Working Men’s Institute
407 Tavern Street
New Harmony, Indiana 47631, United StatesVisit Working Men’s Institute
Established by philanthropist William Maclure in 1838, the Working Men’s Institute (WMI) is devoted to the dissemination of useful knowledge. The WMI’s Branigin Archive houses manuscripts and artifacts from New Harmony’s two communal societies (Harmonist and Owenite) and the after glow period (1825-1890) when New Harmony was known as the Athens on the Wabash.