II

4 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2967
The Elder, Robert K. mss. II, 2001-2020, consist of personal correspondence from writer and journalist Robert K. Elder to his collaborator Aaron Vetch.