IUPUI Philanthropic Studies Archives
755 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, United StatesVisit the Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives
The Philanthropic Studies Archives documents the history of the philanthropic tradition, including the historical records of nonprofit organizations, advocates for the nonprofit sector, fundraising firms, private foundations, individual philanthropists, and organizations and individuals involved in national service theory and practice.
Adam Yarmolinsky Papers, 1973-1977
In 1973, the Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was formed to study the relationships between foundations, the government, and the public. To meet the needs of this study the Commission contracted with several individuals to do research and write papers. Adam Yarmolinsky served as both a researcher/author and a special consultant to the Commission. This collection includes the correspondence and papers of Adam Yarmolinsky related to his service to the Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs.
Collection ID: MSS026
Altrusa International, Inc. of Indianapolis Records, 1917-1997
Altrusa International, Inc. is an international service organization for professional and executive business women with membership on a limited classification basis. The National Association of Altrusa Clubs, founded in 1917 as Altrusa Institute, was the first national organization of business and professional women. In 1935 Altrusa became international and the name was changed to International Association of Altrusa Clubs, Inc. The organization's name was changed again in June 1947, to Altrusa International, Inc. The Indianapolis Altrusa Club was formed in April 1917. Its programs and activities have included vocational education and guidance, senior citizens programs, civic service and community service projects, financial assistance for graduate women from other countries and literacy related programs. The organization's objectives are to cultivate friendly relationships and solidarity among business and professional women to encourage mutual helpfulness; to provide vocational information and service to women of all ages; to encourage members to actively participate in community, national and international affairs, and to promote educational and cultural training. The records consist of legal documents, board and committee records, meeting files, financial records, correspondence, publications, special event materials, scrapbooks, news clippings and photographs.
Collection ID: MSS009
American City Bureau Records, 1919-1995
American City Bureau, a fundraising consulting firm, works with not for profit organizations to design and run fund raising campaigns. Established in 1913 by Edgar and Harold Buttenheim, the company merged with Beaver and Associates in 1963. The firm has worked on capital campaigns on the national and local level. American City Bureau has been instrumental in developing campaigns for organizations such as the Young Men's Christian Association,(YMCA), the Young Women's Christian Association, (YWCA), United Fund, and the Salvation Army. The records detail the fund raising efforts and campaigns of the American City Bureau and its predecessor origins. It consists of 4 page reports of campaigns from Howard T. Beaver Associates, (later Beaver and Associates) from 1936-1963, campaign information from American City Bureau from 1944 -1995, conference addresses and programs, from 1938-1978, promotional materials and publications from 1919- 1973, and their newsletter, Bureau News from 1920-1976.
Collection ID: MSS052
America's Promise Alliance Records, 1992-2019
America's Promise - The Alliance for Youth was founded at the Presidents' Summit for America's Future in 1997. The Five Promises to children are at the core of America's Promise and are as follows: Caring Adults; Safe Places; a Healthy Start; Marketable Skills; and Opportunities to Serve.
Collection ID: MSS164
Anna Margaret Ross Alexander Papers, 1955-1994
Anna Margaret Ross Alexander (1913-1995) was an Indianapolis civic leader, and member and president of the Indianapolis Board of School Commissioners from 1966-1970 during the period when desegregation, integration of the teaching staff, and busing was initiated. Mrs. Alexander was an active member in diverse civic organizations, but the records collected mainly reflect her tenure on the School Board.
Collection ID: MSS014
Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) Records, 1970-2010
The Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) was founded in 1971 by David Horton Smith and Bill Ready as the Association for Voluntary Action Scholars (AVAS). Their vision was to create an independent and impartial forum for researchers in the fledgling field of voluntary action and citizen participation. Major activities have included an annual conference and the publication of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (NVSQ), formerly the Journal of Voluntary Action Research (JVAR); Citizen Participation and Voluntary Action Abstracts (CPVAA); and a newsletter. The organization's name change in 1991 signified diversification of the original mission, which now includes expanded outreach to researchers on nonprofit organizations and from previously neglected academic disciplines. The records consist of board and committee materials, correspondence, financial and administrative records, journals and newsletters, journal manuscript submissions, conference programs and proceedings, and grant proposals.
Collection ID: MSS003
Association of Fundraising Professionals Records, 1960-1999
The National Society of Fund Raisers was organized in New York City in 1960 to serve as the professional association for fund raisers in America. The organization changed its name to the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE) in the mid-1970s, and at about the same time hired its first executive director. In 1993 NSFRE had 15,903 individual members in 131 chapters, and maintained a national office in Alexandria, Virginia. Its name was again changed January 1, 2001, to the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Since its beginnings, the NSFRE has worked to promote professional and ethical standards through annual conferences, seminars, and publications. In the late 1970s, it instituted a program of certification for fund raising executives, and it has been active in supporting research and publicity on the role of philanthropy in American life.
Collection ID: MSS041
Beldon Fund Records, 1954-2015
The Beldon Fund was created in 1978 by environmental philanthropist John R. Hunting as a national foundation focused on advocating for environmental policy. From 1982 to 1998, the Beldon Fund provided grants to organizations like American Environment Inc., the Clean Water Fund, the Ohio Environmental Council, and the Idaho Conservation League. In 1998, John Hunting sold his stock in Steelcase Inc. and endowed Beldon with $100 million, prompting him to rethink the direction of the foundation. Hunting believed that increasing global warming and environmental destruction required immediate attention, and so he planned a ten-year spend-out of the Beldon Fund. Initially, Beldon made grants in five program areas, but in 2001, feedback indicated their scope was too broad for their spend-out timeframe. Beldon refocused into two program areas—the Key States program and the Human Health and the Environment program. The Beldon Fund made its last grants in June 2008 and closed its doors in 2009, after the completion of the spend-out. Over the last ten years of the fund, Beldon spent $120 million in grants and projects. The Beldon Fund Records consist of grant proposals, grant reports, notification of grants, board minutes, executive director records, financial and administrative records, and correspondence.
Collection ID: MSS085
Bill Heim Company Records, 1964-1998
The Bill Heim Company provides management and fundraising advice to the leaders of American not-for-profit organizations. The company counsels staff and volunteers at schools, colleges, and universities; historical societies; cultural arts, youth, business, professional, and sports organizations; and foundations. The company's services are used for designing and directing fundraising and membership campaigns, expanding membership, and for program development. The collection contains correspondence, survey reports, speeches, and publications.
Collection ID: MSS036
Boone County Red Cross Scrapbooks, 1941-1983
The Boone County Red Cross Scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings, letters, postcards, and photographs related to the work of the Boone County chapter of the Red Cross.
Collection ID: MSS108
Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis Records, 1895-2002
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis is a social service organization focusing on youth in Indianapolis. The organization started in 1893 as the Newsboy's Home. Founders of the home were Thomas C. Day; Caleb S. Denny, three term mayor of Indianapolis; Carrie Lowe Denny, his wife; and M.V. McGilliard, a local philanthropist. Today the Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis operate ten clubs: five in clubhouse facilities and five clubs based at Indianapolis Public Schools. These clubs are strategically located in the city to serve the most at-risk youth. Programs offered by the organization's professional staff and volunteers include counseling, career development, cultural enrichment, social recreation, citizenship and leadership development, and individual and team sports. The records consist of association and individual club materials and include board of director's minutes, events and activities, fundraising and publicity, annual reports, individual club files, record books, photographs, and videos.
Collection ID: MSS037
Bruner Foundation Records, 1980-1995
The Bruner Foundation was founded in 1963 using funds donated by Rudy and Martha Bruner. The foundation began with the purpose of aiding programs in health care and preventive medicine, and programs focused on Jewish concerns. Since the 1980s, the Bruner Foundation has broadened its purpose to include educational programs, evaluation of grant programs, and urban renovation. Today, the main activity of the foundation is the Rudy Bruner Award for Excellence in the Urban Environment, given every two years. The records consist mainly of the Bruner Foundation's activities since 1965. These documents include board minutes, grant records, educational programs, correspondence, conference proceedings, and the records of the Rudy Bruner Award for Excellence in the Urban Environment.
Collection ID: MSS018
Carol Bernstein Ferry and W. H. Ferry Papers, 1971-1997
Carol Bernstein Ferry and the late W. H. (Ping) Ferry were social change philanthropists who gave away a substantial part of their personal wealth to progressive social change groups, activities, and activists concentrating generally in the areas of war, racism, poverty, and injustice. The Ferrys were also board members of the DJB Foundation, established by Carol's first husband, Daniel J. Bernstein, which focused its giving in similar areas. The papers, 1971-1996, document the individuals, organizations, and activities the Ferrys supported with their donations.
Collection ID: MSS006
Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy Records (Peterson Commission), 1949-1970
The Commission on Foundations and Private Philanthropy was formed by John D. Rockefeller, III, in 1969, and chaired by Peter Peterson, to objectively investigate foundations and their role in society. The Peterson Commission, as it was known, was designed to be influenced by neither the government nor the foundations they investigated. An objective appraisal of foundation activities was necessary to give the Commission the credibility it needed to influence Congress' decisions on foundation activities. By researching the roles of foundations in society, the members hoped to construct policy recommendations that made foundations more accountable while allowing them to maintain their independence from outside interference. This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, the House of Representatives and Senate Hearings on the Tax Reform Law, and the foundation research collected by the commission that includes annual reports, surveys, articles, and correspondence.
Collection ID: MSS023
Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs Records (Filer Commission), 1964-1980
The Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs was founded in November 1973 through the efforts of John D. Rockefeller, III, House Ways and Means Chairman Wilbur D. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury George P. Shultz, and Under Secretary William E. Simon. The Commission was formed to study the role of philanthropic giving in the United States and to make recommendations regarding ways to strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the voluntary sector. Composed of religious and labor leaders, former cabinet members, executives of foundations and corporations, federal judges, and representatives of several minority groups, the Commission sought to reach its goal through research and debate. The findings and recommendations of the Commission were published in a final report entitled, Giving in America: Toward a Stronger Voluntary Sector. This collection contains board and advisory records including meeting minutes and correspondence, committee recommendations, and research materials that include surveys, conferences, reports, foundation annual reports, and Senate Finance Hearings.
Collection ID: MSS024
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Records, 1913-2002
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) is an organization formed by the 1975 merger of the American Alumni Council (AAC) and the American College Public Relations Association (ACPRA). Constituents of both groups believed their goal of increasing the professional competence of those individuals involved in all phases of alumni work including, alumni administration, educational fund raising, public relations and publications in order to promote the cause of education could be better achieved as a single entity. The collection contains the records of CASE and its predecessor institutions covering the development of the early organizations and their merger to form the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
Collection ID: MSS002
David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection, 1830-1868
The David Hovde Civil War Tract Collection contains mostly tract publications from the American Tract Society, the American Sunday School Union, the American Bible Society, and similar nonprofit organizations during the American Civil War. The tracts were used to promote moral and spiritual uplift for soldiers and sailors and to inspire patriotism.
Collection ID: MSS183
David Reingold Papers, 1991-2009
David Reingold is the current Justin S. Morrill Dean of Liberal Arts and Professor of Sociology at Purdue University. This collection primarily focuses on his time working with the Corporation for National and Community Service as Director of Research and Policy Development where he was responsible for managing the agencies research and evaluation portfolio, providing consultation to the CEO on policy development, and working with the White House on the President's USA Freedom Corps initiative. This collection includes paper records as well as digital records.
Collection ID: MSS148
DJB Foundation Records, 1971-1975
The DJB Foundation, a progressive social change philanthropy, was founded in 1948 by Daniel J. Bernstein to hold the portion of his inheritance intended for donation to charities. With his death in 1970 almost five-million dollars came to the foundation. Its most active period began in 1971 when the Board of Directors decided that all assets would be given away within ten years. The grants concentrated on groups and programs generally ignored by conventional foundations because they were "controversial" -- the poor, GIs, deserters and draft resisters, ethnic groups, convicts and ex-convicts. The DJB Foundation exhausted its funds by the end of 1974. The DJB Foundation Records consist of financial summaries and grant files containing correspondence, proposals, and information about the recipient organization.
Collection ID: MSS010
Flanner House (Indianapolis, Ind.) Records, 1936-1992
Flanner House, a social service center for the Indianapolis, Indiana African-American community, promotes the social, moral, and physical welfare of African-Americans, particularly youth. It was established in 1898 by Frank Flanner, a local mortician, under the name of Flanner Guild and was the first settlement house for African-Americans in the city. Programs and activities have included a day nursery, training for men and women, self-help projects such as housing construction, and public health programs including preventive medicine. Its current mission offers area residents a variety of direct and decentralized social services, child care, youth and senior citizen programs, and cultural and recreational activities. The records consist of board and committee records, correspondence, financial records, various programs and project records including reports and project descriptions offered by Flanner House, publications, photographs, slides and audio programs.
Collection ID: MSS004
George A. Brakeley, Jr. Papers, 1928-1995
George A. Brakeley, Jr., has been involved in the business of providing counsel to fund raising entities since 1934. In that year, he joined the firm for which his father was Senior Vice-President, the John Price Jones Company, Inc. (JPJ). Brakeley and JPJ developed "Survey, Analysis and Plan" reports for groups seeking to begin a fund raising campaign. In the 1940's, Brakeley began developing a campaign for a Canadian client, McGill University, which led to the creation of John Price Jones Company (Canada), Ltd., headed by Brakeley. A few years later, in the mid-1950's, he started a firm, G. A. Brakeley Company (GABCO). This company was extremely successful, and by the late 1960's had offices on both U.S. coasts and in Canada. Brakeley continued his association with JPJ during this period, however, as well as developing smaller ventures such as Brakeley and Roberts Ltd. (a public relations firm in Canada), and the Robert Johnston Company (headed by an associate of Brakeley). In 1972, GABCO and JPJ officially merged to become Brakeley, John Price Jones, Inc. (BJPJ), with Brakeley as Chairman of the Board. In 1983, George A. Brakeley III and other senior officers of BJPJ bought the controlling interest of the company, although Brakeley Jr. stayed on as Chairman until 1986. A year later he was named Senior Consultant, a title he still holds. The Brakeley papers consist of client files of seven companies associated with Brakeley, staff training materials, publications and marketing materials, manuscripts, study reports, magazine and journal articles, speech transcriptions, and staff memoranda.
Collection ID: MSS013
Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis, Inc. Records, 1968-2006
The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis, Inc. is committed to improving the health of community through funding qualified agencies and organizations that provide health related services primarily to low-income population of Indianapolis. Its mission is to improve the social, physical and mental health of the community. It was originally founded in July 1968 as the Metropolitan Health Council of Indianapolis, Inc., an Indiana non-profit corporation, intended to aid uninsured Indianapolis poor who could not get medical and nursing care, an innovative and radical concept at that time. At the beginning the Council coordinated activities, raised funds and evaluated the neighborhood health centers located in the inner city. From 1974-1984, the Council developed and operated its own HMO, the MetroHealth Plan. In 1985 the Council sold the MetroHealth Plan, changed its name to the Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis, Inc., and became a funding organization. The records consist of legal and corporate records, board and committee records, meeting files, administrative and financial records, records of associated organizations, correspondence, publications, awarded grants, rejected grant proposals and photographs.
Collection ID: MSS001
Hugh N. Brown Papers, 1940-1991
Hugh N. Brown is a freelance fund-raising consultant and retired high school teacher. He spent the majority of his life teaching during the school year and consulting during summer vacation. His consulting work focused in the fields of education, religion, and health. The collection consists of personal and work papers, 1940-1991, documenting a 50-year career as a consultant in the fundraising profession. Included are the fundraising campaign files outlining the development of a program.
Collection ID: MSS011
Independent Sector Records, 1954-2007, bulk 1980-2007
Independent Sector (IS) was founded in 1980 as a coalition of corporate, foundation and voluntary organizations for the purpose of encouraging charitable giving, volunteering and nonprofit activities in the United States. Its mission is to promote, strengthen, and advance the nonprofit and philanthropic community to foster private initiative for the public good. By 2004, the organization maintained a membership of approximately 500 of the nation's leading nonprofit agencies and funders of nonprofit work. The collection consists of board minutes, committee reports, correspondence, publications, lobbying efforts, and conference materials.
Collection ID: MSS046
Indiana AIDS Fund Records, 1986-2005
The Indiana AIDS Fund (IAF) was founded in 1994 as a private, philanthropic fund-raising and grant-making institution with the goal of supporting HIV/AIDS prevention, education, and services in Indiana. It began as a joint fund-raising and distribution initiative jointly convened by The Health Foundation of Greater Indianapolis and the Indiana State Department of Health. Their efforts spanned the state geographically, and funding priorities centered on HIV prevention programs, harm reduction programs and advocacy, secondary HIV prevention programs (i.e., slowing disease progress), and at-risk populations including youth, injection drug users, and adults belonging to a range of gender, race, and ethnic groups.
Collection ID: MSS047
Indiana Campus Compact Records, 1988-2019
Indiana Campus Compact is a 501(c)(3) non-profit partnership of Indiana's public, private, and community college higher education institutions focused on advocating, implementing, and improving community engagement efforts so that students graduate as well-informed, engaged, and productive members of society who are fully enabled to provide leadership and service that advances the public good in their communities. Indiana Campus Compact is a state affiliate of Campus Compact.
Collection ID: MSS157
Indiana FFA Association Records, 1910s-2006
The Indiana FFA Association, formed in 1929, was the 19th state association chartered by the National FFA Organization, an agricultural education organization consisting of 52 chartered state associations including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Each state association is governed by its own constitution approved by the National FFA Organization and is comprised of chapters within secondary schools throughout the state. In 1968 the Indiana FFA Leadership Center was established in Trafalgar, Indiana, to house leadership activities, the State FFA Officers, and state staff. By 2004, the Indiana FFA Association included 9,000 members in 188 chapters statewide.
Collection ID: MSS054
Indiana Humanities Council Records, 1996-2005
Indiana Humanities Council (IHC) is a statewide nonprofit organization based in Indianapolis that was established in 1972. The purpose of the organization is to infuse the humanities into people's daily lives by providing grants and programs as one of 56 Humanities Councils affiliated with the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) in the United States. This collection contains documents from two programs related to IHC's work donated by Beth Kloote: Habits of the Heart and the Aspen Summit: Rethinking the Public Humanities conference.
Collection ID: MSS172
Indiana Literacy Foundation Records, 1989-2005
The Indiana Literacy Foundation (ILF) was established in February of 1993, in Indianapolis, Indiana and operated for twelve years until it shut down in January of 2005, citing lack of financial sustainability. The organization, consisting primarily of its board members, worked to provide funds for voluntary literacy programs throughout the state of Indiana while simultaneously operating programs designed to increase awareness of adult literacy concerns and directly provide training for literacy tutors.
Collection ID: MSS062
Indianapolis Foundation Records, 1916-2000
The Indianapolis Foundation was created in 1916 by the resolution of three financial institutions, the Fletcher Trust Company, Indiana Trust Company, and Union Trust Company. It was officially introduced as one of the first community foundations in the United States in the January 5, 1916, edition of the Indianapolis Star. According to the resolution, income from the Indianapolis Foundation would "be dispersed by said companies on the written order of a board of trustees for such charitable uses as well in its judgment promote the welfare of persons now or hereafter residing in Indianapolis, Indiana." The foundation began making grants in 1924 and today continues to give to Indianapolis organizations to help improve the quality of life in the city.
Collection ID: MSS049
Indiana Senior Corps Directors Association Records, 1994-2009
Indiana Senior Corps Directors Association (ISCDA) was organized to unite all Senior Corps Directors into a state-wide organization. This association combines the three programs, Foster Grandparent Program (FGP), Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), and Senior Companion Program (SCP). The by-laws, New Director Handbook, RSVP Director's Manual for New RSVP Directors of Indiana, Words of Wisdom for RSVP Directors, two photographs of RSVP volunteer conference, and RSVP pins are included.
Collection ID: MSS168
James C. Penney Foundation Records, 1929-1999
The James C. Penney Foundation was created in 1954 by the merchant, James Cash Penney, and his wife, Caroline A. Penney. James C. Penney was born on September 16, 1875 near Hamilton, Missouri. In the early 1900s he purchased his first store, called the Golden Rule. His values, emphasizing both the customer and the employee, helped him build a chain of Golden Rule stores that was renamed the J.C. Penney Company, Inc. in 1913. Penney's personal philanthropy began with death of his second wife, Mary. He formed the J.C. Penney Foundation in 1925 in her memory to help support youth programs and the Penney Farms, a retirement community founded by Penney for ministers. The J.C. Penney Foundation folded after the stock market crash in 1929, but Penney regained his personal fortune and renewed his interest in philanthropy over the next two decades. In 1954 he and his wife, Caroline, founded a second foundation, called the James C. Penney Foundation.
Collection ID: MSS044
JEHT Foundation Records, 1974-2019, bulk 2002-2008
The JEHT Foundation was established in 2000 by its trustees based on the core values behind its proposed mission: "justice, equality, human dignity, and tolerance." Most of their efforts focused on grant making and advocacy in support of community justice, and by 2008, JEHT advertised its primary areas of interest as: 1) criminal justice; 2) juvenile justice; 3) international justice; and 4) fair and participatory elections. The Foundation was forced to cease operations in December of 2008 when Bernie Madoff was arrested for securities fraud, resulting in the loss of most of JEHT's financial assets, invested with Madoff for more than 30 years.
Collection ID: MSS089
John Gomperts Papers, 1965-1966, 1991-2012, bulk 1994-2001
John Gomperts is the current President and CEO of America's Promise Alliance. This collection primarily focuses on his time working with the Corporation for National and Community Service, first as Chief of Staff and later as the Director of AmeriCorps.
Collection ID: MSS149
John H. Boner Community Center Records, 1950-2018, bulk 1971-2017
The Near Eastside Multi-Service Center (NEMSC) was founded in 1971 as a nonprofit, community-based agency designed to coordinate and provide social services and programs for the diverse population of the near eastside of Indianapolis. In 1994, NEMSC officially changed its name to the John H. Boner Community Center (JHBCC) in order to honor John H. Boner, a long-time active member and director of the organization. Historically, the JHBCC's services have shifted based on funding and community needs, but they largely focus on cooperating with other neighborhood and Indianapolis organizations to provide social services, housing, and community programming to inhabitants of the near eastside community.
Collection ID: MSS137
John J. Schwartz Papers, 1948-1994
John J. Schwartz, fund raising executive and author, worked hard to assist in the development of standards and ethics for fund-raising professionals and to influence legislation on the national and state level. During his 41 active years in the field, Schwartz was employed by various philanthropic organizations including John Price Jones, Inc., Fund Raising for Traveler Aid Society of New York, Development for the Community Service Society, G.A. Brakeley & Co., the American Cancer Society, and American Association of Fund Raising Counsel, Inc. (AAFRC). Schwartz spent a majority of his career, 1966-1987, at AAFRC, advancing to become the President of the organization in 1973 until his retirement. Throughout his career, he has served on various boards and committees promoting the understanding of philanthropy and was instrumental in the establishment of Coalition of National Voluntary Organizations (CONVO), Independent Sector, and the Indiana University Center on Philanthropy. The papers consist of records documenting his involvement with several philanthropic organizations as an employee and as a member of professional organizations. Included are organizational information, correspondence, meeting minutes, project reports, conferences, articles and papers.
Collection ID: MSS031