Search

Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Level File Remove constraint Level: File Year Unknown Remove constraint Year: Unknown

Search Results

Sachs-Bauer Family Letters and Documents, 1826-1903

0.57 cubic feet (2 oversized boxes) Collection ID: MSS120
In 1836 German immigrants Philip and Maria Sachs and their two children settled in Indianapolis. Over the years they received letters from family and friends in Germany and in other areas of the United States. These letters provide information about conditions in Germany and about the experiences of German immigrants in the United States.

Otto Stark Collection, 1887-1970

0.4 cubic feet (1 box) Collection ID: MSS075

Polis (Project On-Line Indianapolis Study) Center Records, 1991-2001

50.2 cubic feet (49 record cartons, 3 document cases) Collection ID: UA023

Richard G. Lugar Senatorial Papers: Awards and Memorabilia Collection, 1948-2016, bulk 1968-2012

est. 300 linear feet (154 record cartons, 10 document cartons, 99 oversized boxes, and 1 oversize framed item) Collection ID: MPP 19.(VAE3071)
Richard G. Lugar (1932-2019) represented Indiana in the United States Senate from 1977 to 2012. Prior to being elected to the Senate, Lugar served two terms as Mayor of Indianapolis, from 1968 to 1976. The Awards and Memorabilia series contains two- and three-dimensional objects presented to or collected by Richard G. Lugar to commemorate his major activities and accomplishments from before, during, and after his tenure as a United States Senator. The collection contains items such as campaign memorabilia, political cartoons and posters, plaques, trophies, items of clothing, pieces of dismantled nuclear weapons, and other materials.

Delta Psi Kappa Records, 1916-1999

36 cubic feet (20 Cartons, 10 Flat Boxes , 2 Newspaper Storage Boxes, 1 Folio Box, and 2 Media Boxes (5 cassettes and 2 diskettes)) Collection ID: MSS155
Delta Psi Kappa was a "professional fraternity for women in the fields of health, physical education, and recreation". Founded in 1916 at the Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union, Delta Psi Kappa would eventually spread to a large number of other colleges and universities with programs in the aforementioned fields. Active into the 1990s, the organization remained focused on health and physical education and participated in numerous activities with other organizations who shared their goals.

Renoir mss., ca. 1913-1968

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 2390
Consists primarily of the correspondence and papers of Claude Renoir, 1901-1969, film producer, together with some papers of his better-known filmmaker brother, Jean Renoir, 1894-1979. The correspondence includes letters between the brothers regarding both family and film matters, as well as other business correspondence relating to the various film projects in which Claude and Jean were involved from Nana in 1926 to Opera-Musette in 1942. There are also film scripts and synopses by Claude and by Jean Renoir, financial documents, a film distribution notebook, a notebook of Claude's notes for "Cezanne," and photographs of Claude and Jean Renoir from 1914-1968.

Liberian Government Archives II, 1911-1968

12 cubic feet; (1 document case) Collection ID: LCP2006/003
The collection consists of correspondence, reports, records, minutes, and other miscellaneous manuscript items. These materials are typically either photocopies of items from the Liberian Archives in Monrovia, Liberia, or are typescript copies/notes created by Dr. Holsoe in the course of his research. The collection also includes material from the research notebooks of Dr. Peter Murdza.

Campus Facility Services Records, 1969-2008

17.8 cubic feet (17 record cartons and 2 document cases) Collection ID: UA066

Vincent McGee Papers, 1960-2010

39 cubic feet (39 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS102

Indiana University Vice President for Graduate Development and Dean of the Graduate School records, 1957-1965, bulk 1959-1962

12 cubic feet (12 boxes) Collection ID: C212
Consists of the records of the Vice President for Graduate Development and Dean of the Graduate School organized in six series: Subject files, Committee files, Research, Fellowship files, Conferences, and Correspondence.

Latin American mss. --Mexico II, 1560-1940

7 folios Collection ID: LMC 1621
The Latin American mss. --Mexico II, 1560-1940, consists of individual items acquired separately either as a gift, purchase, transfer, or removal from a variety of sources, complementing the materials in the Latin American mss. Mexico collection. Additions continue to be made.

Bingham, W. mss., 1752-1891

9 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 oversize) Collection ID: LMC 2442
The Bingham, W. mss., 1752-1891, consist of the correspondence, writings, personal and business papers of American statesman William Bingham, 1752-1804.

Allen mss., 800-1972

150 Items Collection ID: LMC 2454
The Allen mss., 800-1972, consists of manuscript pieces collected by William Edward David Allen, 1901-1973, foreign service officer, businessman, and author, and his own writings about Georgian history.

American Turners Records, 1853-2017

33.1 cubic feet (29 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS030
Immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century founded organizations that served as social centers, maintained cultural identity, and promoted the ideals and the interests of the immigrants and their American-born descendants. The American Turners is an example of such an organization. Established by German immigrants in 1850, the American Turners advocated a liberal political philosophy and fought to protect both the political rights and the German heritage of the immigrants. The Turners encouraged the practice of exercise and physical fitness, and they convinced school boards in many cities to make physical education a part of the educational curriculum. The American Turner records include annual reports, minutes and correspondence relating to the national officers, correspondence with local societies, national convention minutes and materials, financial and membership records, national committee records, records and materials from national sporting events sponsored by the American Turners, records of the Turner Pioneers and the Women's Auxiliary, Turner publications, and materials from the German Turner movement and other organizations related to the American Turners.

David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection, 1830-1868

1.6 Cubic Feet (4 legal-sized document cases) Collection ID: MSS183
The David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection contains mostly tract publications from the American Tract Society, the American Sunday School Union, the American Bible Society, and similar nonprofit organizations during the American Civil War. The tracts were used to promote moral and spiritual uplift for soldiers and sailors and to inspire patriotism.

Indianapolis Maennerchor Records, 1866-1991

5 cubic feet (5 cartons, 2 document boxes, 3 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS040
The Indianapolis Maennerchor (men's choir) emerged from a circle of young men who were part of a wave of immigration that followed the failed European revolutions of 1848. From its formal organization in June 1854 and first performance in May 1855, the Maennerchor provided a cultural focus for the 48ers that was as important as the Asound mind and body@ activities of the Turners. After the American Civil War the Maennerchor emerged as one of the most significant German organizations in Indianapolis. By 1900 the apparent cohesiveness of the German community began to fragment when the Maennerchor, and their main patron, John P. Frenzel, began to distance themselves from the new Deutches Haus (German House) constructed by the Socialer Turnverein. This split was emphasized by the construction of Maennerchor Hall in 1907. World War I hurt the German community as a whole, and in combination with the death of Frenzel, the Maennerchor began to struggle. The Depression forced the Maennerchor to leave their hall in the early 1930s and become affiliated with the Athenaeum (Deutches Haus). In 1943 the Maennerchor joined with the Knights of Columbus and Murat Shrine to present a mixed chorus performance known as the Triad Concert that helped to revive awareness and interest in the group. The decline of German societies in Indianapolis during the 1960s led to strains which prompted a break with the Athenaeum in 1973. An attempt to return to the Maennerchor Hall failed when the building was razed in 1974. Through the 1990s they have struggled with membership and financial constraints, but performed until 2018, when they performed for the last time, singing the national anthem at Victory Field.

Athenaeum Turners Records, 1876-2005

14.7 cubic feet (10 cartons, 8 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS032
The Athenaeum Turner organization was founded in 1851 as the Indianapolis Turngemeinde. This athletic and social organization was patterned on German clubs that had supported the 1848 revolutions that attempted to form Liberal republics in several European kingdoms. The men who established the Indianapolis Turngemeinde and the competing Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnverein (merged in 1852 to form the Indianapolis Socialistischer Turnegemiende) tried to create a community focus for the rapidly expanding immigrant population. The activist political backgrounds of many German immigrants led to a strong emphasis on the Turner idea of developing both a strong mind and strong body in order to better serve society. After the American Civil War, for which many Turners volunteered due to anti-slavery beliefs and a desire to demonstrate loyalty to their adopted nation, the reorganized and renamed Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein became the primary focus for German business and culture in the city. Certainly the German House (das Deutsches Haus), built between 1894 and 1898, was designed to serve as more than just a center for physical training since it contained a restaurant, theaters, and a number of meeting rooms. From the 1890s, the leaders of the Turner organization were also directors or important officers in dozens of prominent businesses and cultural organizations. This led to some overlap in the interaction between public, private, and political affairs in the German community of Indianapolis - and this is reflected in the collection. The outbreak of World War I and the anti-German sentiment which followed led to a renaming of the building (as the Athenaeum) and contributed to a decline in the importance of the Turnverein. The organization, now known as the Athenaeum Turners, experienced a revival during the 1950s and remained active into the 1960s, though its activities gradually became more social and less athletic. By the 1970s American acculturation and suburbanization resulted in a rapid decline in membership and financial stability and the near collapse of the Turner society. It currently exists solely as a German cultural organization. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, board and committee minutes, correspondence, officer and committee reports, financial records, membership lists, event advertisements, brochures, newsletters and photographs.

Oscar F. Frenzel Collection, 1876-1904

14.4 cubic feet (4 boxes, 27 flat boxes) Collection ID: Mss070

Wiggs mss., 1874-1936

32 Items (1 box; 1 folio) Collection ID: LMC 2120
The Wiggs mss., 1874-1936, are the papers of George Washington Wiggs, 1853-1938, grain dealer on the Chicago Board of Trade, member of the Press Club of Chicago, and an Indiana University graduate of 1874.

Oscar McCulloch Papers, 1888-1976

.2 cubic feet (1 half-sized document case) Collection ID: MSS043
Oscar McCulloch was a minister, leader, and an advocate of community betterment through charity and social betterment. Born in Ohio in 1843, McCulloch attended seminary and later settled in Indianapolis as minister at the Plymouth Church on Monument Circle. McCulloch's work with the Charity Organization Society and on the Tribe of Ishmael continued until his death in 1891. The collection contains articles written by and about McCulloch, information about Plymouth Church when McCulloch served as minister, and obituaries.

Athenaeum Damenverein and Women's Auxiliary Records, 1876-2007

4.4 cubic feet (3 cartons, 1 document box, 2 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS039
This women's organization was founded by the Socialer Turnverein (Social Athletic Club) in 1876 as the Indianapolis Turn-Schwestern Verein. It was initially intended to support the activities of the Turnverein, and especially to promote and oversee the girls' athletic classes, and to help enlarge and preserve the Turner library. Within a few years the Turn Sisters became known as the Damenverein (Women's Club) des Socialer Turnverein and began to undertake broader responsibilities in the community. As with most German societies, membership declined during World War I and use of the German language was dropped. The organization revived with the merging of several societies during the 1930s and becomes known as the Women's Auxiliary. Membership increased again after World War II as their focus drifted away from a wartime role as a service organization and more towards social activities. The gradual decline of the Athenaeum Turners through the 1970s and 1980s also affected the Women's Auxiliary. In the 1990s the Damenverein name was restored to recognize the earlier German connections, and in recent years the very limited activities of the group have become more closely linked with their German-American cultural identity. The records consist of constitutions and by-laws, minutes, correspondence, financial records, committee reports, membership lists and directories, event advertisements and photographs.

Indiana University President's Office records, 1893-1902

22.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C174
Joseph Swain was president of Indiana University from 1893-1902. Organized in two series, the collection primarily consists of incoming correspondence during Swain's tenure. Included are several prominent IU professors such as William Lowe Bryan, David Starr Jordan, and Carl H. Eigenmann as well as a number of well-known public figures.

Ars Femina Archive, 1500-1800

75 Items (3 boxes) Collection ID: AF2019
Collection of musical scores and microfilm reels, of women composers between 1500 and 1800. Condition of the materials is good.

School of Science Records, 1966-2016

58 cubic feet (58 record cartons) Collection ID: UA054

Indiana University College of Liberal Arts Dean's records, 1909-1915, bulk 1910-1913

1.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C189
During the early years of its existence, aside from a small Law School, Indiana University consisted solely of a College of Liberal Arts (became College of Arts and Sciences in 1921). Horace Hoffman, professor of Greek, served as the first Dean of the College 1894-1920. Collection consists primarily of incoming correspondence from former and proprospectivepective I.U. students. Most of the correspondence consists of inquiries about entrance to the university, transfers, and requests for transcripts or catalogs. The collection is not complete as it ends with the "M" correspondents.

American Turners Local Societies Collection, 1866-2016

10.2 cubic feet (8 cartons and 4 flat boxes) Collection ID: MSS038
Many Germans immigrated to the United States following the failure of an 1848 revolution designed to introduce democratic reforms into the governments of the German states. Among these immigrants were members of the Turners, an athletic and political organization founded in Germany during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Turners quickly established societies (known as Turnverein or Turngemeinde) in the American cities in which they settled. These societies served as athletic, political, and social centers for German communities in the United States. The Turners' most important contribution to American life in their communities has been their advocacy of physical education and fitness. Turners successfully lobbied local school boards in many cities for the inclusion of physical education classes in the curriculum, and Turner instructors served as the directors of physical education programs in many school systems in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Nutrition and Dietetics, Department of, 1920-2000

1.3 cubic feet (1 record carton, 1 flat box ) Collection ID: UA102
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at Indiana University Purdue University- Indianapolis (IUPUI) was founded in 1918. The department offered a graduate-level dietetic internship program where interns worked at Indiana University Medical Center and Riley Hospital for Children.

Department of Occupational Therapy Records, 1927-1976

2.4 cubic feet (3 document cases, 3 flat boxes) Collection ID: UA056

Sigma Theta Tau International, Alpha Chapter Records, 1920s - 2012

5 cubic feet (5 cartons) Collection ID: MSS112
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship, and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. Alpha Chapter, at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the founding chapter of STTI.

Laura Boulton Collection, 1916-1992

170 Boxes Collection ID: ATM Manuscript Collection 1.(MC 1)
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, and other written materials related to Laura Boulton's career. The majority of the papers are from the 1920s-1970s. This collection also includes newspaper clippings and other ephemera, as well as descriptive notes for field recordings and photographs made by Boulton.

Office of the Chancellor Records, 1914-2017

371 cubic feet (371 cartons, 1 document box, 1 flat box) Collection ID: UA041
This collection contains the records of the Office of the Chancellor. The chancellor is the chief executive officer of IUPUI and oversees the development and the operation of the campus. In 1974 the chancellor received the additional title of vice president of Indiana University and in the title was changed to executive vice president of Indiana University. The chancellor is also IUPUI's principal representative to the general community.

National FFA Organization Records, 1916-2008

145.2 cubic feet (104 cartons, 20 flat boxes, 5 cassette boxes, 3 document boxes, 166 videotapes, 58 films) Collection ID: MSS035
The National FFA Organization, originally called the Future Farmers of America, was founded in 1928 as a national organization for boys in rural, farming communities. Its original purpose, the education of youth in agricultural fields of study, is still recognized through its current programs. Today, the mission of the National FFA Organization is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agricultural education. Through educational programs the FFA teaches students how to become active in their communities and successful in their occupation. FFA membership includes junior high, high school, and college students and totals approximately 450,000. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, newsletters, publications, reports, audio cassettes, video cassettes, and photographs.

Kenneth P. Williams papers, 1772-1963, bulk 1934-1945

5.4 cubic feet Collection ID: C193
Williams taught mathematics at Indiana University for nearly 50 years however, he was best known for his multi-volume work, Lincoln Finds a General, 1949. Williams was also the first commander of the Student Army Training Corps, later to be known as The Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) at Indiana University.

Frasier mss., 1934-2014

22 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2962
The Frasier mss., 1934-2014, consist of David K. Frasier's research materials, drafts, and related correspondence for his encyclopedias of show-business homicide and suicide as well as his biography/bibliography of Russ Meyer. Also included is correspondence with and writings about serial killer John Wayne Gacy and filmmaker Kenneth Anger.

Organization of American Historians Records, 1906-2019

227 cubic feet (187 cartons, 34 document boxes, 13 flat boxes, 73 optical discs, 70 floppy disks, 36 rolls of microfilm, 15 audio cassettes, 2 videotapes) Collection ID: MSS027
The Organization of American Historians (OAH) was founded in 1907 under the name the Mississippi Valley Historical Association (MVHA). The founders created a historical organization that encouraged research and study of the area that made up the Mississippi Valley. In 1913 it began to sponsor a scholarly journal, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review. The organization eventually outgrew its brand name as a regional association by gaining members throughout the country. The organization officially changed its name to the Organization of American Historians in 1965. Today, the OAH is a national organization with a worldwide membership promoting American history research.

Rosenberg mss., 1938-1982

1 Box (1 standard) Collection ID: LMC 1931
The Rosenberg mss., ca. 1938-1982, consist of letters from film critic and reviewer Pauline Kael, 1919-2001, to longtime friend Violet Rosenberg.

Folklore and Ethnomusicology Publications records, 1942-2004, bulk 1968-2004

14 cubic feet (14 boxes) Collection ID: C302
Folklore and Ethnomusicology Publications, Inc. was created in 1988 as the umbrella organization for four Indiana University Folklore Institute student publications groups. It encompasses Folklore Forum Society, Folklore Publications Group, Trickster Press, and Ethnomusicology Publications Group. This collection contains mostly articles submitted for publication in the various Folklore and Ethnomusicology publications as well as the journals produced by the different titles.

Indiana University Department of Radio and Television Chair's records, 1939-1963, bulk 1945-1952

14.8 cubic feet (16 boxes) Collection ID: C104
In 1938, Indiana University began to engage in radio activities. A room was set aside for use as a studio and control room, and a radio director and program director were hired. For years, radio classes were taught through several already established departments such as Speech and Journalism. At the Board of Trustees September 20, 1945 meeting, they approved the establishment of a Dept. of Radio as an "unattached" department under the Dean of Faculties. In 1953 it became the Department of Radio and Television within the College of Arts and Sciences and in 1974 the Department of Telecommunications. This collection contains the department chair's records from 1939-1963 and is comprised of correspondence, budgetary information, annual reports, information on various radio and television stations, and subject files. Records span the tenures of chairs Harry Skornia (1942-1953) and Elmer Sulzer (1954-1964).

Barnstone mss., 1948-2015

65 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2343
The Barnstone mss., 1948-2015, consists of the papers of poet and translator Willis Barnstone, 1927-.

Wheeler Mission Ministries Records, 1904-1992

23.0 cubic feet (19 cartons, 2 document boxes, 439 photographs, 48 cassette tapes, 2 films, and 2 filmstrips) Collection ID: MSS016
Wheeler Mission Ministries is a charitable organization serving the material and spiritual needs of poor individuals and families in Indianapolis, Indiana through Christian evangelism and conversion. Begun in 1893 as a home for unwed mothers by the Meridian Union of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, it was expanded by William Vincent Wheeler later that year to include a Rescue Mission. Coupling its charitable work with programs to develop a sense of self-sufficiency among the poor, Wheeler Mission was among the city's first charitable operations of its kind and continues to serve the needy of Indianapolis. The records, 1904-1992, consist of the administrative files which contain the correspondence and subject files of superintendents Herbert E. Eberhardt and Leonard C. Hunt, financial files, documentation of Wheeler Mission Associated Groups, printed materials, some research materials from the Door of Hope publication, photographs and audio/visual materials.

Boxer mss. III, 1647-1999

26 Linear Feet (20 boxes, 3 oversize) Collection ID: LMC 3012
The Boxer mss. III, 1647-1999, consists of the correspondence, papers and memorabilia of historian Charles R. Boxer, 1904-2000.

Sonneborn mss., 1922-1981

67 Boxes (62 standard, 5 custom) Collection ID: LMC 2167
The Sonneborn mss., 1922-1981, consists of the papers of American biologist Tracy Morton Sonneborn, 1905-1981.

Robert E. Nelson Papers, 1950-2008

18 cubic feet (18 record cartons) Collection ID: MSS093
Robert Eddinger Nelson, a pioneer in the field of higher education fund raising and development, was born in Rochester, Indiana on March 2, 1928. In 1969 he founded Robert E. Nelson Associates, Inc. as a consulting firm to advise colleges and universities in development and fund raising. He remained active in the field as a consultant, a speaker, a board member, and as a member of several university development associations until his retirement. Robert Nelson died in 2012. The Robert E. Nelson Papers consist mainly of Robert Nelson's correspondence and speech files. The collection also includes administrative files from Robert E. Nelson Associates and correspondence and administrative files from the Pith Helmet Society and the Have A Heart Foundation.

Public Welfare Foundation Records, 1917-2007

408 cubic feet (403 cartons, 4 flat boxes, 1 cassette box) Collection ID: MSS063
In 1947 Charles Edward Marsh founded the Public Welfare Foundation to render direct financial assistance to the needy. His purpose, to offer the greatest good to the greatest number of people, symbolized the efforts of the foundation he created. His method of distributing money, called the agent system, dispersed financial assistance to provide for the immediate needs of individuals. As tax laws required more detailed reporting, the foundation began to phase out the agent system and created a more formal method of receiving proposals from organizations worldwide. With a commitment to supporting organizations that help people overcome barriers to full participation in society, the foundation had distributed more than $400 million in grants by 2007. Its purpose continues in the spirit of Charles Marsh to focus on "ensuring the fundamental rights and opportunities for people in need."

Indiana University School of Letters Director's records, 1947-1979

3.8 cubic feet (5 boxes) Collection ID: C36
The School of Letters was originally created by John Crowe Ransom, F.O. Matthiessen, and Lionel Trilling as a part of the School of English at Kenyon College. When support from the Rockefeller Foundation ended, the program moved to Indiana University in the summer of 1951. Collection consists of the records of the Director of the School of Letters 1947-1979, organized in four series. The bulk of the collection is comprised of office files and correspondence between director Newton P. Stallknecht and faculty and guest lecturers. Prominent correspondents include a number of famous American poets and critics such as Randall Jarrell and John Crowe Ransom, as well as noted foreign scholars including the French existentialist philosopher Jean Wahl. Also included in the collection are a sample of student files and files representing Stallknecht's general university activities in his role as director of the School of Letters.

Great Lakes-Ohio Valley Ethnohistorical Research Project records, 1869-1969, bulk 1953-1965

3 cubic feet Collection ID: C105
Collection consists of 3 cubic feet of records created by Charles F. Voegelin and Erminie Wheeler-Voegelin for their Great Lakes - Ohio Valley Ethnohistorical Research Project. Prominently featured in the collection are correspondence and reports prepared for the U.S. Dept. of Justice.

Edward and Naomi Feil paper collection, 1937-2011

15 Boxes Collection ID: VAE3471
The Edward and Naomi Feil collection, 1937-2011, consist of papers, scripts, correspondence, business records, production materials, ephemera, photographs, and films created by Edward and Naomi Feil. Contents are both of a personal nature as well as related to the business Edward Feil Productions and gerontological research of Naomi Feil.

Norvelle mss. II, 1920-1981

7 Boxes Collection ID: LMC 2395
The Norvelle mss. II, 1920-1981, consist of the papers of Lee Roy Norvelle, 1892-1984, Professor Emeritus of Speech and Theatre at Indiana University. Present are correspondence, travel memorabilia, the typescript and galleys for Professor Norvelle's autobiography, The Road Taken (IU Foundation, 1980), and five reels of tape recordings.

Indianapolis Foundation Records, 1916-2000

60 cubic feet (25 cartons, 50 document boxes, 20 flat boxes, 1 videocassette) Collection ID: MSS049
The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would "be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable uses as well in its judgment promote the welfare of persons now or hereafter residing in Indianapolis, Indiana." The foundation began making grants in 1924 and today continues to give to Indianapolis organizations to help improve the quality of life in the city.