IUPUI General Collections
IUPUI University Library
755 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, United StatesVisit the Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives
The General Collections include the records and papers of organizations and individuals with ties to the University and/or Indianapolis.
World War I and World War II necessitated the expansion not only of the combat forces of the U.S. military but also of its medical services. To help meet this need, medical schools and the American Red Cross sponsored the creation of hospital units. The Indianapolis medical community followed this trend during both wars. In 1917, the Indianapolis Chapter of the American Red Cross established the unit eventually designated Base Hospital 32. Almost all of the doctors, nurses, and enlisted men originally assigned to the unit came from Indianapolis or central Indiana. In 1942, the Indiana University Medical Center set up the 32nd General Hospital. Named in honor of its World War I predecessor, this unit drew most of its original medical and nursing staffs from the IU Medical Center. Both units served in Europe. The records consist of photocopies of unit files of the 32nd General Hospital; unit histories, scrapbooks, and personal reminiscences compiled after the wars; records relating to reunions held by members of the 32nd General Hospital, photographs, an 8mm film of the 32nd General Hospital and two videotape copies of the film.
Collection ID: MSS015
Harry Allen Davis, Jr., Indiana artist and Herron School of Art professor, was born in Hillsboro, Indiana in 1914 and moved to Brownsburg, Indiana in 1920. In 1938, he graduated from the John Herron Art Institute and won the Prix de Rome in Painting. After studying at the American Academy in Rome and briefly teaching at Beloit College, he joined the Army in 1942 and was a combat artist in Europe in World War II. When the war was over, Davis took a position teaching drawing and painting at the Herron School of Art. There, he met Lois Irene Peterson from LaPorte, Indiana and the two married in 1947. They had two children together. Harry Davis was a professor at the Herron School of Art until his retirement in 1983. As an artist, he was known for his series of paintings featuring older American and more specifically, Hoosier, buildings and structures. Harry Davis died in 2006. The Harry and Lois Davis Papers consist mainly of Harry Davis's correspondence and exhibition files, as well as scrapbooks and news clippings about Harry and Lois Davis and about Herron faculty and alumni. Also included are a journal and travel documents from his time at the American Academy and a memoir from the war.
Collection ID: MSS104
After several years of efforts on the part of its founders, the Indiana Chapter of the Special Libraries Association was created in 1941 to address the needs of special libraries in the state, recruit new professionals to the field, establish standards and provide a venue for professional discussion and cooperation, and host programs and annual meetings for library professionals. This collection houses the records of the organization from its earliest beginnings in 1936, through its founding and operation into the late 1990s.
Collection ID: MSS134
Julia M. Carson (July 8, 1938-December 15, 2007) was the first woman and African-American to represent Indianapolis and the second African-American (after Katie Hall of Gary, Indiana) to represent Indiana in the United States House of Representatives, serving from 1997 until her death. Prior to entering Congress, Carson, a Democrat, served as a state representative and a state senator in the Indiana General Assembly and as Center Township trustee in Marion County, Indiana. The collection is composed primarily of Carson's records from her years in Congress, including biographical materials, committee records, legislative records, subject files, caucus records, meetings and events records, speeches, correspondence, press releases, newsletters, and flyers, office administration records, and audiovisual materials.
Collection ID: MSS079
Larry Allyn Conrad, civic and political leader, was born in Laconia, Indiana in 1935, to Ruby Rooksby Conrad and Marshall Conrad. He graduated from Ball State University and married Mary Lou Hoover in 1957. He received an LL.B from Indiana University- Indianapolis School of Law in 1961. His political career began in 1962, when he successfully managed Birch Bayh's campaign for the United States Senate. Bayh subsequently hired Conrad first as his legislative assistant and later as Chief Counsel of the Senate Subcommittee on Constitutional Amendments. Conrad is considered the chief architect of the 25th Amendment. In 1969 Conrad moved back to Indiana, and campaigned successfully for the office of Secretary of State, a position he held from 1970 to 1978. Conrad campaigned twice, unsuccessfully, in Indiana's gubernatorial race. In 1972, he lost the Democratic nomination in the primary to former governor Matt Welsh. In 1976, he won the nomination but lost the race to Republican incumbent Otis "Doc" Bowen. In 1979 Conrad entered private practice with Raymond Hafsten, specializing in governmental affairs. In 1983 he became Vice-President of Corporate Affairs for Melvin Simon and Associates, Indianapolis based shopping center developers. Conrad promoted Indianapolis tirelessly. He planned the opening ceremonies for the National Sports Festival in 1982, and the opening and closing ceremonies of the Tenth Pan American Games in 1987. In addition, he was involved in a variety of civic and philanthropic endeavors. Conrad left the Simons in 1989 to form a political consulting firm, The Conrad Group. He died in Lyon, France, the following year. Conrad's papers consist mainly of scrapbooks, political campaign files and memorabilia, business files, files on his civic and philanthropic endeavors, and miscellaneous personal information. Also included are: reel to reel films, audio and video tapes, and limited information from his time spent working for Birch Bayh.
Collection ID: MSS008
The National Council on Public History (NCPH) was formed in 1979 to meet the needs of historians practicing history outside the traditional realms of academia. The NCPH acts as a mechanism for bringing this diverse group of professionals together through programs; a scholarly journal, The Public Historian; workshops and seminars; and an annual conference. A membership organization, governed by a board of directors and operated by an executive secretary, the NCPH continues to serve a diverse audience. This collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, papers, publications, and audio tapes.
Collection ID: MSS021
This collection is photographic documentary of scenes and places from the perspective of Neil E. Matthew, a professor of the Herron School of Art at IUPUI. He was a painter first while an undergraduate at Arizona State University. He then studied photography under Henry Holmes Smith at Indiana University. His photography, as described by its creator, is "the painter as photographic tourist." It is straight representational photography of the landscape and buildings seen during his travels throughout the United States and Europe.With the exception of one carton, all of the photographs are available online.
Collection ID: MSS053
The Organization of American Historians (OAH) was founded in 1907 under the name the Mississippi Valley Historical Association (MVHA). The founders created a historical organization that encouraged research and study of the area that made up the Mississippi Valley. In 1913 it began to sponsor a scholarly journal, The Mississippi Valley Historical Review. The organization eventually outgrew its brand name as a regional association by gaining members throughout the country. The organization officially changed its name to the Organization of American Historians in 1965. Today, the OAH is a national organization with a worldwide membership promoting American history research.
Collection ID: MSS027
This collection contains the information compiled by Sara Sanderson for an article based on a diary written by Marguerite Richey in 1928 while in New York City with her husband, Oakley Richey. Oakley Richey was a Herron School of Art graduate and instuctor. The diary was discovered by Sara Sanderson who subsequently researched and wrote an article based on the diary.
Collection ID: MSS056
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship, and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. Alpha Chapter, at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the founding chapter of STTI.
Collection ID: MSS112
Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) is an honor society for nurses committed to fostering excellence, scholarship and leadership in nursing to improve health care worldwide. STTI is a society of nursing leaders who are active in research, education, and practice in the field. As an honor society, it recognizes those who excel in their field and emphasizes the importance of continued professional enhancement. The International Center for Nursing Scholarship, located on the campus of Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the headquarters of STTI.
Collection ID: MSS051
Sigma Xi. The Scientific Research Society of North America. Indiana University Medical Center (Indianapolis, Ind.). Chapter 175 Records, 1961-1989
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Indiana University Medical Center, Chapter 175, established on January 27, 1961, as an honor society of scientists. The chapter holds annual meetings, sponsors lectures, and awards undergraduate and graduate students for excellence in research. The records contain the Chapter's constitutions and bylaws, meeting and committee minutes, membership applications, handbook, and manual, financial reports, meeting and lecture programs, and copies of the national newsletter, Sigma Xi Newsletter.
Collection ID: MSS012
Trudy Banta is an educator and administrator in the field of higher education outcomes assessment. She retired from her position as Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs and the Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Academic Planning and Evaluation at IUPUI in 2016. Banta spent her career as a leader in higher education assessment, authoring numerous books and journal articles, consulting at campuses all over the country, and developing and coordinating 45 national and international conferences. The Trudy W. Banta Papers consists mainly of Banta's records from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and IUPUI. It includes reports, conference papers, and articles that Banta authored or co-authored; workbooks, brochures, and notes from conferences she attended or at which she presented; and records of her consulting work at campuses around the country.
Collection ID: MSS126