Search

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level File Remove constraint Level: File Year Unknown Remove constraint Year: Unknown

Search Results

Phil Moore Collection, Series 17.7. Music manuscripts, approximately 1940s-1987

71 Boxes Collection ID: COL 6 (VAD8333)
Music manuscripts composed and arranged by Phil Moore including scores and parts for full orchestra, small ensembles, vocalist with keyboard accompaniment, lead sheets, and initial sketches. Moore composed in a wide range of genres, but works in various jazz styles popular during the early 1940s through the 1960s are particularly well represented. His musical manuscripts include arrangements for night club acts, musicals, and studio recordings; soundtrack material for films, television productions, cartoons, and commercials; and various forms of Western art music. When known, the name of the artist a specific arrangement was made for has been provided.

Allen mss., 800-1972

150 Items Collection ID: LMC 2454
The Allen mss., 800-1972, consists of manuscript pieces collected by William Edward David Allen, 1901-1973, foreign service officer, businessman, and author, and his own writings about Georgian history.

Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies records, 1965-2000 and undated

5.8 cubic feet Collection ID: C715
The Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies (RCLSS) was initially founded by Herman B Wells in 1955 as the Research Center for Anthropology, Folklore, and Linguistics; it was renamed the Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies in 1975. RCLSS evolved and grew rapidly under the direction of Thomas A. Sebeok, who served as Chairperson from 1956 through his retirement in 1991. The Center's primary functions included research, publishing, teaching, and the advancement of institutional connections in the interdisciplinary field of semiotics. This collection contains administrative records, student files, undergraduate and graduate curriculum development materials, committee reports and records, course files, and issues of the RCLSS in-house periodical Language Sciences.

Lamb, H. mss., 1917-1919

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2564
The Lamb, H. mss., 1917-1919, consist primarily of letters, diaries, and photographs by and relating to Harley Lamb, 1895-1972, while serving in the American Expeditionary Force during World War I.

Maugham mss., 1904-1973

1696 Items (2 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 1724 (VAD6730) (VAD6730)
The Maugham mss., 1904-1973, consist of the contracts and correspondence about those contracts for works by William Somerset Maugham, 1874-1965, English novelist and playwright.

Winston mss., 1998-2008

30 Items (2 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 2656 (VAD7199) (VAD7199)
The Winston mss., ca. 1998 - 2011, consist of drafts of German literature translations by Krishna Winston, a professor in the German Studies Department at Wesleyan University.

James, C. L. R. mss., ca. 1942-1974

78 Items Collection ID: LMC 1552 (VAD8296) (VAD8296)
The James, C.L.R. mss., ca. 1942-1974, consist of correspondence and writings of West Indian writer and political activist Cyril Lionel Robert James, 1901-1989.

Krueger mss., 1988-1993

5 Boxes (5 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2262 (VAD8303) (VAD8303)
The Krueger mss., 1988-1993, consist of translations from English into German of literary works by British authors Julian Barnes and William Boyd. The translator is Gertraude Krueger of Berlin and the translations were published by Haffmans Verlag in Zurich in the case of Barnes and by Rowohlt Verlag in Hamburg for Boyd.

Lockhart, R. mss., 1906-1969

3500 Items Collection ID: LMC 1674 (VAD8307) (VAD8307)
The Lockhart, R. mss., 1906-1969, consist of the correspondence, writings and memorabilia of Sir Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart, 1887-1970, diplomat and writer.

Graves mss., 1914-1994

225 Items Collection ID: LMC 2220 (VAD8291) (VAD8291)
The Graves mss., 1914-1994, consist of correspondence and research materials collected by Richard Perceval Graves, 1945- , in preparation for writing his biography of Welsh author, Richard Arthur Warren Hughes, 1900-1976.

Binkley, Raglind mss., 1450-1842

3 Items Collection ID: LMC 2873 (VAE0927) (VAE0927)
The Binkley, Raglind mss., ca. 1450-1842, consist of medieval fragments collected by Thomas and Raglind Binkley.

Joris, Pierre mss., 1960-2010

30000 Items (15 boxes) Collection ID: LMC 2808 (VAD7271) (VAD7271)
The Joris, Pierre mss., ca. 1960-2010, consist of the papers of the noted poet, translator and essayist, Pierre Joris, 1946-.

Leiber, F. mss. II, ca. 1932-1970

1 folio (oversize) Collection ID: LMC 2164 (VAD8306) (VAD8306)
The Leiber, F. mss. II, ca. 1932-1970, consist of correspondence, writings, drawings, and photographs of science fiction writer Fritz Leiber, 1910-1992.

Landers mss., ca. 1990-2007

4 Boxes (4 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2263 (VAD8305) (VAD8305)
The Landers mss., ca. 1990s-2008, consist of the manuscripts and papers of Clifford E. Landers, Professor Emeritus of Political Science.

Vincent McGee Papers, 1960-2010

39 cubic feet (39 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS102

Jay mss., 1864-2005

5 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2976
The Jay mss., 1864-2005, consist of approximately 325 spirit photographs and related correspondence and printed materials collected by magician Ricky Jay, 1946-2018.

Mamet mss., 1947-2005

3 Boxes Collection ID: KS
Mamet mss., 1947-2005, consists of the correspondence, typescript drafts, and personal items of screenwriter, director, and playwright David Mamet.

Jay mss. II, 1940-2018

73 linear feet Collection ID: LMC 2991
The Jay mss. II, 1940s-2018, consist of the correspondence, research files, and manuscripts of magician Ricky Jay (1946-2018).

Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Records, 1913-2002

43.0 cubic feet (39 cartons, 4 cassette boxes, 2 flat boxes, 13 video cassettes, and 64 audio cassettes) Collection ID: MSS002
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) is an organization formed by the 1975 merger of the American Alumni Council (AAC) and the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA). Constituents of both groups believed their goal of increasing the professional competence of those individuals involved in all phases of alumni work including, alumni administration, educational fund raising, public relations and publications in order to promote the cause of education could be better achieved as a single entity. The collection contains the records of CASE and its predecessor institutions covering the development of the early organizations and their merger to form the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.

Delta Psi Kappa Records, 1916-1999

36 cubic feet (20 Cartons, 10 Flat Boxes , 2 Newspaper Storage Boxes, 1 Folio Box, and 2 Media Boxes (5 cassettes and 2 diskettes)) Collection ID: MSS155
Delta Psi Kappa was a "professional fraternity for women in the fields of health, physical education, and recreation". Founded in 1916 at the Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union, Delta Psi Kappa would eventually spread to a large number of other colleges and universities with programs in the aforementioned fields. Active into the 1990s, the organization remained focused on health and physical education and participated in numerous activities with other organizations who shared their goals.

James C. Penney Foundation Records, 1929-1999

41.8 cubic feet (41 cartons, 2 document cases, 2 video cassettes, 7 audio cassettes, 3 CDs) Collection ID: MSS044
The James C. Penney Foundation was created in 1954 by the merchant, James Cash Penney, and his wife, Caroline A. Penney. James C. Penney was born on September 16, 1875 near Hamilton, Missouri. In the early 1900s he purchased his first store, called the Golden Rule. His values, emphasizing both the customer and the employee, helped him build a chain of Golden Rule stores that was renamed the J.C. Penney Company, Inc. in 1913. Penney's personal philanthropy began with death of his second wife, Mary. He formed the J.C. Penney Foundation in 1925 in her memory to help support youth programs and the Penney Farms, a retirement community founded by Penney for ministers. The J.C. Penney Foundation folded after the stock market crash in 1929, but Penney regained his personal fortune and renewed his interest in philanthropy over the next two decades. In 1954 he and his wife, Caroline, founded a second foundation, called the James C. Penney Foundation.

Junior Achievement of Central Indiana Records, 1956-2000

15 cubic feet (9 cartons, 2 document boxes, 3 media boxes, 1 flat box, 1 oversized folder, and 40 videotapes) Collection ID: MSS094
Junior Achievement of Central Indiana (JA Central Indiana) was founded in 1957 as an area franchise of Junior Achievement. JA Central Indiana has implemented the major educational programs of Junior Achievement from 1958 through today, teaching Central Indiana students from the grade school to high school level about economics and business in a hands-on format.

American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016

10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS038
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Otto Stark Collection, 1887-1970

0.4 cubic feet (1 box) Collection ID: MSS075

Federation of German Societies Records, 1931-1988

0.8 cubic feet (1 box and 1 flat box) Collection ID: MSS069

Altrusa International, Inc. of Indianapolis Records, 1917-1997

3.7 cubic feet (3 cartons, 1 document box, and 1 pamphlet box) Collection ID: MSS009
Altrusa International, Inc. is an international service organization for professional and executive business women with membership on a limited classification basis. The National Association of Altrusa Clubs, founded in 1917 as Altrusa Institute, was the first national organization of business and professional women. In 1935 Altrusa became international and the name was changed to International Association of Altrusa Clubs, Inc. The organization's name was changed again in June 1947, to Altrusa International, Inc. The Indianapolis Altrusa Club was formed in April 1917. Its programs and activities have included vocational education and guidance, senior citizens programs, civic service and community service projects, financial assistance for graduate women from other countries and literacy related programs. The organization's objectives are to cultivate friendly relationships and solidarity among business and professional women to encourage mutual helpfulness; to provide vocational information and service to women of all ages; to encourage members to actively participate in community, national and international affairs, and to promote educational and cultural training. The records consist of legal documents, board and committee records, meeting files, financial records, correspondence, publications, special event materials, scrapbooks, news clippings and photographs.

Anna Margaret Ross Alexander Papers, 1955-1994

0.4 cubic feet (1 document box) Collection ID: MSS014
Anna Margaret Ross Alexander (1913-1995) was an Indianapolis civic leader, and member and president of the Indianapolis Board of School Commissioners from 1966-1970 during the period when desegregation, integration of the teaching staff, and busing was initiated. Mrs. Alexander was an active member in diverse civic organizations, but the records collected mainly reflect her tenure on the School Board.

Robert E. Nelson Papers, 1950-2008

18 cubic feet (18 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS093
Robert Eddinger Nelson, a pioneer in the field of higher education fund raising and development, was born in Rochester, Indiana on March 2, 1928. In 1969 he founded Robert E. Nelson Associates, Inc. as a consulting firm to advise colleges and universities in development and fund raising. He remained active in the field as a consultant, a speaker, a board member, and as a member of several university development associations until his retirement. Robert Nelson died in 2012. The Robert E. Nelson Papers consist mainly of Robert Nelson's correspondence and speech files. The collection also includes administrative files from Robert E. Nelson Associates and correspondence and administrative files from the Pith Helmet Society and the Have A Heart Foundation.

Wheeler Mission Ministries Records, 1904-1992

23.0 cubic feet (19 cartons, 2 document boxes, 439 photographs, 48 cassette tapes, 2 films, and 2 filmstrips) Collection ID: MSS016
Wheeler Mission Ministries is a charitable organization serving the material and spiritual needs of poor individuals and families in Indianapolis, Indiana through Christian evangelism and conversion. Begun in 1893 as a home for unwed mothers by the Meridian Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, it was expanded by William Vincent Wheeler later that year to include a Rescue Mission. Coupling its charitable work with programs to develop a sense of self-sufficiency among the poor, Wheeler Mission was among the city's first charitable operations of its kind and continues to serve the needy of Indianapolis. The records, 1904-1992, consist of the administrative files which contain the correspondence and subject files of superintendents Herbert E. Eberhardt and Leonard C. Hunt, financial files, documentation of Wheeler Mission Associated Groups, printed materials, some research materials from the Door of Hope publication, photographs and audio/visual materials.

Vivian B. Allen Foundation Records, 1946-1972

3.8 cubic feet (3 record cartons and 2 document cases) Collection ID: MSS007
Vivian B. Allen (VBA) Foundation was created in 1938 in New York State by Vivian Beaumont Allen with the stated purpose, "to promote the well-being of mankind in the United States of America and elsewhere in the world, including as a means to that end research, publication, the establishment and maintenance of charitable, benevolent, religious and educational activities, agencies and institutions already established." Upon Mrs. Allen's death in 1962, VBA Foundation began to liquidate itself and was dissolved in 1971. The records consist of correspondence between VBA Foundation and grant applicants, including notification of awards or rejections, and descriptions of projects under consideration for grants; and administrative records and correspondence of the Board of Directors, including Board meeting agenda and minutes, and Memoranda distributed to the Board Members. The collection contains records dating back to 1946.

National Council of Jewish Women Indianapolis Section Records, 1906-1999

3.4 cubic feet (3 record cartons, 1 letter-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS025
The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), established in 1893, is the oldest volunteer Jewish women's organization in the United States. It is "dedicated in the spirit of Judaism to advancing human welfare and the democratic way of life" and focuses on five major areas of philanthropy: Women's Issues, Children and Youth, Israel, Jewish Life and Aging. The Indianapolis Section of NCJW was officially formed in 1903 by women of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation formalizing what had begun in 1896 as a primarily social and religious study group. Advocacy and community service remain the focus of the Indianapolis Section of the National Council of Jewish Women as it begins its second century of service. The records consist of meeting minutes, yearbooks which list membership and projects, financial records, newsletters, news clippings and two short videotapes.

New Farmers of America Records, 1929-1965

1.6 cubic feet (1 record carton, 2 document boxes) Collection ID: MSS059
The New Farmers of America (NFA) began as a national organization for African-American farm youth in 1935 to promote agricultural leadership, character, thrift, scholarship, cooperation, and citizenship. This organization served its members for 30 years providing experience in leadership and education in the agricultural field. Programs and contests designed for the organization awarded youth for achievement within the NFA and their community. In 1965 the NFA merged with the National FFA Organization. At the time of the merger, the NFA consisted of 1,004 chapters in 12 states and over 50,000 members.

William Vincent Wheeler Family Papers, 1863-1993

0.8 cubic feet (2 document boxes) Collection ID: MSS020
William Vincent Wheeler, founder of Wheeler Mission Ministries of Indianapolis, Indiana, was born in 1845 in Ohio and in 1853, his family moved to Indiana. After serving in the Civil War, Wheeler moved to Indianapolis where he was employed by Layman-Carey Hardware Company beginning as a delivery driver and eventually becoming head of the sales department. In 1868, Wheeler experienced a religious conversion and became active in the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church as well as becoming a lay-preacher. In 1893, the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) opened a home for unwed mothers. Wheeler volunteered his help and suggested the range of services offered be broadened to include men, women and children in the form of a rescue mission. He became part-time superintendent of the mission and in 1895, resigned from the hardware company to become a full-time salaried superintendent of the mission, one of the first charitable operations of its kind in Indianapolis. He remained in this position until his death in 1908. The papers consist of correspondence of members of the Wheeler family, family photographs, Wheeler's civil war diary and family history materials.

Indianapolis Foundation Records, 1916-2000

60 cubic feet (25 cartons, 50 document boxes, 20 flat boxes, 1 videocassette) Collection ID: MSS049
The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would "be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable uses as well in its judgment promote the welfare of persons now or hereafter residing in Indianapolis, Indiana." The foundation began making grants in 1924 and today continues to give to Indianapolis organizations to help improve the quality of life in the city.

American City Bureau Records, 1919-1995

43.0 cubic feet (42 record cartons and 2 boxes) Collection ID: MSS052
American City Bureau, a fundraising consulting firm, works with not for profit organizations to design and run fund raising campaigns. Established in 1913 by Edgar and Harold Buttenheim, the company merged with Beaver and Associates in 1963. The firm has worked on capital campaigns on the national and local level. American City Bureau has been instrumental in developing campaigns for organizations such as the Young Men's Christian Association,(YMCA), the Young Women's Christian Association, (YWCA), United Fund, and the Salvation Army. The records detail the fund raising efforts and campaigns of the American City Bureau and its predecessor origins. It consists of 4 page reports of campaigns from Howard T. Beaver Associates, (later Beaver and Associates) from 1936-1963, campaign information from American City Bureau from 1944 -1995, conference addresses and programs, from 1938-1978, promotional materials and publications from 1919- 1973, and their newsletter, Bureau News from 1920-1976.

Oram Group, Inc. Records, 1938-1992

30 cubic feet (27 cartons, 2 oversized boxes, 1 microfilm roll, 27 audio cassettes) Collection ID: MSS057
The Oram Group, Inc. (formerly Harold L. Oram, Inc.) was founded in 1939 as a fund raising and public relations consulting firm specializing in liberal social causes. Early clients of the Oram Group addressed social and political issues including human and civil rights, the environment, nuclear weapons, and refugee relief. Today the Oram Group, Inc. continues to serve the non-profit organization in the areas of religion, social action, health, civil rights, the environment, and performing arts.

Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis Records, 1895-2002

7.5 cubic feet (7 cartons and 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS037
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis is a social service organization focusing on youth in Indianapolis. The organization started in 1893 as the Newsboy's Home. Founders of the home were Thomas C. Day; Caleb S. Denny, three term mayor of Indianapolis; Carrie Lowe Denny, his wife; and M.V. McGilliard, a local philanthropist. Today the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis operate ten clubs: five in clubhouse facilities and five clubs based at Indianapolis Public Schools. These clubs are strategically located in the city to serve the most at-risk youth. Programs offered by the organization's professional staff and volunteers include counseling, career development, cultural enrichment, social recreation, citizenship and leadership development, and individual and team sports. The records consist of association and individual club materials and include board of director's minutes, events and activities, fundraising and publicity, annual reports, individual club files, record books, photographs, and videos.

Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs Records (Filer Commission), 1964-1980

5.0 cubic feet (5 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS024
The Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was founded in November 1973 through the efforts of John D. Rockefeller, III, House Ways and Means Chairman Wilbur D. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz, and Under Secretary William E. Simon. The Commission was formed to study the role of philanthropic giving in the United States and to make recommendations regarding ways to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the voluntary sector. Composed of religious and labor leaders, former cabinet members, executives of foundations and corporations, federal judges, and representatives of several minority groups, the Commission sought to reach its goal through research and debate. The findings and recommendations of the Commission were published in a final report entitled, Giving in America: Toward a Stronger Voluntary Sector. This collection contains board and advisory records including meeting minutes and correspondence, committee recommendations, and research materials that include surveys, conferences, reports, foundation annual reports, and Senate Finance Hearings.

Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy Records (Peterson Commission), 1949-1970

6.4 cubic feet (6 cartons, 1 pamphlet box, 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS023
The Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy was formed by John D. Rockefeller, III, in 1969, and chaired by Peter Peterson, to objectively investigate foundations and their role in society. The Peterson Commission, as it was known, was designed to be influenced by neither the government nor the foundations they investigated. An objective appraisal of foundation activities was necessary to give the Commission the credibility it needed to influence Congress' decisions on foundation activities. By researching the roles of foundations in society, the members hoped to construct policy recommendations that made foundations more accountable while allowing them to maintain their independence from outside interference. This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, the House of Representatives and Senate Hearings on the Tax Reform Law, and the foundation research collected by the commission that includes annual reports, surveys, articles, and correspondence.

Association of Fundraising Professionals Records, 1960-1999

1.5 cubic feet (1 record carton and 2 document cases) Collection ID: MSS041
The National Society of Fund Raisers was organized in New York City in 1960 to serve as the professional association for fund raisers in America. The organization changed its name to the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE) in the mid-1970s, and at about the same time hired its first executive director. In 1993 NSFRE had 15,903 individual members in 131 chapters, and maintained a national office in Alexandria, Virginia. Its name was again changed January 1, 2001, to the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Since its beginnings, the NSFRE has worked to promote professional and ethical standards through annual conferences, seminars, and publications. In the late 1970s, it instituted a program of certification for fund raising executives, and it has been active in supporting research and publicity on the role of philanthropy in American life.

Carol Bernstein Ferry and W. H. Ferry Papers, 1971-1997

22.8 cubic feet (22 cartons,1 document box, and 2 card file boxes) Collection ID: MSS006
Carol Bernstein Ferry and the late W. H. (Ping) Ferry were social change philanthropists who gave away a substantial part of their personal wealth to progressive social change groups, activities, and activists concentrating generally in the areas of war, racism, poverty, and injustice. The Ferrys were also board members of the DJB Foundation, established by Carol's first husband, Daniel J. Bernstein, which focused its giving in similar areas. The papers, 1971-1996, document the individuals, organizations, and activities the Ferrys supported with their donations.

Peter Dobkin Hall Papers, 1970-2014

27.3 cubic feet (27 cubic foot record cartons and one legal-sized document case.) Collection ID: MSS086
Peter Dobkin Hall was a historian of American philanthropy, who held appointments at Wesleyan (1974-1982), Yale (1973-1999), and Harvard (2000 until death), and was Scholar in Residence at the Rockefeller Archive Center in 1989. He was extensively published in philanthropy but it probably best known for his book "'Inventing the Nonprofit Sector' and Other Essays on Philanthropy, Voluntarism, and Nonprofit Organizations."

Women & Philanthropy, 1975-2008

39.4 cubic feet (38 cartons, 2 document boxes, 1 pamphlet box, 5 cassette boxes, and 2 video cassettes) Collection ID: MSS066
Women & Philanthropy incorporated in 1977 with the purpose of elevating the status of women as decision makers in philanthropy and increasing the amount of funding for women and girls' programs. The organization's research-based advocacy served as the foundation for its agenda. Providing evidence that women were under-represented in a variety of key areas in the field of philanthropy, Women & Philanthropy developed ways to combat the problem and while providing a resource for women in the field to become educators and advocates for their gender. In 2007 Women & Philanthropy ceased as a separate organization and became a special project of the Council on Foundations. Materials in this collection cover the whole of the organization's history from its beginning until its incorporation into the Council on Foundations and provide an excellent resource for understanding the role of women as leaders in the foundation world.

Social Health Association of Central Indiana Records, 1919-2014

20.4 cubic feet (20 cartons, 1 document case, 27 reel-to-reel tapes, and 2 VHS) Collection ID: MSS050
The Social Health Association of Central Indiana began as the Anti-Syphilis League of Indiana in 1938. Its purpose was to eradicate venereal diseases, particularly syphilis and gonorrhea, and the conditions which contributed to its proliferation. In 1939, the name was changed to the Indiana Social Hygiene Association. In 1943, their mission included the eradication of venereal diseases; the battle against prostitution and sexual delinquency; the promotion of sex education and appropriate sexual behavior; and the support of family and marriage relations. As the organization's focus evolved, it underwent a name change to the Social Health Association of Indianapolis and Marion County, and in the 1960s, became more involved in sex education, developing materials for elementary and secondary schools and education professionals. In 1976, the name changed to the Social Health Association of Central Indiana as it began to develop programs for areas outside of Marion County. In the 1980s, the organization added AIDS education to its curriculum and in the 1990s it added "Life Skills" education. The agency changed its name to Social Health Association of Indiana in 2000; in the 2000s its focus shifted to puberty education, internet safety, and bullying prevention. In 2018, it became LifeSmart Youth, Inc. and focused on health and behavior education. The collection consists of board of directors and committee minutes, administrative records, publications, program materials, sex education plans, teaching materials, and audio materials including class instruction, advertisements and radio broadcasts.

Maurice G. Gurin Papers, 1945-1990

1.8 cubic feet (1 record carton and 2 document cases) Collection ID: MSS034
Maurice Gilbert Gurin (1911-1990), was nearly 50 years old in 1959 when he made the career change from public relations to fund raising. Gurin incorporated new and innovative fund raising methods with more traditional techniques and in only 12 years rose from free-lancer fund raising to president of a fund raising firm with offices in New York, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. He continued over the next 30 years to seek creative new answers to old questions, using imaginative new approaches to fund raising focused on individual client needs and making the fund raising plan fit the client rather than the client fit the fund raising plan. The papers consist of correspondence, speeches, published materials, client feasibility studies, and client files.

Oscar McCulloch Papers, 1888-1976

.2 cubic feet (1 half-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS043
Oscar McCulloch was a minister, leader, and an advocate of community betterment through charity and social betterment. Born in Ohio in 1843, McCulloch attended seminary and later settled in Indianapolis as minister at the Plymouth Church on Monument Circle. McCulloch's work with the Charity Organization Society and on the Tribe of Ishmael continued until his death in 1891. The collection contains articles written by and about McCulloch, information about Plymouth Church when McCulloch served as minister, and obituaries.

Independent Sector Records, 1954-2007, bulk 1980-2007

58.8 cubic feet (53 cartons, 6 cassette boxes) Collection ID: MSS046
Independent Sector (IS) was founded in 1980 as a coalition of corporate, foundation and voluntary organizations for the purpose of encouraging charitable giving, volunteering and nonprofit activities in the United States. Its mission is to promote, strengthen, and advance the nonprofit and philanthropic community to foster private initiative for the public good. By 2004, the organization maintained a membership of approximately 500 of the nation's leading nonprofit agencies and funders of nonprofit work. The collection consists of board minutes, committee reports, correspondence, publications, lobbying efforts, and conference materials.